cell phones

carynf

Nov 27, 2007
do cell phones,specifically iPhones, work in the D.R., both for cell phone access but more importantly for email and wifi connectivity?
thx, cf

benetlyne

Feb 2, 2003
Hi

Dont Iphone need a special carrier ... and beside u will be on vacation who needs a cell phone on vacation mine will stay at home

Ben

ridiela

Jan 22, 2007
Yes iphones do work in the Dominican Republic.

Actually if the phone works or not, does not depend on the model, you have to check with your carrier if you have international roaming active.

If you are from the US or Europe, you should not have any trouble, anyway call your carrier and ask about International Roaming.

Enjoy your vacation.

ridiela

Jan 22, 2007
I forgot to answer about Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi works all over the world, you may go to "La Yuca Caliente" or "Alisei" they both have Wi-Fi.

carynf

Nov 27, 2007
thanks for the responses. precisely, it's not for business (what business? I'm an artist! but just the occasional piece of mind (the four cats at home with the house sitter!) caryn

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I forgot to answer about Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi works all over the world, you may go to "La Yuca Caliente" or "Alisei" they both have Wi-Fi.

Never used the wi fi there but strongly recommend "La Yuca Caliente", great dining establishment just a short walk from Alisei. Service is top notch andfood is good too;).

carynf

Nov 27, 2007
hmmmm, I'll be sure to check w/ At&t on how to avoid that one, anyone out there know how? I do know there are roaming charges in DR, but I'm not planning on using the phone part of it - I know that sounds a little strange since it IS a cell phone, but it's so great for going online and carrying around photos (examples of paintings, I'm an artist), music, etc.

Is Alisei a town? nr LT? or Playa Bonita? Sorry for my ignorance, but I've seen it mentioned a few times, and I'm always (always) to take on suggestions for great places to eat.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
hmmmm, I'll be sure to check w/ At&t on how to avoid that one, anyone out there know how? I do know there are roaming charges in DR, but I'm not planning on using the phone part of it - I know that sounds a little strange since it IS a cell phone, but it's so great for going online and carrying around photos (examples of paintings, I'm an artist), music, etc.

Is Alisei a town? nr LT? or Playa Bonita? Sorry for my ignorance, but I've seen it mentioned a few times, and I'm always (always) to take on suggestions for great places to eat.

Alisei is a hotel in the town of Las Terrenas. We stayed there recently and thought it was a great place, value and location-wise. Also, their restaurant on-site is not to be missed, especially their cappucino's and lechosa batitas.

carynf

Nov 27, 2007
aha! cappucinos always on my "do" list, along with culinary explorations

now all I have to do is look up lechosa batitas....some kind of little milk chocolates?!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
aha! cappucinos always on my "do" list, along with culinary explorations

now all I have to do is look up lechosa batitas....some kind of little milk chocolates?!

I'll save you the trouble...its kinda like a smoothie...made with papaya!

carynf

Nov 27, 2007
"I'll save you the trouble...its kinda like a smoothie...made with papaya!"

too late! soon after my post I realized "chocolate" is too close a cognate to be right, and with a little searching, I discovered translations for both alcoholic (rum based) and non alcoholic fruit smoothies - either sounds worth an investigative hike.

And lest I be accused of further transgression:surprised --see how valuable having an iphone would be on my trip? I would be missing out on all the info I'm getting from you guys.

Does Orange sell them or do I need to go to Claro?

As for Iphone providers (again my ignorance revealed - I don't have a clue what Orange is, probably a batitas bar!) - AT&T is the only one - the current grumbling point about iphones, no choices. Most dedicated Apple users don't care. And I'm more interested in carrying the internet in my pocket, along with a camera, tunes and photos all in one tricky little item. Will keep my fingers off the cell phone part though - I do hear those roaming charges are outrageous,

ciao (or is it chow?) cf

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
"I'll save you the trouble...its kinda like a smoothie...made with papaya!"

too late! soon after my post I realized "chocolate" is too close a cognate to be right, and with a little searching, I discovered translations for both alcoholic (rum based) and non alcoholic fruit smoothies - either sounds worth an investigative hike.

