On foreigners and integration

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This is an interesting thread from a Colombia board I participate in.

On foreigners and integration (Poorbuthappy in Colombia!)

It also applies to the DR.

Slightly modified question from the above thread..

How much can and should we integrate?
Is integration something we should *try* to do - or something that we should just let happen? Should foreigners look at their bank balances and try to emulate the norms of the Dominican social classes that equal them?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I would say it depends what your goal is. If you're here to make money quickly and after "x" time leave the country, then by all means live in the good neighborhoods, get the best contacts possible then get the heck out of here so we can live in peace. Now if you're here because you love the country and plan to live here full time, adapt to the country as best as you can, live by your means, and bit by bit you will be "assimilated". People that move down to this country just to criticize it because it doesn't match up with their expectations end up leaving anyways. Those that love it for what it is are the ones that end up building a life here, and Dominicans being the way they are, they do accept us.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I am for sure 'Guy B'.
This is for two reasons.
1) I am not wealthy. I have stayed in a nice apartment while in the RD and have stayed in a $6 a night hotel as well
2) I am there because of the people, the lifestyle, the freedom that I have (being an expat brings you a certain amount of 'stardom' per se) and I love spending time and getting to know the people and the culture.

This is the level of life I am accustomed to. I feel more than comfortable being around those that have money but also enjoy the company and relationships with those that don't.

I also feel that once I had the SUV, a good sized bank account, etc. I would be living and moving in different circles.

The idea that 'assimilation' is knowing the bus drivers name or where to buy the warehouse deals on clothing amongst the locals is not the point.
Assimilating is being able to move and live within a new culture and be accepted.
For some of you that means being welcomed at the golf club and others it is that the Colmado gives you credit.

Just depends on with whom you want to be accepted.

That being said I realize it is not my country. I am a visitor or a guest and it takes a long time to really find a place or home in the RD to be really considered a Dominicano.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
being an expat brings you a certain amount of 'stardom' per se

please explain :ermm:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Type 1 and type 2 are the extremes - they might exist, but in reality most of us fall somewhere in between.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
'stardom' as in being allowed to do more than what the average Dominicano would be able to do.

We are seen as having the life-being able to travel, thought of as being rich since we are even there in the first place, people will talk to you much more readily,...

What I have noticed is that there is attention and service that I receive that my Dominicano amigo, or worse if I am with a Haitian friend, that they would never get.

What's your opinion on this?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i totally agree with you on that statement. but doesn't the stardom kind of push you further away from being integrated ?
when i'm out with my dominican or haitian friends, i do as they do. i try my best to downplay any special "service" if it excludes my friends.
once, i ate where they ate and got a parasite. so sometimes it doesn't always work out the way you want it too....

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
There's some truth to that jrf, plus people might tend to remember you easier than lets say any other local, because you stick out. With regards to the service, you might get treated better at times, and tried to get ripped off many other times. So it all balances out. And yes I have no doubt that everyone that's not from haiti will get better treatment than a hatian.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Maybe stardom isn't the best word. It's more like people recognize that we're not from here, that we're up to a point "special". Especially if we treat them like human beings and respect them, they usually return it tenfold. Of course, you have your exceptions where it'll be totally the opposite but my experience in general has been pleasant.

All my friends swear that the only thing Canadian I have about me is my passport. I love merengue and bachata (dance it like a true dominican, or so they have said), my spanish is good enough that people usually ask me if I'm dominican instead of asking which country I'm from and I think most significantly, I have more dominican friends than foreigners (mostly by choice!)! :cheeky:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
How much can and should we integrate?
Is integration something we should *try* to do - or something that we should just let happen? Should foreigners look at their bank balances and try to emulate the norms of the Dominican social classes that equal them?

I personally socialize with numerous Dominicans in NYC, I get invited to social gatherings, I eat, talk, and drink with them. Everybody from the maintenance guys in my building, coworkers, bodega and restaurant owners, so naturally, I've picked up on some of their customs and language, it's just easier to interact with them when you know a little something about them.

Integration could come naturally, if you let it, but the more you strive, I believe the easier life would become while you live there. I say integrate and accept the good with the bad.

Of course, you should live within your means, leave the "Joneses" in the U.S., nothing wrong with upper-middle class.

