your opinion

L

lana

We have found a two bedroom apartment in bavaro, that costs $700 US per month, is this a good rate? Your opinions will be much apprecited. Thanks

D

Duck

In Montecristi (and many other small towns) you can get a full sized house (There are a few 150 - 190 m2) with garden (newly built with most emmenities except air conditionig - which shouldn't matter unless you're from "N.A.") 1 minute from the center of town for about $US 300,- and have nice peace and quiet, and a beautiful view. Montecristi is very nice, however there are practically no tourists there (depending on how you define it is either an advantage or disadvantage). You can also rent a 2-bedroom apartment of local standard (which isn't the worst I've seen on the island) for $75 - $150.

I guess it depends on what and where you're looking for. If $700 is OK for you and you like the place - fine if it suits your needs. You can get a lot more than 2 bedrooms elsewhere though.

Duck

G

Gunnar

Agree. For 700 USD/month you should have like 6 bedrooms,
private swimming-pool etc. I pay 25 USD/month for a low-end
deal.

R

RW

Gunnar & Duck

Do either of you know about places to rent outside of Montecristi, specifically in Santo Domingo. I am wondering b/c I plan to move to the DR in late August or early Sept. and I would like to live in Santo Domingo. I am looking to rent an apartment or house for fairly cheap w/o a lot of amenities. Do you know of anything off hand or even have a suggestion as to where to look. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!

G

Gunnar

Re: Gunnar & Duck

Check <A HREF="http://www.listin.com.do">www.listin.com.do</A> and <A HREF="http://www.hoy.com.do">www.hoy.com.do</A> - the two major
newspapers. Have friends in Najayo, reasonably close to SD,
but I understood you'd like to live IN SD.
If you're capable (to sustain and defend), go to the part of
'la Fez' and ask in any colmado. It's cheap, but the area is
unsafe!

R

RW

Gunnar,

Ok, thanks for the info. I will maybe check out la Fez when I arrive. Is it extremely unsafe? I lived in Los Alcarrizos for about 1 yr. and many Dominicans considered that area "unsafe" to live in. Are you familiar with Los Alcarrizos? -b/c just wondering if it is considered about the same as la Fez.

Thanks again for your help,

Rhnea

G

Gunnar

Nope, I'm not familiar with Los Alcarrizos. My neighbour in
la Fez, a 6' and some, military, and armed as such, didn't
go out after 10 pm. It's not really that bad, but you have
to be prepared to do things your mother wouldn't approve,
just to 'establish a status'