looking for job in the south of the island

cac1079

Dec 23, 2007
hi

i am looking to movin to DR soon, but not finding much for a job. I would either like to teach english, do massage, or work with people in the outdoors. I am looking for something that pays decent so that i can try to save some money. I am a fluent english speacker and know quite a bit of spanish. I have a bachelors in exercise science and minor in ed. as well as experience in massage and working in a hospital.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
hi

i am looking to movin to DR soon, but not finding much for a job. I would either like to teach english, do massage, or work with people in the outdoors. I am looking for something that pays decent so that i can try to save some money. I am a fluent english speacker and know quite a bit of spanish. I have a bachelors in exercise science and minor in ed. as well as experience in massage and working in a hospital.
Moving to the DR to work and try to save money is next to impossible.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Not to sound mean, but if you are claiming to be fluent in English and are SEEKING a job, you might want to proof read your posts. There are people who scan posts and take note to mistakes like "movin" or not capitalizing English or 'I' or mis-spellings such as "speacker." I think you will find it VERY difficult to locate a high paying job with these skills and Rocky is correct that it will be next to impossible to save money.

'Just my 2 cents.

Y

yohanna1326

Look,
i get what are saying and to some extent i agree, but give it a rest.
i appreciate the criticism and perhaps this is a reality check for most of us. I am an English major with horrible grammer. I say horrible because i know there is always room for improvement. No one is perfect. I'm new at this and maybe i fail to see just how important these posting were. but when i am getting replies such as "i hope youor resume looks better" i can't help but get deffensive.
I am a creative writer and god bless spell check and grammer check. The fact that i don't cross every T and dot every I does not make me incompetent. I may not speak the best English, but the purpose of language is communication., and if i am able to get my point across then i guess i'm not in such bad shape.

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
Thoughts from an employer

Everybody that is somebody reads the DR1 from time to time. So, your future employer may possibly just be reading what you write here.

Actually, the person who might have hired him/her -- were it not for poor writing skills, poor grammar, etc. -- is who is reading this board.

I have found several employees through DR1 and I am very thankful that this Employment section exists. However, I am a stickler for proper English and I ignore those posts that are written poorly.

There are plenty of low paying jobs for someone who just speaks English. However, a well paying job requires better skills than the OP or the one who said he/she felt defensive when people pointed out grammar errors. Proofread your posts. Remember that you are making an impression. So you might as well make it a good impression.

Jim

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yohannah my son is currently teaching English in China. Even though he is a published poet and write great stories, when he is teaching or applying for a job his spelling and grammar are correct. As an English major I would suppose, perhaps I am wrong, that you would spell correctly. This would be because you learned on the rules, root words...etc. There are some anal retentive people on this site (they know who they are), but in this case they are correct. If you are looking for work, especially as a teacher your writing skills need to be perfect. If you are just commenting or posting regular posts you can, as my son says, dumb it down, do the MSN talk. Did you notice the post today by Dolores of the school looking for teachers?

Y

yohanna1326

I get it.
And i guess i have to push myself harder and make sure to eliminate the careless errors. I don't mean make excuses for myself, but it doesn't come as easy as it should. I'll remember that and thank you for the feedback.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
So is it safe to say that cac1079 and yohanna1326 are the same person?

Interesting observation...is that permitted under DR1 rules? Even if it is, I doubt it is ethical especially under the same thread?

We could all go form our own personal fan clubs and post in favor of BAD or PROPER English?

Apparently the OP didn't "GET-IT" because the OP still doesn't know how to capitalize.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK chill all! The two posters are not the same person :laugh: All is well with the world and if someone wants to write i instead of I - sometimes with online writing that is acceptable, just barely, but it is. It is a hangover of the 'lets not SHOUT BY WRITING ALL IN CAPITALS WHILE ON AN ONLINE BOARD OR FORUM'.

So, let's continue with looking for jobs.

I do hope these new very lovely young graduate women are not trying to move for sleazy sexy dominican men who will mess them up something fierce!

Y

yohanna1326

No, I just read one of the replies and I thought it was a bit mean. I couldn't help but comment.
Just so we're clear, cac1079 and yohanna1326 are not the same person.

nomads

Oct 31, 2007
Dear Yohannah,
If you are an English major, I would hate to know what your minor is!
I used to correct papers that looked like your writing and cringed every time I had to give them a passing grade. I believe that the school system is greatly at fault for passing nearly everyone now! Nevermind spell check ... it only corrects obviously misspelled words, not words that are incorrectly used in a sentence. And it does nothing to improve your own ability for spelling and/or grammar.
I strongly suggest you get yourself a good old fashioned dictionary and a thesaurus!!!
M

Y

yohanna1326

Dear Yohannah,
If you are an English major, I would hate to know what your minor is!
I used to correct papers that looked like your writing and cringed every time I had to give them a passing grade. I believe that the school system is greatly at fault for passing nearly everyone now! Nevermind spell check ... it only corrects obviously misspelled words, not words that are incorrectly used in a sentence. And it does nothing to improve your own ability for spelling and/or grammar.
I strongly suggest you get yourself a good old fashioned dictionary and a thesaurus!!!
M

Dear Nomad,
William J. H. Boetcker once said:
“Your greatness is measured by your kindness; your education and intellect by your modesty; your ignorance is betrayed by your suspicions and prejudices, and your real caliber is measured by the consideration and tolerance you have for others.”
I know what I am made of. I know what I am worth. As a person I don't lose because i failed to grasp the "essence" of good grammer. Never in my life have i had a professor cringe because of my writing. I know you feel empowered and even important because you are able to spit up all this poison about my abilities as a writer or my understanding of the English language, and that's pitiful. I don't know how old you are , where you come from, or the type of education you received. Yet, i can tell you are pretentious and lack humility.
I am not ignorant and your words mean nothing. I came to this forum looking for some kind of guidance. I was refered by a friend who said this would be a very helpful place. I didn't think that i would be attacked left and right because i commented on post. You are a bully!! You don't care if gain anything from this. If you were such a great professor, maybe you would have recommended a source that would teach me "basic" English grammer without sarcasm, not put me on a chopping block so you can feel like you're better.
I welcome my battles and take them head-on. I know I have a long way to go and I am willing work on it. I have never tried to put anyone down because I felt that I was "better" at something.
I play sports and I've had the opportunity to work with many people. Some play at a higher level and others can't compare, but I never made those that couldn't perform feel bad.

P.S. If you think that me and and the girl/guy from the original post are the same person then you're free believe that , but i know who i am and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You know nomads, you are so far off topic that you're not even in left field. Get on topic and forget about commenting about the spelling of others while you cannot make a good suggestion appropriate to the original poster's question.

jruane44, you may not believe the poster, but perhaps you will believe this moderator.

Any further inane comments from the peanut gallery will be deleted. So please don't bother. Focus on the op's question otherwise stay out of here.