And lest I be accused of further transgression:surprised --see how valuable having an iphone would be on my trip? I would be missing out on all the info I'm getting from you guys.

As for Iphone providers (again my ignorance revealed - I don't have a clue what Orange is, probably a batitas bar!) - AT&T is the only one - the current grumbling point about iphones, no choices. Most dedicated Apple users don't care. And I'm more interested in carrying the internet in my pocket, along with a camera, tunes and photos all in one tricky little item. Will keep my fingers off the cell phone part though - I do hear those roaming charges are outrageous,

ciao (or is it chow?) cf

Orange and Claro are local wireless service providers!

Good luck and enjoy!

carynf

Nov 27, 2007
Orange and Claro are local wireless service providers!

Good luck and enjoy!

so the pun is indeed perfect - sounded like the names of batitas bars to me!

Here is some really useful news I got for iPhone users - a way to prevent those horrendous roaming charges that fellow mentioned -

Just before leaving the country, call the International dept. of your provider (AT&T, for you iPhone users, is 1-877-201-9521), and ask them to turn off the network roaming for your account for the period of your time abroad. You can still use wi-fi, listen to tunes, etc. you just can't use the phone part, but do you really want to at those horrendous rates:eek:?

I know, it IS an iPHONE, but you can still get all your communicating done for free via the email part, so it's still a pretty useful item when you leave the U.S., til Apple gets their head on straight and adds that component.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Perhaps I am missing something here, if you turn off the roaming, how do you plan on receiving a wireless signal for the internet?

Make sure you get a name and number from the AT&T Rep if you are going to "Roam" for free. I have a good friend that thought he was roaming for FREE on Verizon from NY and got a wireless bill for $1800 for his wireless web surfing in DR. He was able to talk his way out of all but $100.

Don't believe everything phone company's tell you, and get a name and extension.

tambo'

carynf

Nov 27, 2007
Perhaps I am missing something here, if you turn off the roaming, how do you plan on receiving a wireless signal for the internet?

Make sure you get a name and number from the AT&T Rep if you are going to "Roam" for free. I have a good friend that thought he was roaming for FREE on Verizon from NY and got a wireless bill for $1800 for his wireless web surfing in DR. He was able to talk his way out of all but $100.

Don't believe everything phone company's tell you, and get a name and extension.

tambo'

I absolutely agree re not believing everything they tell you; so I went ahead and called AT&T and this is what they said: The internet and the cell phone are all bundled up together on something called GPRS internet, which goes through the GSM cell tower technology. But you can choose (on your phone) whether to use the towers or a closed wireless connection like what you might have in your home, that is password protected). And they aren't the ones that stop or start the service on your phone, but they sent me to Applecare so they could show me how to do it directly on MY phone.

SO here's the ticket - on your phone, you go into Settings -> General ->Network -> and turn "data roaming" OFF. Then you join the network wherever you are (Alisei or whatever) and it will go through regular wireless internet waves (or whatever those things are!) not through the GPRS tower, and bingo, no roaming charges.

You can actually see by an icon on the phone that you are working off a wireless or an "EDGE" connection (the latter is their cell technology, which apparently the iphone is always roaming about looking to connect to.) Both told me it is better to turn off the Wi-Fi option when you are not on line (also accessed through Settings) because it uses up battery power (because the iPhone is constantly trying to connect, which takes energy, poor thing.)

Does that sound more logical to you? I'm not sure if I am more or less confused, but I am glad I read your post because it encouraged me to go ahead and get more info. And I really trust the techs at Applecare, I've been using them for years now and they've never steered me wrong.

And I think this forum is fabulous!!!!! thx, cf

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I personally would leave the iPhone home and use a cheapo cell phone with local service. I am not that addicted to it, and would rather not have it stolen.
There are cheap internet cafes everywhere for e mail, if you really need it!
tambo'