Mi dos centavos

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
KateP, maybe the fact that we are Canadian, and I do believe more friendly and more well received than most other expats, but also that we do stand out as being different.
I believe that some of the reasons I stand out or am remembered is because I genuinely enjoy the RD and it's people.
Sharing the island pride per se.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Robert said,

"How much can and should we integrate?
Is integration something we should *try* to do - or something that we should just let happen? ..."

1. I suspect you meant "assimilate."? Am I right?

2. To answer this interesting question, I would have to throw it back at you, kindly - "How much should immigrants to YOUR home country assimilate/integrate?

Thank you for a good topic, Samm

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
dig this definition of ASSIMILATION

The idea that 'assimilation' is knowing the bus drivers name or where to buy the warehouse deals on clothing amongst the locals is not the point.
Assimilating is being able to move and live within a new culture and be accepted.
For some of you that means being welcomed at the golf club and others it is that the Colmado gives you credit.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
I have found that people's idea of "assimilation" is based on a person's perception of the country. Many expats or visitors who believe that living in and visiting the poorest parts of the DR makes for a more authentic experience as if being anything more than that makes a Dominican less authentic. Yet many of them would not dare live or visit the impoverished areas of the US or Europe. Most foriegners with the means would not opt to go to rural West Virginia or innercity Baltimore for a more "authentic" experience when they can stay or live in Manhattan. They don't rent apartments in the 'hood or marry into an Appalachian family. While both authentic american experiences not exactly destination spots. Yet a lot these same poeple would consider living in Santo Domingo or Santiago at a level that is comparable to their lives back home to be less of an authentic experience.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I have found that people's idea of "assimilation" is based on a person's perception of the country. Many expats or visitors who believe that living in and visiting the poorest parts of the DR makes for a more authentic experience as if being anything more than that makes a Dominican less authentic. Yet many of them would not dare live or visit the impoverished areas of the US or Europe. Most foriegners with the means would not opt to go to rural West Virginia or innercity Baltimore for a more "authentic" experience when they can stay or live in Manhattan. They don't rent apartments in the 'hood or marry into an Appalachian family. While both authentic american experiences not exactly destination spots. Yet a lot these same poeple would consider living in Santo Domingo or Santiago at a level that is comparable to their lives back home to be less of an authentic experience.
You took the words out of my mouth... or should that be finger tips?

What you mentioned is something I have been wondering for a long time. I'm not sure why many people are like that, but I'm leaning more to this explanation:

Americans or Europeans, when visiting the DR, are excluded from the social norms given that they are tourists or outsiders. As such, they can get away with many things among the local population due to the reasoning that they are simply foreigners and don't know any better as far as the local culture and norms are concerned. On the foreigner side, they pretty much don't care what others think of them when visiting the DR because, quite frankly, they are not a part of that society and because of this, they sort of remain outside of Dominican culture and norms, even when they try to assimilate, they will always be considered outsiders or aplatanado, as in a foreigner that has acquired many Dominican habits, but such person is always regarded as a foreigner.

Back in the U.S. or Europe, these same foreigners are the locals. They have been taught from birth how their societies work, how the read the different signs (visible and otherwise) that limits a persons actions or decisions, consciously or subconsciously. To them, it matters what is thought of them by their society in their own country, much in the same way it matters to Dominicans in the DR, but once they leave the DR they become more relaxed in the way I've explained above.

Thus, an American that will never think of spending sometime with his poor counterparts, doesn't think twice prior to doing such while visiting the DR or some other country. Afterall, who cares! The only people whose opinion matters are the one's at home, not in this foreign country that they didn't even knew existed until the travel agent mentioned of the super all inclusive sale in Playa Dorada.

I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to say here and I think it applies to most people from all countries, especially when such people travel abroad.

People travel to get away from the daily grind, from the familiar sights, and from the restraints imposed by society and to get away from the expectations that everyone has of him. When the person goes away, that person is free from all of that and that freedom allows that person to do things that in their own home countries they would think twice and thrice prior to doing such, more often deciding not to do such.

Hence, people travel thousands of miles to take picture with impoverished rural Dominicans but never in a million years do they visit the people living in the impoverished neighborhoods only minutes from their home in their home country.

I also wonder if guilt is involved as well. Its always easier to help people whose problems are perceived to have been created by someone else, rather than confront people whose problems are perceived to have been created either by you or by your ancestors.

I'll live it at this because this response is moving away from the topic of the thread, but what you posted is something I have been wondering for quite sometime.

