Carnaval with Kids

PanaMary

Dec 22, 2007
Hi y?all... I?ll be coming to the DR for the first time at the end of January/first part of February and will be bringing two of my various children: a boy, 11, and a girl, 9.

Because I am apparently a moron, and therefore made assumptions about the dates of Carnaval in the DR (namely, that it would coincide with the beginning of Lent, as it does in so many other countries), this appears to give us only one day to see a parade: Sunday, the 3rd, when the Caribbean World Series is going on in Santiago.

The kids are seasoned travelers in Latinoam?rica and not easily intimidated, but after reading about Carnaval in La Vega, I?m wondering whether it?s going to be over-the-top. I?m traveling without my husband, who is skeptical of Carnaval in the first place, and I certainly don?t want to have to do any ?splainin?when I get back home if someone has, for example, broken a femur, or had an eye put out with a bullwhip (okay, so Monte Cristi is out of the question).

We?re all pretty adventurous, and want to make the most of our time there, so I?m tempted to just go for La Vega and let them get a true life lesson in what it means to "watch your back," but I admit that seeing a smaller, more artisanal Carnaval sounds good too, and for that reason I?m drawn to Bonao. But is it too tame?

I?ve also heard that Santiago puts on a pretty good show, but with the Series going on, what will that do to congestion in the city, and for that matter, to attendance at the parade? I know nobody here has a crystal ball (but if I?m wrong about that and you DO, please PM me, I have some other questions for you), but can anyone guess? Attendance up? Down?

I?m placing myself in your capable hands, Oh DR1 Community, with this, my first post. Help me make this a memorable trip for us three -- but umm, in a good way, please.

Mary, Queen of Tots

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
My take on this, is that you'll have to watch your children because it's very difficult to walk through the crowds, very packed, and it's easier to just get off the sidewalk and walk in the street, but you "better watch out" "better not cry" "because I'm tellin you why" those diablos whack you with the real stuff in La Vega, and boy does it hurt.

But on the plus side if you can find a good spot on top of somebody's roof or second floor deck, it'll be a wonderful and memorable experience. Have fun!

I agree with Rocky, pm Hillbilly and also give AZB a pm, he knows the best spots to just stand there and enjoy.

PanaMary

Dec 22, 2007
Thanks y?all. I did in fact get a reply from Hillbilly. For those who are curious, he suggested Santiago over La Vega. Nobody has weighed in on Bonao so far.

The week before, we arrive on a Sunday as well into SD at 2 PM (m?s o menos). That?ll be the 27th. Any chance of a parade on that day in SD, or elsewhere on the eastern end of that side of the island? We had kind of thought we would spend that first night in Bayahibe, but I don?t want to miss any don?t-miss experiences!

Mary, Queen of Tots

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks y?all. I did in fact get a reply from Hillbilly. For those who are curious, he suggested Santiago over La Vega. Nobody has weighed in on Bonao so far.

The week before, we arrive on a Sunday as well into SD at 2 PM (m?s o menos). That?ll be the 27th. Any chance of a parade on that day in SD, or elsewhere on the eastern end of that side of the island? We had kind of thought we would spend that first night in Bayahibe, but I don?t want to miss any don?t-miss experiences!

Mary, Queen of Tots
I do believe that Hillbilly would be voted the most honest knowledgeable DR1 member, hands down.
You should follow his suggestions, and if you get the opportunity to meet him and his family, you will love him like a kid likes a teddy bear.

PanaMary

Dec 22, 2007
Rocky wrote: I do believe that Hillbilly would be voted the most honest knowledgeable DR1 member, hands down. You should follow his suggestions, and if you get the opportunity to meet him and his family, you will love him like a kid likes a teddy bear.

Well, I hardly see how I can NOT go to Santiago after THAT endorsement! :)

Mary <!-- / message -->

Sep 19, 2005
well Hillbilly is partial to Santiago for sure.... and he might be thinking La vega will be over the top for a woman and two kinda youngish kids....

it certainly is a madhouse in la vega both getting in and out and being in teh midst of it all....

BUT THAT IS WHAT MAKES IT THE PLACE TO BE!!!

it will be forever a memory.....

I dont think getting whacked by the diablos in costumes is such a threat if you are that young...they dont go about beating on children....

they would love to whack late teen hot looking chicas and any other adult NOT WATCHING WHERE THEY ARE GOING...THEY HAVE LICENSE TO CAUSE PAIN !!!!

That said I had a big issue with being a mark last year and got caught up in a multi person scheme to rid me of my wallet.... they were talented bunch and determined...even after it should have been known i was onto them.

but if you go to eithe rplace you CANNOT wear and jewelry, or carry a purse .....forget it.....stuff your id and money into your FRONT pockets and make sure they fit tight!

if you have to bring a camera...hold onto it tightly.

this is opportunity ville for a lot of poor and devious people.

but it is intense.......

traffic will be brutal in either city.........

I have gone to carnival in La Vega two different years... and havent gone to santiago yet...but eveyone I know says that santiago isnt a fraction of la Vega.

cant help with Banao right now....maybe Ill ask a coworker who is from there.

good luck

bob