Jet Blue doesn't allow Golf Clubs to the D.R ?!

lindabeez

Sep 9, 2007
We are so excited to coming to the D.R. for our first time in January. We've rented a condo for 2 months in Sosua and we've firmed up our flight plans on Jet Blue. I've been reading all about the golf on this site and since I'm an avid golfer, am very excited! (or at least was)...Checking out he baggage restrictions I see that Jet Blue doesn't allow Golf Clubs to the D.R. Whats up with that!
Does anybody know anything about this? I'm really bummed!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I've been reading all about the golf on this site and since I'm an avid golfer, am very excited! (or at least was)...Checking out he baggage restrictions I see that Jet Blue doesn't allow Golf Clubs to the D.R. Whats up with that!
Does anybody know anything about this? I'm really bummed!
WHAT??:surprised?? Not at ALL??:paranoid:? Not even as EXCESS baggage (although how golf clubs can be determined as EXCESS when they are truly ESSENTIAL is beyond me)?:pirate:? What a heathen organisation if that is the case! :eek:gre::eek:gre:

Where do you intend playing? How often? What length shafts & what flex do you use? Playa Dorada & Playa Grande you can HIRE clubs but I appreciate that is not the same as having your own with you. Let me know if you think I might be able to help - I have a spare (Right handed) set if you are 5' 9" - 6' 1" !! ~ Grahame.

lindabeez

Sep 9, 2007
This is from the JetBlue website:

Golfing Equipment

Golf equipment is not accepted on flights to/from the Dominican Republic.

Golf equipment is accepted on all domestic flights, as well as on flights to/from Aruba, the Bahamas, Bermuda and Cancun. There is no additional charge for golf bags; however, a golf bag will count as one of your checked bags.

Why would Golf Clubs be allowed on all their flights EXCEPT to the Dominican Republic? I'm going to call them in the morning and hopefully find out what the deal is.

Thanks for the offer Grahame, that's very nice of you! But, I'm haven't given up getting my own clubs there somehow...

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
This is from the JetBlue website:

Why would Golf Clubs be allowed on all their flights EXCEPT to the Dominican Republic?

I suspect it might have something to do with the amount of drugs being pushed through the DR at the moment. Tell them that if you get offered any to bring in, you will share 15% with the customs people checking you!! Should get you a long vacation somewhere & you could rent your home out for the period!!!! :cheeky:

Stay in touch if you need info on golf - Playa Dorada is just 5 ninuts away, Santiago is 1 hour 15 mins away & Playa Grande is 1 hour 30 away from me (1hour from you in Sosua!).

Good luck with Jet Blue. Offer them the facility of drugs testing you OUT of & IN to the country!! ~ Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh for God's sake, do not even mention drugs to anyone!!! That British humour!!!!

Ask firmly if you can take your clubs. Obviously it must have to do with damage caused by handlers and the claims that get back to Jet Blue. If you ship your clubs in one of those hard cases, it should not be an issue.

However, if you get stonewalled, you should know that there are clubs available at most courses (1); the nutty Brit DOES have a nice set to loan you (2) and I just happen to have a beautiful set of Mizunos(3) that you can have on loan.

So you can pack you gloves, shoes, and other essentials, and forget the clubs.

I even have an Original Ping Cushon(?) with the Scottsdale PO Box Number!!-the four digit one!!!

Just let us (Me and the nutty Brit) know when you'll be arriving...

Ah golf, the OTHER four-letter word...

HB

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
From jetBlue's website:

Sporting equipment included in the free checked baggage allowance

"Golfing Equipment

Golf equipment is not accepted on flights to/from the Dominican Republic.

Golf equipment is accepted on all domestic flights, as well as on flights to/from the Aruba, the Bahamas, Bermuda and Cancun. There is no additional charge for golf bags; however, a golf bag will count as one of your checked bags."

Gregg

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Not sure if OP is male or female - boys are your clubs for women??? If you need some women's clubs I have a full set of Square Twos for the vertically challenged!!!!! Maybe you can make them work properly......

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
golf clubs cannot fit in the overhead compartment or under your seat. when you're dealing with such a cost-cutting ariline like Jet Blue, what do you expect ? :ermm:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
golf clubs cannot fit in the overhead compartment or under your seat. when you're dealing with such a cost-cutting ariline like Jet Blue, what do you expect ? :ermm:

Can't be a valid point as they accept them (as CHECKED baggage) for other destinations, presumably on the same type of equipment.

Gregg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's write to Jet Blue and ask why this decision...

Maybe a flood of letter will let them think a bit on this issue. It can certainly cost them customers...

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have a good set of Snake Eyes blades I will lend or sell anybody. Just bring new grips and have HB replace them. The shafts are Rifle 5.5 steel. I don't use them because I like the X100's better in my other set. There is also a nice 5 wood and cheap golf bag that comes with them too.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have a good set of Snake Eyes blades I will lend or sell anybody. Just bring new grips and have HB replace them. The shafts are Rifle 5.5 steel. I don't use them because I like the X100's better in my other set. There is also a nice 5 wood and cheap golf bag that comes with them too.
Yeah, but those clubs won't hit the ball straight...;) I'm proof...:cheeky:

lindabeez

Sep 9, 2007
So, I wrote to JetBlue and asked why they don't allow clubs to the Dominican Republic. Here is their reply:

Thank you for contacting JetBlue Airways regarding bringing your golf equipment with you on your upcoming JetBlue flight. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

We regret that due to checked baggage size and weight restrictions onboard our aircraft, golf clubs are not accepted on flights to the Dominican Republic. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes you, and recommend that you contact a shipping company for assistance in getting the clubs toPuerto Plata.

How lame is that? What do they have a tiny little plane that they only use for flights to and from the D.R.? I don't know how to find out what type of aircraft it is, but it has the same seating arrangement as the flight we are taking from CA to NY. So, wouldn't you think the cargo compartment would be the same?

Thank you all for the offers to borrow clubs. I'm still hoping to find a way to bring mine. But, if all fails, I would appreciate borrowing a set. For the record, I am female, in my 50's (please don't hold that against me) and shoot in the mid 90's.

I think I'll call JetBlue and speak to Customer Service....wish me luck....

Linda

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Wow, Linda sorry to hear this is not getting better. My offer stands, my clubs are at your disposal!

ILLINIFAN

Aug 23, 2007
So, I wrote to JetBlue and asked why they don't allow clubs to the Dominican Republic. Here is their reply:

How lame is that? What do they have a tiny little plane that they only use for flights to and from the D.R.? I don't know how to find out what type of aircraft it is, but it has the same seating arrangement as the flight we are taking from CA to NY. So, wouldn't you think the cargo compartment would be the same?

Thank you all for the offers to borrow clubs. I'm still hoping to find a way to bring mine. But, if all fails, I would appreciate borrowing a set. For the record, I am female, in my 50's (please don't hold that against me) and shoot in the mid 90's.

I think I'll call JetBlue and speak to Customer Service....wish me luck....

Linda

I've been looking at JB's flights from Chicago to DR and @ only $438 I might have to start a letter writing campaign to them on the club issue. Does anybody know if they have a 50 lb. weight restriction on checked baggage?

Hey Linda can I get a lesson??????:cheeky::cheeky:

Oh ya, luck. If they are anything like AA you might as well go talk to the wall.