Movie in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
We are trying out something new at Las Canas. We have the space and equipment for showing movies, full screen and will be showing AMERICAN GANGSTER on Friday at 8:00 pm. Not exactly a movie theater, more like a drive in without the cars. What the heck, it's free.

Every one is invited. Maybe come early for dinner! Popcorn, candy, sodas and beer are available as well! Come on up and have fun!

If this works out and we get some positive response, we can make it a weekly event. I just want to try it out and see if there is any interest.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This movie just came out. Denzel Wanshington is in it. Supposed to be great.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Seeing that I've never been to Las Canas and don't know anything about where you are, I'm just wondering, will the movie setting be inside or outside? I just can't deal with mosquitos at night but would love to see the movie.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
The movie is going to be shown in a vestibule type area. Outdoors, but with roof protection. It is a good, dry area. I attended one last week, and was not bothered at all by mosquitoes. You could wear some repellant (I have extra if you need it).

We have room for about 35 or 40 people. Might be good to let me know if you are coming so I can add extra seats.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Be very careful doing this. What you are doing is 100% illegal. It's a public showing of a copyrighted film. Didn't the old Voodo lounge try this once and have a few legal issues?

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Movie cancelled.

I should have done my research first. Definately not a good idea. Movie cancelled.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
If you get everyone to sign a list (with their name & address) and join a club (I leave it to you to make up the name !), then they are part of a private club and you can show them what you like.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you get everyone to sign a list (with their name & address) and join a club (I leave it to you to make up the name !), then they are part of a private club and you can show them what you like.

Even if it were a legitimate "Copy" of the film, you are still in violation of The Copyright Act of 1976, Public Law No. 94-553, 90 stat 2591: Title 17; Section 110(i) by showing it to multiple viewers without purchase of a Public Performance Site License.

tambo'

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
According to this law almost everyone that buys a DVD and watch it with his family and friends ("multiple viewers") will be breaking this act !?!?

I think the word "Public" assumes that everyone can attend. If you have a registered private club with registered members, it means the performance is not open to the public hence the "Public Law" does not apply.

(But knowing the film industry I am sure they found another Law/Act somewhere else to have a go....! ).

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What constitutes a public performance of an entertainment movie?
Exhibitions of an entertainment movie to groups outside the privacy of a home setting are public showings. Most public performances of a videocassette or DVD in a public room (including library meeting rooms), whether or not a fee is charged, would be an infringement. Such performances require specific permission from the copyright owner.

Public Libraries | Movie Licensing USA

Status
Not open for further replies.