St Maarten

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
I was thinking about a weekend hop to some of the other islands, and was thinking about starting with St. Maarten. Any recoomendations or trip stories? If not there, maybe any other suggestions for nearby islands? Experiences with the small airlines out of Las Americas?

Thanks

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
We went to St Maarten for a couple of days earlier this year. American Airlines has a daily direct flight from Las Americas which was very convenient. We stayed on the French side of the island and enjoyed the restaurants there very much. The Dutch side of the island was a bit bland, but had a few nice beaches. The best part of the trip was actually a day spent on the neighbouring island, Anguilla, which is just a short boat ride away from the port in Marigot. Shoal Bay East there was one of the most stunning beaches I have ever seen.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
watch it guys or they'll delete this if it's not DR related....

Please read the entire post before commenting, we are much more worried about spam than somebody asling a question that might not be 100% DR related which this is DR related.

Last edited by a moderator:

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Kiboko...
Can you give an approx. on the flight costs for this trip?
Did you enjoy the trip enough that you would recommend others to try it out?
What are the prices on hotels/food like compared with the DR?

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
If I remember correctly, we paid about $450 each for airplane tickets in Semana Santa this year, but I checked a while ago for Semana Santa next year and it had gone up to around $600, which is crazy considering it's so close.

I would recommend the French side of the island to food lovers because of the many wonderful French restaurants and cafes, particularly the town of Grand Case, which is a gourmet paradise. It's also good for people who enjoy sailing. There are several marinas from which you can either charter a boat or join a group to sail out to one of the nearby smaller islands and go snorkeling. If you are looking for beaches, there's nothing on St Martin itself that matches, say, Bavaro, but nearby there is the island of Anguilla, which has beautiful beaches. We had an excellent time, but if you are going there from the DR and it's not your annual "escape the cold and relax" holiday, then you won't need more than a few days there to explore what's on offer.

The hotels and restaurants are a LOT more expensive than in the DR. We couldn't find any budget places to stay.

Hope this helps.