Don't let overweight bags add to your vacation costs

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
A word of advice to tourists returning home from the DR with heavy souvenirs, the airport staff are weighing ALL bags and adhering to the airlines' restrictions on baggage allowances for both checked-in and carry on luggage. Check with your airline and travel light.

I was nailed for 140$ Canadian on the way down.
Off loading some of the most expensive maple syrup, whiskey, books, crayons, markers, colouring books in history didn't help for my return home.

On the way back, I was 16 kgs over with my rum, vanilla, 8 kilos of coffee, petrified wood knickknacks, CDs, mahogany boxes (4) bleeding me dry of another 144US. My small modern wheeled carry-on was checked in because it weighed far more than 5 kilos.

They are very strict about the weight of both checked in baggage and carry-on luggage.

$284... I'm going to drink that rum myself. Five pairs of shoes for two weeks... is that too much?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Margaret,

Thanks for the advice/warning. I'm concerned about leaving next week and not only getting nailed at the airport for being here more than 14 days, but having to maybe check luggage and having it (and me) being overweight!

And, it was great to meet you and spend some time together. My only regret is that we didn't have enough time!

Keep warm

Regards
Ro

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Having recently gone through this (although only on the trip down), I know the feeling but I have come to the conclusion that in the future, I am going to factor this into the cost of the trip....and I had less than 5 pairs of shoes lol!;)
I realize that the check-in agents are only acting on instructions....the lady was so pleasant that I couldnt have been upset with her if I had tried!

I know about those overweight charges as well, I am taking nothing but old clothes and shoes down, and just plain leaving all them there so I have room for my rum, cigars, coffee and vanilla. Also taking a portable fish scale to weigh up before hitting the airport.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
You'd fit in your son's carry-on ... what are you talking about!?

Margaret,

Thanks for the advice/warning. I'm concerned about leaving next week and not only getting nailed at the airport for being here more than 14 days, but having to maybe check luggage and having it (and me) being overweight!

And, it was great to meet you and spend some time together. My only regret is that we didn't have enough time!

Keep warm

Regards
Ro

Ro,

It was a pleasure meeting you too. I'm sure will do it again some time soon.

Enjoy the sun and I'm sure you'll get some good tennis in and get some more mileage in... hopefully dancing too. Maybe shipping seasonal clothing separately is cheaper if you think you're over Ro. I thought you did carry-on only? I envy seasoned travelers who are so streamlined and organized. I confess there were 7 pairs. I have to learn to keep it simple. I have a better idea about what I can cut back on and use the hotel laundry service.

Cheers,

Margaret