Whats the road like between Perdenales and Lago Enriquilo?

Min&John

Nov 9, 2007
We are going to be touring the Perdenales Penninsula in about a week and were hoping to drive all the way arround. We had also read that the N.-S. road on the west side had some great birding so were wanting to go the length of it. However we realize that the huricane this fall did significant damage to this part of the D.R. sooo any information would be helpful.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Pedernales - Jimani

The road between Pedernales and Jimani is very, very rugged -may actually be impassable at the moment- you would need a solid 4x4 or off-road motorbike to make it. Easier to return to Barahona and drive to Jimani through Cabral.

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
I went a year ago, and it is quite rough, especially the descent on the southern side, on the northern side the road goes through a creek bed for a while, so the rains might have damaged it quite a lot I guess.
There is another road, which is actually closed by a gate if you start in the south (it starts at the end of the large asfalted road done by the americans which leads to cabo rojo and then goes up to the moutains to the baoxide mines - this is the best road in DR, the rouhg road starts just before you arrive to ranger station). In the north it starts at Puerto Escondido, it does following the border, it is more eaterly then the road which closely follows the border. I travelled it for about 10 km from puerto Escondido, but it was too risky just for one car to travell on (the road was not used for a long time by car and was overground by shrubs a lot), so I turned back and took the more westernly track road.

AB80

Jun 8, 2008
Does anyone took this road recently? I am planing to visit this part of the country soon and would prefer to go from Pedernales to the Lago Enriquillo directly than coming back to Barahona!