-NALs

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
Yet many of them would not dare live or visit the impoverished areas of the US or Europe. Most foriegners with the means would not opt to go to rural West Virginia or innercity Baltimore for a more "authentic" experience when they can stay or live in Manhattan. They don't rent apartments in the 'hood or marry into an Appalachian family. While both authentic american experiences not exactly destination spots. Yet a lot these same poeple would consider living in Santo Domingo or Santiago at a level that is comparable to their lives back home to be less of an authentic experience.

This is very interesting. The question I pose is why do we expect that to be the case? Why are Americans, Canadians, Europeans, etc., willing to associate with the lower classes in developing countries, but not in the industrialized world? This of course is a generalization, but tends to hold true. Does guilt play a factor? Location? Ignorance of cultural norms? A subconscious/conscious supremacy or belief of superiority over people in developing countries? This is a very interesting phenomenom and believe it is parallel to the topic of assimilation.

-Exxtol

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This is very interesting. The question I pose is why do we expect that to be the case? Why are Americans, Canadians, Europeans, etc., willing to associate with the lower classes in developing countries, but not in the industrialized world?

Maybe it is because they are trying to get away from the level of Society of which they were a part. For example at the average dinner with friends when I lived in London the discussions were what car you drove, how much money you earned, and how much money your house was worth. And here having dinner with barrio friends or even middle class Dominicans it is a totally different experience. They have no preconception of you. They don't recognise your accent, they can't pidgeonhole you. You couldn't have done that in the UK. Maybe you could leave the traditional industrialised nation values behind if you went and joined a commune in your home country. Maybe that is what those foreigners who 'assimilate' here are doing - becoming part of a dominican commune!

But those of us who live here in amongst dominicans - married to them, live surrounded by them, only speak Spanish, we can integrate to a degree, but we will always be different. I will never spit, I will never like tostones, I don't scream and shout and scratch, I will always hate very loud music, I don't like lying, I like saving money for the future. But I hope I have been enriched by assimilating some values like being less pressured about things that don't really matter, living for today, laughing more, caring more and sharing more.

Matilda

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
This is very interesting. The question I pose is why do we expect that to be the case? Why are Americans, Canadians, Europeans, etc., willing to associate with the lower classes in developing countries, but not in the industrialized world? This of course is a generalization, but tends to hold true. Does guilt play a factor? Location? Ignorance of cultural norms? A subconscious/conscious supremacy or belief of superiority over people in developing countries? This is a very interesting phenomenom and believe it is parallel to the topic of assimilation.

Very interesting post indeed. The way I see it as long as you have financial resources to live comfortably in the DR, you will be perceived as someone that is superior to others. It may seem to be a very materialistic point of view, but when you are dealing with a country were poverty is seen just around every corner, money will give you that certain status. I mean the fact is what foreigner that relocates to the Dominican Republic expects to live like the average Dominican....none.

Integration is a beautiful and worthwhile endeavor, but the human dynamic is greatly influence with what's in the bank. Some use that status altruistically others as a power tool.

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This post is very interesting to me from the point of view of the all too many responses one receives right here from DR1 members to threads having to do with Living In The DR. ie: Very typical "What do you know you don't live here". Well this has bothered me for the longest time. Of course. I could respond-what do you know???1) You have no vote in local or national politics 2) How well do you know the culture of the rich, poor and middle class (if in fact there is one) 3) You don't speak the lanquage 4) You don't need to feel the pain of hunger in a barrio or the shorhten life due to poor health care, and on and on.

So,is living in an almost totally ex-pat community intergration? No, but is moving to Washington Heights in NYC intergration?
No. Do the greater majority of ex-pats have a wide variety of choices where to live in DR? I doubt it. With issues of security, communications, freindships, almost impossible.So, you are treated special in the eyes of the Domin ican people. Hard to avoid. You are special. Have money,cars, white,
and most important it's not your country.That makes you special especial the money part.

If you don't try to assimilate I think the situation gets worse.Then you are saying "My way of life is better than yours". Or,"I'll change things to do it my way". As an example I'll never forget when Mr. Smartee Pants opened a restaurant in Sosua and said -This will be the first smoke free restaurant in the DR. Well he must of gotten that idea from Mayor Bloomberg because he sure wasn't thinking about Dominican culture or for that matter Euros that might have gone to his now defunct rest.

After writing all of the above, I really don't know the answer to the quiz.
Need to see a few more responses that might have more insight.
john