For people that want to move to DR

fago

Feb 7, 2007
Well....

What i can say is that:
-i came in the DR one month ago ALREADY having found a Job in an American company in Santo Domingo

- with a salary considered in DR very competitive (in Europe would be on average, not more)
- i speak fluent spanish and fluent "dominicano" too
- my wife is Dominican
- her family is rich and with very good social relations
- they helped me to find house, car, ....

.BUT , despite all these things i realized that:

- everything is much more expensive then i thought (and i've been here before 2 times BUT on vacation........)
- you have to spend money for things that in Europe are FREE like water and light
- you have to worry about things like Mosquitos Aedes Aegypti, "ojos" in the streets....
- really noisy
- very old japanese cars cost a lot of money!!

BUT:

with the same money earned in Europe :
- i have a bigger apartment
- i can be member of a beatiful gym
- i can be member to a sport club with swimming pool, tennis coutrs, soccer.....
- your baby can go to a good international school (pre-escolar)
- you can take your car and go to the a beatiful beach in 30 minutes

SO. in life nothing is totally balck and totally white. depends how you see things. and don t think i' always been so mauture....3 weeks ago i was thinking" oh what did i do!!? it' s been a mistake.coming here..oh my god...i want my water in toilette back...etc but now i'm realizing taht probably i won t settle here but experiences always makes you grow BUT you have to face them with a positive attitude..
SO my warning is:
DONT COME HERE WITHOUT ALREADY HAVING FOUND A JOB, PAYED AT LEAST THE SAME YOU WERE PAID IN YOUR NATIVE COUNTRY FROM WHERE YOU ARE MOVING TO FIND SOMETHING BETTER OR AN EXPERIENCE THAT COULD ENRICH YOU! BE RESPONSIBLE ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE KIDS....................

fago

Feb 7, 2007
...obviously you pay for light (not for water)....i meant that in Italy you don t need to have a "planta full" or "inversor" (that costs money) and you can drink with no problems the water from the cock . It means SAVING money..but i hope that you don t focus on that point only..

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
I dont know where my post went , so I assume it was deleted, for what reason I do not know. I didnt just focus on that statement , I was trying to educate myself, and asked you........do you not pay for light( electricity), and water in Europe, as I would figure that you would, as you do here in Canada.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Post is not

about whether one pays for water or lights here, there and everyway. It's one man's observations on living in the DR vs....etc.
So your comments to his post are------.

BTW I think his post was an honest apprasil of his decision to move to the DR, for better or worse, caution advise for others and implied thoughts on what he might do in the future.
john

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
fago, you have only 1 month in DR, maybe time will fix many problems. We use to say
"the devil is not that dark ...". Wish you luck. And please keep us update with your endeavours. Thank you.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
They also say....

fago, you have only 1 month in DR, maybe time will fix many problems. We use to say
"the devil is not that dark ...". Wish you luck. And please keep us update with your endeavours. Thank you.

"with a barrel full of money you can solve any problem"

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
Well you may think my post is ______, whatever word your using, but does that make it wrong for me to ask a question. He was stating ( or made it sound like) , you dont pay for these things in Europe , but you do DR. In fact he made it a point to use caps on FREE. That in all the post is what surprised me, as a lot of the rest of the post has been talked about many times here, in different threads.

Anyway sorry I offended people by asking a question. I guess im not going to get an answer about it anyway.

Good luck in the DR fargo

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Not as Cheap as you thought...

In doing small amount of research I have surmised that many items in the DR are more expensive than elsewhere...electronics, clothes, cars, gas, etc...BUT I believe you can make up the difference in human services, like a maid or a gardener. When it's all totaled it appears that the DR is less expensive OVERALL. I think a lot of us were mistakenly under the impression that everything is cheaper in the DR.

Thank you for your post.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I think fago makes some valid points. There are people that jump into the fire thinking that life in the DR is going to be like some all inclusive vacation. There have been a few people recently talking about going to live in the DR. I think it is a great adventure for a single person but a single parent bringing a couple of children to raise is living in fantasy world and being very selfish.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Most start up acquisitions are indeed pricey, but then you don't need to buy your new furniture, car, kitchen stuff every day. And once you have found your way around for your daily shopping needs, prices will prove quite acceptable, especially with an "average" European income, as you put it.

... J-D.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Buy a home and get your start up acquisitions in the UK now and look at the cost!! Then pay your Council tax, water rates, electricity, gas and telephone/ internet bills + insurances for this, that and the other and then compare..... there is just no comparison so the electricity outages, cockerels crowing all day, theft of your electricity cables and other things like that are just something you adapt to or you don't but they are compensated by always living in a warm, friendly climate in my opinion (for what it's worth).