US Currency in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicknak100

Dec 7, 2007
I will be traveling to Cabarete soon and was trying to plan on how much cash to carry along. I know i can pay for my hotel with USD but i just wanted to see how generally accepted it is and I couldnt get a clear answer by search any of the other threads.

Do taxis take usd? or Caribe tours? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Nick

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
USD is accepted everywhere in the Dominican Republic. You get a much better bang for your buck if you pay in peso's.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
agreed...taxi guys never have change :ermm: so you will end up overpaying in some cases if you use USD.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
agreed...taxi guys never have change :ermm: so you will end up overpaying in some cases if you use USD.

I think Kyle wanted to say you will overpay in all cases when using USD, and as a gringo in many cases using pesos.;)

Bob K

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
I think Kyle wanted to say you will overpay in all cases when using USD, and as a gringo in many cases using pesos.;)

Bob K

on the last day of this year i'm going to be nice. as i stated, "IN SOME CASES" you may overpay....

*mira*

Jan 4, 2008
I just came back from Peurto Plata and you can pretty well use any currency there, although I would recomend using Pesos (just makes life easier)

Keep in mind for every 100 Pesos that is $3.00 American. So $100.00 American is 3000.00 Pesos

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Actually the rate hovers from 32-34 pesos to 1 dollar and it will depend if you are changing cash at a bank, casa de cambio, or street vendor(not recommended). If you go to a bar and buy a Presidente and hand over US$5, your change will not only be in pesos, but you could be charged a 25-30 to 1 exchange rate and they may still get you on the exact change part. So yes US is accepted everywhere but its not recommended.

It will be best to change over to pesos at a bank or if you must your hotel.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
definitely change dollars for pesos. theres a thread here with recent exchange rates you can compare to the internet. you can also use an ATM card at the local banks but be aware the amount you put in is pesos and not dollars you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.