Costa Rica vs. DR

Jan 3, 2003
I've been thinking as of late to relocate permanently to Costa Rica. It seems to be more of what, I believe, the DR used to be. It seems to have a more hospitable climate for investment. The ecological scenery is more impressive than the DR. The women are definitely prettier. Not having an armed forces is quite a quantum leap for a 3rd world Latin American country. The people, themselves are calmer than dominicans in general. I could go on but would like to hear from forum members who have definite experiences with Costa Rica yet have opted out in favor of the DR. Curious to know WHY?

Some might wonder why I didn't opt for Europe or America. Europe is too advanced structurally, stale and haughty and America is as bland as boiled potatoes. It's one gargantuan PUD with no obvious variations. Every state is non-descript and the people generally are automatons greasing the wheels of capitalism. I visit both and enjoy the stay but living there is a whole other set of circumstances. I love the third world setting, its simplicity, rustic charm, and amicability of its native populations.

This is not meant to be an open invitation for THE VILLAGE IDIOTS to queue in their claptrap. You know who you are!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We have had a few threads in the past about this.

You need to look at Colombia. It's cheaper than the DR, much more first world, great infrastructure, more educated in general, varying climates and well connected via Panama.

Don't worry, I will keep the idiots out of this thread :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am with robert, Colombia is the ideal place for you, given the set of your personal requirements.
I was in costa rica and have never returned to this country ever again. It was nice to be there (12 yrs ago), However, I do not think I will return there in any time soon.
its way more expensive than DR. The beaches are lame (dark sand). San jose is congested, polluted and becomes a huge open air whore house at night. The people are more educated but the women are not so easy to score with.
Over all, I would choose DR (santo domingo) over costa rica.
Now if I had to choose between USA, DR, costa rica, mexico and colombia, I would choose colombia any day.
Colombia has good food, variable tradition from one city to another, 1/2 as cheap as DR and people are simply wonderful to talk to. They are well educated and intelligent. The women are very elegant and very beautiful.
The lights are on 24/7 in major cities and the roads are almost all paved without holes. The country seems very organized, almost seems like first world in certain parts of major cities.
i think colombia is the best deal in latin america at the moment.
AZB

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
How would anyone who has lived for visited for extended periods of time compare the crime and saftey from the DR to CR or Colombia?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Its not difficult, you just talk to people there.
Then you look around with your eyes open. Example: I didn't feel very safe in venezuela. On the average, it seemed more dangerous than colombia. I have been to some rough areas in Moscow and I knew i was in the wrong places.
Colombia over-all, gives you fair sense of security.
I usually talk to people there and talk to people in all the cities that i visit. After a while, you will get the general idea of what the country is generally all about.
AZB

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How would anyone who has lived for visited for extended periods of time compare the crime and saftey from the DR to CR or Colombia?

I have visited Colombia a few times and never had a problem and never felt unsafe. AZB has traveled around in Colombia and I know he feels the same way.

The police "appear" to be a lot more efficient than their DR counter parts.
Sure, they have plenty of corrupt cops, but it didn't appear as obvious as it is here at times. To put it another way, a DR cop I would attempt to bribe, a Colombian one I wouldn't.

A little common sense goes a long way :)

Jan 3, 2003
I was in costa rica and have never returned to this country ever again. It was nice to be there (12 yrs ago), However, I do not think I will return there in any time soon.
its way more expensive than DR. The beaches are lame (dark sand). San jose is congested, polluted and becomes a huge open air whore house at night. The people are more educated but the women are not so easy to score with.
Over all, I would choose DR (santo domingo) over costa rica

WOW, CR that bad. You never returned? What advantages do you see that the DR has over CR? I've heard CR is more expenisve but by how much?

You were thinking of leaving Santiago and the DR. Are you having second thoughts? Given your penchant for white women, wouldn't CR be a better place since they 10 times more white women than the DR?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
it just doesn't boil down to women. I also happen to like beautiful black women as well. beauty exists in all races. Now a friend of mine just returned from CR about a week ago. he tells me its about twice as expensive as santiago.
In DR, you still find bargains example; cheap labor, cheap dominican products, cheaper rents and easy to get things done if you pay the right people from under the table. In CR, its a bit more organized and not easy to bribe anyone. I am not saying that it doesn't happen there but not as open as DR. DR has nicer beaches and within short driving distance from anywhere. we have world class beaches here and totally free. If you know the ins and outs in this island, you can bypass almost 90% of your problems.

Now colombia is far cheaper than DR except cartagena (tourist town). I find bogota to be far more advanced in infrastructure than many east european cities. the people are very kind and educated than many folks I see in DR or even in central america. Colombian women are world class beauties and their facial features and color of their skin vary from region to region as well as their accents. Its just a very diverse country. If I have the opportunity, I may move down there.
AZB

johnsantodomingo

May 13, 2006
If you have enough money to live on you might consider Havana. Their is more of a variaty of women. It is the safest place in Latin America because of all the police. No guns. Better basic education and free health care for the Cubans so nobody is going to ask you for money for an operation. The downside is that you cant become a resident which you dont want to either. You will always be a tourist and therefore have to leave to renew your visa. And it has become almost impossible to do any kind of business. You cant get internet or cable tv. A good place to go to get isolated from the rest of the world.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
"A good place to get isolated from

the rest of the world." Don't think Cuba is part of the thread subject but since you brought it up--- Yes, I understand they have "special" arrangements for those that would like total isolation.

