Tubing in the Dominican Republic

IslandRedneck

Dec 14, 2007
Hello all.

I am planning to visit DR soon and would appreciate any info on river tubing options. My goal is to see the DR culture/environment I've heard so much about, while enjoying my favorite pasttime from my origins in Texas - river tubing. Information in guidebooks and online is sparse at best.

Specifically, where can one find a stretch of river that can be navigated by inner tube over the course of a few hours? I'd like to rent lodging for a few weeks in a region that would be a good base for this type of activity, and Jarabacoa seems to be where I should set up camp (?). Although I've read elsewhere that pollution is a concern?

Having plenty of mass tourism, organized excursions, and beaches where I now reside in Hawaii, I am keen to avoid such things if possible. Our group will have two rental cars for logistical purposes, so that's not a problem. Any advice at all would be much appreciated.

Gracias in advance,

-Kevin

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
For the OP, here's an old thread-- http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-questions/18854-river-tubing-help-please.html .

Mike, basically you sit in an inflated truck inner tube and let the river current carry you down river. The thrill is going over/through the rapids and trying to remain on your tube. There are also calm sections where you just float slowly and relax while enjoying the scenery. Have done it in Canada : GRCA - GRCA Conservation Areas - Elora Gorge - Elora tubing , but not in the DR.

IslandRedneck

Dec 14, 2007
Thanks guys, I'm slowly starting to pick up info on this from exhaustive searches. The best I've found so far comes from another forum regarding an independent possibility in Jarabacoa. It is as follows:

"I once started my tubing excursion near a barrio called "La Poza" in behind the Esso station. The trip is exciting with a wide variety of slow to medium and faster currents. If some participants feel that a certain stretch is 'too risky' for them, they could walk along the shore for a bit. This exact trip would end a "La Confluencia" where the Yaque and Jimenoa rivers converge. It is also a nice shallow beach area where people can relax and load up the truck.

This trip is about 3.5km (2.2 miles) and it takes about an hour I believe."

If any other ideas surface, please post them!

Mahalo,

-Kevin