Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

Status
Not open for further replies.

shosh

Dec 20, 2007
I've read quite a bit about folks going from P. Cana to S.Domingo, but not much (lately, anyways) about the other direction.
We (husband, me, & 13 year old daughter) arrive into Santo Domingo airport at about 3pm on Sat. 12/29. We need to get to Punta Cana that evening if possible. We'd like a bit of local folk exposure and want to go fairly inexpensively (ie. we don't really want to rent a taxi the whole way), but I'm not sure what's feasible, given our afternoon arrival. I was thinking about getting to the main road outside the airport and getting us on an (express?) bus to Higuey, then maybe taking a taxi from Higuey to Punta Cana? We are staying off the beaten path in a fairly inexpensive condo, and I'm afraid if it's getting dark we'll never find it unless we're in a taxi!
Any advice?

Have you been to DR before? Have you been to Punta Cana before? Probably better off paying the 100 bucks and have a nice leisurely drive to your condo than trying to take different busses at night in an unfamiliar enviroment. Your on vacation don't get stressed out when just starting your vacation.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you arrive at three (3:00 p.m.) that means you won't get out of the customs area until 4:00 p.m. that only gives you a little more that two hours of daylight.

PM "Matilda" or "DrChris" or just ask the board for the name of that guy that offers taxi service...He has a good rep and will make your vacation a whole lot easier.

You can bus back if you want to be adventurous.

HB

shosh

Dec 20, 2007
Thanks for the advice, hillbilly and badpiece. No, we've never been to the DR or P. Cana before. Sounds like taxi is the way to go. Does anyone know approximately how much it should cost to take a taxi from the Santo Domingo airport all the way to Punta Cana? Are there taxis we can hire at the airport, or should we arrange with someone ahead of time? Any suggestions/phone numbers for who to hire? I'll try the PM route as well. Thanks!

Feb 7, 2007
At that hour (3pm arrival time, about 4pm out of customs), there are two options:

1) Public transit:
- Taxi to Santo Domingo, to Parque Enriquillo.
- At Parque Enriquillo express buss to Higuey (last one leaves at or after 8pm)
- From Higuey, a taxi to Punta Cana, as you do not want to be on the public bus to Bavaro/Punta Cana at that late hour (around 8pm your getting to Higuey, considering your 3pm arrival time to SDQ). Though buses to Punta Cana/Bavaro run virtually 24 hours.
Your cost (3 persons): US$ 30 cab from airport, US$20 bus tickets for all 3, US$ 30 cab from Higuey to Punta Cana. That's US$ 80.

2) Taxi way
Now for maybe 20 or 30 dollars max more, you get a private cab all the way to Punta Cana. Lot less hassle, and more enjoyable trip.
For US$ 100 to US$ 110 (about 3500 pesos) Benjamin from RapidoTaxi Higuey can pick you up from Santo Domingo Airport and take you all the way to Bavaro/Punta Cana. Call him at 809-351-8407

Lots of people have used him. Reliable. Tell him Jorge from Higuey sent you his way.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/591118-post8.html

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
REGARDING Benjamin:

I have recommended him to Ben Jammin, and Ben reported great service at a good price.
I have talked to him on the phone and he is what I would call, a "good" guy. He was waiting for Ben at the airport with a sign, and off they went. NO HASSLE!!

I am pleased that this fellow is doing so well.. Maybe we have another JJ in the EAst???

Isn't it great to be able to recommend someone and have them come through time after time??? Yeah, you can tell him that Luis from Santiago also recommended him...

HB

shosh

Dec 20, 2007
HB and Rubio: fantastic advice. Thank you so much for the info. I'll call Benjamin and tell him that both of you recommended him. I'll write again after our trip and let you know how it went. ALSO - what's the story with tipping, generally and for a taxi service like that? Should we be tipping in restaurants? Taxi drivers? etc.? What percent, if we should tip?
Thanks again - sorry so many questions from the gringa!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Slosh,,,,errrrr Shosh, sorry, it's the Christmas beer...

okay, tipping. If you were to do a "search" on this board, there would probably be like, hummmm, 1000 posts on this item.

Let's do it this way.
1) Know that on bar and restaurant bills there is a 26% tax..yeah, no sh!t!! 10% of which goest to the waiters.
1a) Most people consider good service to be worth maybe another 10%, but of the consumption, not the total freakin' bill that the SOB government has it teeth into.!!!!

2) Any good service should be rewarded with a bit more money.

If you are happy with your driver and the tab is 100 pesos or 100 dollars, slip him another ten...whatever... You feel good and he feels good.

Other than that, hey, have fun....

Never flash a wad.
Use a lot of sun screen
Use bug repellent morning and evenings
If you go off the property, use shoes and socks, long pants. Dress nice.
If you go on a bus, take a light sweater or a cuddly friend, it usually get cold!!

Above all, have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.