They might not ask for operation money but a few might ask for food money. A few being most of the country.

johnsantodomingo

May 13, 2006
Well Colombia was mentioned. And I noticed he was tired of capitalism. Yes you are right they ask for a lot of other things. Mainly to help them get out of the country. And if you have a relationship with a local they will always want you to help them leave the country. And they know you will have to leave eventually.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have a friend (Dutch), who is married to a Dominican that has successfully established a very good business in Cuba. Office, fast internet connection etc etc.
It's not easy, but it's possible.

If you want to rent a car or book a flight internally online, he is more than likely the guy that will handle this.

Flights to Cuba - Cheap Flights to Cuba
Car Rental in Cuba - Car Hire in Cuba - Rex & Cuba Car

He tried to set up shop here in the DR, but had all sorts of issues, especially on the business side. He eventually pulled out and decided to focus 100% of his efforts on Cuba.

My pick is still Colombia, fantastic country and one I plan to spend more time exploring. DR will always be my base as I love living here, but Colombia has so much to offer and is worth serious consideration.

johnsantodomingo

May 13, 2006
The problem is that you can have a successfull business in Cuba. It may even be easier that here to start up if you offer somehing the goverment need. And they dont mind you bringing tourists to the country.but you better not get too successfull because they might then take it from you. Lots of examples of that. That hopefully may change soon. On my first trip to this part of the world I went to Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatamala and Cuba. Costa Rica to me seemed very dominated by the US. But also the place with the highest standard of living.

johnsantodomingo

May 13, 2006
Yes a Swedish friend of mine imported different products and was very successfull with importing Kone Elevators and delivering the technical support. They took away his license. I know about another business where the management contract has not been renewed so they are working with uncertainty about the future. In Cuba there are hardly anybody who has access to internet as it is ilegal so a website can be about Cuba but for people outside Cuba. But starting a website now about Cuba could be very good in a few years. I am sorry bringing Cuba into the discussion. it was really Costa rica we where supposed to debate.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Funny you guys mention Colombia as a good destination - I can't count the number of Colombians that I met in central Florida over the years we lived there that got to the States because of political asylum, ie their family was threatened killed or kidnapped. This happens to foreigners too. I'm sure there are a few areas that are relatively safe as some Colombian have told me, but then again, why are so many still coming to the States?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chip, why are so many Dominicans trying to get to the states, due to to the fear of being kidnapped?

Colombia has undergone massive changes in the past 5 years.
Unfortunately the stigma of how dangerous it is and kidnapping still exists.

Go to Colombia, speak to the Colombians that live there, you will get a very different story and see a very different picture. Everyone I know that has lived, traveled etc in Colombia raves about the country and for good reason.

Give it 3-5 more years, and I'm sure you will see Colombia being a major tourist destination in South America. In 2007 it grew more than any other destination in the Americas, north and south.

The other one to look at is Chile, this is just waiting to explode.

johnsantodomingo

May 13, 2006
It sounds like Colombia is worth while looking into. I have heard that Chile has a high standard of living for a South American country. More like a southern european country.

Jan 3, 2003
Colombia has undergone massive changes in the past 5 years.
Unfortunately the stigma of how dangerous it is and kidnapping still exists.

Go to Colombia, speak to the Colombians that live there, you will get a very different story and see a very different picture. Everyone I know that has lived, traveled etc in Colombia raves about the country and for good reason.

I know what you mean Rob but Chocolate Chip makes a point. Just knowing the FARC is there, wouldn't that make ecological getaways a bit risky? Also anyone with means and as a foreigner wouldn't they be exposed to the isolated possibility of being kidnapped? It seems a bit dangerous. I have spoken to Colombians who left definitely due to this problem. Maybe I am exaggerating things but?

I think you would stick out like a sore thumb in Colombia so it is interesting to think that you felt comfortable there. If you were to name one thing about Colombia, what would it be? It can't be because its cheaper, is it? Maybe it's the people vs. those in the DR?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
O&C, ignore anything you have read about Colombia.
Listen to those of us that have been their a few times and especially those that have traveled around extensively.

If I went by what I read on CNN or in the mainstream US press I wouldn't step foot in Colombia. I know better than that, instead I chose to talk to friends (gringo's) I know that live and work in Colombia, invest in Colombia or visit often. I then went to see for myself. I have never felt unsafe in Colombia. Speak to AZB, he has traveled Colombia much more than me, on the bus, car etc. I'm sure you will find he shares my same feelings.

One thing about Colombia that sticks out... PRIDE!
Colombians are extremely proud of their country and enjoy showing it off.
They hate the negative image that has been and still is thrown about and are working hard to change that.

Is it cheaper than the DR? Yes!
Is it more advanced than the DR? Yes! First world in many cities.
Is the overall education level higher than the DR? Yes!
You see girls on the bus reading the newspaper. Now that might sound like much to many of you on this board, but those of us that live and work in the DR will know exactly what I'm getting at.

I find Colombians in Colombia to be very similar to Dominicans.
Warm, friendly, have an outgoing expressive nature, open minded and curious.
Others may have a different impression, but this is my first hand experience.