moving to the dr

happygomary

Dec 10, 2007
am thinking of moving to the dom rep within the next 9 months! have been there many times on holiday and fell in love with the place!! anybody out there who could give me any good advice about finding work, in the areas of puerto plata or sousa!! any tips about moving, living out there and generally what to expect would really be welcome!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
1. Jobs are few and far between but can be found - just don't expect much pay, usually less than a fifth of what you make now.

2. I hope you speak Spanish fluently, otherwise you may not find work and if you don't know any English speakers this could be very problematic as there are few English speakers in this country.

3. If you are coming here becasue you met some Dominican guy at a resort, forget it, he will more than likely get you pregnant, sts, take your money and leave you at best or convince him to marry him so you can take him back home. There are hundreds of examples right here on this forum under the Sankie section that exactly this happened.

If you met him at a church service while on missionary work, it could be different. Chances are if you met him on the coastal areas you will just be a target.

4. If you do come anyway, but a round trip ticket that you know you can change the return date just in case.

5. Many people have done exactly what you did and spent their life savings only to have to turn around and leave. Most people who come here to stay either are finacially independent or have married a Dominican. There is a small percentage that have started their own business and made it or work and others who work here - but again they are a small percentage.

good luck

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
am thinking of moving to the dom rep within the next 9 months! have been there many times on holiday and fell in love with the place!! anybody out there who could give me any good advice about finding work, in the areas of puerto plata or sousa!! any tips about moving, living out there and generally what to expect would really be welcome!!

You can probably get a job working as a time share sales person, but it's only commission base and there is a really fast turn around.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Homework Ahead

... any tips about moving, living out there and generally what to expect ...
... are all found on this message board.
Use the 'search' button and read, read and read.
(Don't forget the 'Sankie 101' subforum...)

Janin

fago

Feb 7, 2007
Well....

What i can say is that:
-i came in the DR one month ago ALREADY having found a Job in an American company in Santo Domingo

- with a salary considered in DR very competitive (in Europe would be on average, not more)
- i speak fluent spanish and fluent "dominicano" too
- my wife is Dominican
- her family is rich and with very good social relations
- they helped me to find house, car, ....

.BUT , despite all these things i realized that:

- everything is much more expensive then i thought (and i've been here before 2 times BUT on vacation........)
- you have to spend money for things that in Europe are FREE like water and light
- you have to worry about things like Mosquitos Aedes Aegypti, "ojos" in the streets....
- really noisy
- very old japanese cars cost a lot of money!!

BUT:

with the same money earned in Europe :
- i have a bigger apartment
- i can be member of a beatiful gym
- i can be member to a sport club with swimming pool, tennis coutrs, soccer.....
- your baby can go to a good international school (pre-escolar)
- you can take your car and go to the a beatiful beach in 30 minutes

SO. in life nothing is totally balck and totally white. depends how you see things. and don t think i' always been so mauture....3 weeks ago i was thinking" oh what did i do!!? it' s been a mistake.coming here..oh my god...i want my water in toilette back...etc but now i'm realizing taht probably i won t settle here but experiences always makes you grow BUT you have to face them with a positive attitude..
SO my warning is:
DONT COME HERE WITHOUT ALREADY HAVING FOUND A JOB, PAYED AT LEAST THE SAME YOU WERE PAID IN YOUR NATIVE COUNTRY FROM WHERE YOU ARE MOVING TO FIND SOMETHING BETTER OR AN EXPERIENCE THAT COULD ENRICH YOU! BE RESPONSIBLE ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE KIDS....................

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Mary - there are jobs in the area. If you PM or email me with your resume I will see what I can do to help.

You have received some great info already - use the search funtion above and read as much as you can! Remember everything here is someone's opinion and or experience - it is not right or wrong. Just keep reading until you start to get the picture.

Of course when you arrive it will all be new to you. take the time you need to adjust, come with some money to keep yourself going and get yourself set up. Stay low profile until you get a sense of things, get your confidence and for heavens sake be careful who you associate with!

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
you have to spend money for things that in Europe are FREE like water and light
Hi fago. I live in Europe. Please post instructions for obtaining free water and light there as I have obviously been doing it wrong for 48 years!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004

I dont see how anyone could have been to the DR "many" times and not been a member of DR1 before asking to move there. One cant even be well prepared for a vacation without reading DR1! Use search function and spend a few hundred hours reading.

fago

Feb 7, 2007
"Hi fago. I live in Europe. Please post instructions for obtaining free water and light there as I have obviously been doing it wrong for 48 years!"

always the same story.........obviously you pay for LIGHT (a lot of money) and for water (very cheap) i was meaning that in Europe you dont have to buy "un inversor" (500dollars) or pay for a "planta" and you can save money not being obliged buying water to drink because you can freely drink the one of the cock. THAT'S It

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
... you can save money not being obliged buying water to drink because you can freely drink the one of the cock. THAT'S It

fago, I know that English is not your first language. It is better not get the the word 'cock' confused. The thing where water comes out of, is called a tap, or a faucet. :laugh::laugh:

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
"Hi fago. I live in Europe. Please post instructions for obtaining free water and light there as I have obviously been doing it wrong for 48 years!"

always the same story.........obviously you pay for LIGHT (a lot of money) and for water (very cheap) i was meaning that in Europe you dont have to buy "un inversor" (500dollars) or pay for a "planta" and you can save money not being obliged buying water to drink because you can freely drink the one of the cock. THAT'S It

I'd love to know which part of Europe that is - I live in Europe and its far from free for light or water. Yes we can drink from the TAP but it does cost money - we pay for every drop, wither via a meter or a yearly set amount. And as for the lighting - electricity is far from being cheap here. So although we don't have to buy bottled water - the water from the tap that is drinkable does cost money. ;)

fago

Feb 7, 2007
please stop focusing on the story of light and water it's not a matter of such importance...! and you DO NOT live in the DR so how can you compare the two situations...? Do you have to buy a generator or a planta in any country of Europe? No, so it's 500dollars saved..
Anyway is just one of the millions of examples that i could provide just to make you think well about moving without having received infos.
Then ,obviously, everyone is free to do what he wants ,ignoring helpful suggestions....

Vilma

Jan 2, 2008
Please Help!
I am a Human Resources Profesional and in need of a job in DR. I will be moving there permanently in about a year. Any advice?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Please Help!
I am a Human Resources Profesional and in need of a job in DR. I will be moving there permanently in about a year. Any advice?

Look very carefully and do much research.... are you looking for similar employment in the DR? If so, look very carefully before you jump!!

Vilma

Jan 2, 2008
yes, i know i need to look carefully, however i don't know where to begin. Any specific advice?