Reputable Volunteer Agencies...

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
i am in the process of planning a 4-6 week trip to SD in february and am looking to do some volunteer work in an orphanage but am looking for suggestions and recommendations for reputable volunteer agencies that can help me with this. im looking for something with a homestay (preferably). i did something similar in guatemala a few years ago and would love the opportunity to do it again.

i have looked online and i-to-i meaningful travel offers a 2-4 week volunteer program at Villa Bendicion but i wanted to know if anyone out there has ever used this agency and what you thought of them and the program. im trying to decide whether or not i should go through an agency so that all the prep work is done for me or if i should just contact Villa Bendicion directly and find my own accomodations.

if anyone has any info on this or can suggest a good agency to work with, please let me know.

also...ive been trying to find the phone number for Villa Bendicion so if anyone has the number, I would appreciate that too!

thanks!
sash :)

CanadianGurl

Mar 21, 2006
Hi Sascha,

I am interested in going to the DR during this tiem as well, I have lived there before for 7 weeks and would like to return for a while. I am a 29 year old non smoking female, from Canada, if you are interested in possibly finding shared accomodations during this time, let me know....hope to hear from you soon.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Does anyone else have any info on volunteering in SD?

Would love to hear more about volunteering in a orphanage....

Particularly for someone who will be living there full time...

I can't afford to volunteer full time, but would love more info on this for part-time/spare-time...

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
theforceinme...i cant thank you enough for all the good info! you rock!!

canadiangurl...ive sent you a PM so check it out.

alicious...im researching quite a bit and getting some really good info so once i start pinning everything down, ill post something or PM you.

cheers,
sash

ecibjkub

Jan 26, 2008
Community Service Alliance is an institution dedicated to connecting volunteers with local institutions in the DR. They mostly focus on groups interested in volunteering but, they also accomodate individuals with Spanish proficiency. You can check out their site at Community Service Alliance - CSADR. Best!

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
thanks felixelgato and ecibjkub! both great suggestions but i have already contacted the organization i want to volunteer with and they're expecting me on monday. i leave vancouver on friday and...im super excited!

ill be sure to put a trip report together when i get back at the end of next month.

thanks again to everyone who responded to my threads!

chao for now