What's this caterpillar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2007
I am not sure if I am in the right place to post this, but here goes....

I saw some caterpillars on one of my bushes this morning. I live outside of Sosua (Perla Marina.) The caterpillars were about four inches long with an orange head and black and white striped body.

My gardens are full of a variety of butterflies and I didn't want to kill the caterpillars, but they were voraciously consuming all the flowers on this bush and many leaves as well.

My gardner decided to fumigate.

I searched the internet for photos to identify what I had seen, but had no success. I did read that most caterpillars are difficult to kill with insecticide. The recommended method to do away with them was to collect them in a paper bag. Ugh!

Anyone have any idea what the name of these critters is? What kind of a butterfly are they, eventually?

Thanks, in advance for any info.

Lindsey

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
Here is your caterpillar:
caterpillar.jpg

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Very interesting...Isn't the Internet a wonderful thing? How else in the world would you find this info?

Seeing the caterpillar I too would expect to produce a beautiful butterfly, but it produces a gray moth...

Aug 21, 2007
Yep. THAT'S my caterpillar. And it produces a gray moth??? I am glad the gardener fumigated! Thanks so very much for the info.

Lindsey

Status
Not open for further replies.