TGIF (friday's) coming to santiago

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Congratulations to santiago for having TGIF restaurant soon in the parking lot of Gran Almirante hotel. I tthink they will do good here. The construction is already in progress.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
It will not be cheap but it sure will be famous among santiagueros. I can see how every girl would want to point the guys towards this restaurant. Good luck.
AZB

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
It will not be cheap but it sure will be famous among santiagueros. I can see how every girl would want to point the guys towards this restaurant. Good luck.
AZB

AZB, do you think it will be a big deal, it's TGI's Friday nothing big here in the states.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I hope they have a decent steak with mashed potatoes and gravy and a salad at a decent price. Other than that I prefer criolla food.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It will do well, because all the "distinguished" people of Santiago will want to visit and "be seen" there to show off how "cool" they are that they are hanging out at an American restaurant...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It will do well, because all the "distinguished" people of Santiago will want to visit and "be seen" there to show off how "cool" they are that they are hanging out at an American restaurant...

Is this really true? Because TGIFridays' is absolute crap. It's the type of place that people go after work to eat bad food, get loud and drink cheap beer or a place where families from the ghetto go for a classy night out(well, classy for them, which is pretty much anything not eaten straight out of a garbage can).

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006

Both the Guayaquil and Quito TGIF restaurants have been considered a hangout place for the upper middle class. I've hung out in both locations and food is not bad. Plus what attracts a lot of people is that it serves oversized drinks, always plays american music, people actually like staff members to sing them happy birthday and the food is not thad bad.. Chip, they have a steak with jack daniels sauce on the side, it's pretty tasty. I'd think they would consider it for this upcoming location. I think I paid about $15-16 !

I've been to the one in SD and has always been packed !

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
TGIF is a big deal here and will be a bigger deal in santiago. You can't compare this restaurant to the ones in USA because first of all, it will be more expensive, then the place is unique because we don't have many places like these in santiago. Then the place will be a popular hangout for classy sexy elegant santiagueras, chicas finas. For this reason alone, the place will be a popular hangout for javitos and other upper class folks.
Example the gold gym in santiago is not the same boring gold's gym as in USA. You have to be here to see the difference.
Now the tostones eating chopos, you will not feel comfortable there. So maybe you are right, it will not be a big deal to you. hahahaha. me make funny.
AZB

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
a place for "FISNOS" ..
Here in the states its an ordinary franchise restaurant.. not a big deal, but it will be something new to Santiago.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Based on the business I saw being done the few times I went to the pizza place in Santiago (it was Pizza Hut I think) TGIF should do fine. The cheap fast-food stigma that these places have in America works in reverse. I would compare it to the fairly expensive Dominican restaurant in Queens decorated like a Dominican campo - the same food would not be considered anything special in DR but it is something different in US - almost like a caricature of itself.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
You guys are comparing apples to oranges, you can't compare the dominican TGIFs to an american TGIFs. Like the people who LIVE there already said, that this establishment will do fine and cater to the middle class and up. Who do you think will eat there??

Also, a Mercedes Benz is probably nothing to a German (used for taxis), but to an American, it's distinguished.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Y tambien......

You guys are comparing apples to oranges, you can't compare the dominican TGIFs to an american TGIFs. Like the people who LIVE there already said, that this establishment will do fine and cater to the middle class and up. Who do you think will eat there??

Also, a Mercedes Benz is probably nothing to a German (used for taxis), but to an American, it's distinguished.
True, true true...

SOME of these people just don't know that ANYTHING foreign WILL start as a "HIT" in the DR (or ANY poor country).

Btw, I don't know which "cheap" TGIF's SOME of you guys visit, but the one I took my girlfriend a few weeks ago charged me about 13 dollars for a fricking pinkish-colored drink she ordered.

It will be a hit!.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
TGIF is nothing but McDonalds for grown-ups. (i worked at one for about a week ages ago). Most of the food is microwaved...all the sauces are pre-packaged and the drinks are weak and over priced.

I can see how it might work as a novelty in the DR tho...much like Hard Rock Cafe. But i've walked by HR in Santo Domingo and have never seen a crowd there.

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
TGIF is nothing but McDonalds for grown-ups. (i worked at one for about a week ages ago). Most of the food is microwaved...all the sauces are pre-packaged and the drinks are weak and over priced.

I can see how it might work as a novelty in the DR tho...much like Hard Rock Cafe. But i've walked by HR in Santo Domingo and have never seen a crowd there.

second time i read/hear someone saying about TGIF food being microwaved.
Let just hope TGIF STI do things differently.