Suggested accommodation in San Juan, San Jose

amtrakker

Dec 1, 2007
Looking at spending a couple of nights in both these towns, but a search brings up Juan and Jose rather than anything useful... Wonder if anyone can recommend, clean, quiet basic hotels in the 15-35USD price range in these places. Don't need aircon or pool, carparking, TV etc..

Thanks in advance

amtrakker

I hope your talking about Sanjuan De Maguana and jose Ocoa? am i correct? I don't know about San Jose Ocoa but as you enter SanJuan you will pass the police station on left after you pass police station about 2 blocks down make a right and there will be hotel De Angel 700 pesos per night has a/c hot water and cable not a bad place. I will be going myself in next week.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
San Jose Ocoa accommodation

In San Jose Ocoa, from the central plaza -probably the most beautiful plaza central in DR- take the street from the corner where all the bars and discoteques are located, 1 1/2 block on the right hand side you'll find a residencia with three-four rooms upstairs - forgotten the name of the friendly landlady but easy to find. Otherwise there is a cheap guesthouse further up the same street on the left side (at the corner) -same house as a colmado and restaurant - can't miss it.

Enjoy San Jose, beautiful town and green hilly surroundings - bring a sweater it can get cool in the evenings.

Arrica

amtrakker

Dec 1, 2007
Thanks all for the helpful info. Does anyone know if there are camiones or publicos from Costanza to San Jose de Ocoa?

Also, how did I get to San Juan from San Jose via gua guas? ARe there many changes?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Everything I have heard about the road from Constanza to San Jose de Ochoa says that it requires a 4wd vehicle in good weather and don't even try if it rains. I doubt there are guaguas.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Last I was in Constanza (March 2007) there was a weekly pick-up (4x4) leaving from the Gas-station at the entrance on Wednesday mornings (7 am. if I recall) - and possibly also on Fridays. Otherwise you'd have to track back down the mountain to Vega (regularly ploughed by guaguas or pickups in about 1 1/2 hours), and from there via SD, Bani and Cruze de Ocoa

cheers

amtrakker

Dec 1, 2007
Thanks all

Got a camion at 9a.m. from Jaribacoa to Costanza (1.5hrs 80DOP) - road pretty poor after the recent cyclones.

No camions to San Jose de Ocoa from Costanza due to the condition of the roads, so caught a camion to Rio de Amarico on the highway (1.5hrs, 120DOP). Then an excessive 80DOP fare for the 20min drive south to Piedras Blancas.

Waited an hour for a 4WD truck to leave PB at 4p.m., and was to cost 150DOP all the way to San Jose, but only made it as far as Rancho Arriba after 3 hours (and an hour delay to fetch a mechanic to fix a leaking oil tank). Road in terrible state from PB to Rancho Arriba, where stayed at Tell Alpen Restaurant, good value for 250DOP for clean room with cold water ensuite.

Minibus from Rancho Arriba to San Jose at 8a.m. the next morning (100DOP) for 75min trip down the valley. First half still being worked on after the recent floods and rains, remainder is good ashphalt. So didn?t end up staying in San Jose, but seemed like a nice place. IT?s 40DOP to Cruce de OCoa, and then 150DOP by express bus (2 hours) to Barahona.

Thanks for all the previous answers.

amtrakker

Amtrakker