North American Companies in DR

Sany

Oct 2, 2007
Good day to all,

Does anyone know the name/s of the American and Canadian (if any) owned companies in the DR? Or, where I could be directed to find them (tried google, could be me, but didn't get much) Also, are the majority of then in Santo Domingo? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
One more thing, is there a city by the name of St. Louis (sp?) in Santo Domingo? Thanks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There's a small town called San Luis to the east of the city, on the old San Pedro road.

There are hundreds of multinationals with a DR presence, many of them are Canadian and American, so where would one start? Maybe you could narrow it down a little?

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Canadian Companies

Good day to all,

Does anyone know the name/s of the American and Canadian (if any) owned companies in the DR? Or, where I could be directed to find them (tried google, could be me, but didn't get much) Also, are the majority of then in Santo Domingo? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
One more thing, is there a city by the name of St. Louis (sp?) in Santo Domingo? Thanks.

Try here, they must have some sort of a record of Canadian companies.

Dominican Republic :: Home :: Canada - Dominican Republic :: Canadian Offices in Dominican Republic

Sany

Oct 2, 2007
There's a small town called San Luis to the east of the city, on the old San Pedro road.

There are hundreds of multinationals with a DR presence, many of them are Canadian and American, so where would one start? Maybe you could narrow it down a little?

Companies which are NA owned located in Santo Domingo, in the following fields:Telecommunications, Financial Institutions, Real Estate Development etc... I guess companies that "pay well", or, any that pays an equivalance to about $2000 USD monthy. BTW, this is merely for research, I do not plan on living there.
Are you able to shed some light on San Luis? Like cost of living, poverty (or not) anything at all that could assisit someone if they planned on visiting that particular location... Please be as candid as possible, much appreciated.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The San Luis I'm thinking of is very poor - practically a batey (cane cutter settlement) - wooden shacks, colmado, banca, gallera and not much more...

Financial institutions - many of the big international accountancy firms are in the city itself, international banks not so much - Citibank, Scotia Bank - but you'd have to be a pretty high-up exec to aspire to US$2000 per month.

Companies like Microsoft, international ad agencies, ReMax all have a presence here - but in some cases the brand name is franchised and it's a local structure with local salaries.

retail - Price Smart, Radio Shack, and a few other familiar names from the US.

Food - all the big names are here - KFC, McDonalds, BK, Wendy's, Pizza Hut... but these are franchises of course.

Telecoms - Centennial - the others are Mexican (Codetel) and French-owned (Orange).

There are also the embassies, private schools and NGOs to consider. Depends on your skills and interests, of course.

The only way is for you to come and have a look around yourself. But as countless posters before me have said - the job market here is highly competitive and contacts are everything.