rum

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
The best Dominican rhum is Barcel? Imperial... But the best rhum of the island is Barbancourt 5 stars !!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Among Dominicans, Brugal Extra Viejo is very popular. Among people with experience drinking other alcoholic beverages-whiskey (bourbon or Scotch)- Barcel? Imperial (at RD$579 a bottle) is often preferred. Berm?dez Aniversario is also quoted as being a fine drink.
Recently (last year or so) Siboney Red Label is getting some play.
For mixed drinks-Cuba Libres and Daiqueries-you can use almost anything--except 151 proof!!! FGS!!
Use of 151 proof: Core a pinapple and fill the core with 151. Repeat. Put the pinapple (cut up) into your fruit punch....Watch the fun!!!

HB

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Had some Brugal Anejo this weekend with Coke.

I did not like at all!!!

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
I agree that Siboney Red Label is quite all right for a decent price... You can drink it on the rocks with a bit of lime, the way one does with the Barbancourt... I would say it's the best quality/price deal...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Best rum I have EVER had, like sipping a fine whiskey: Barbancourt 5-Star 15 year old Special Reserve. Simply awesome, but expensive and hard to come by.

I LOVE Siboney Red Label as an outstanding overall rum.

drny

Jun 12, 2007
Bermudez Anniversario is one the best I've ever tasted and the best I've had on the Island so far. and for Appx. RD$400 a bottle it's a great deal.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Barcelo is the best dominican rum in my books.:bunny:

If you can find Barcel Imperial 21 Anniversary Rum it is by far the best Domincan Rum. It comes in a tin and costs about 1500RD if you can find it.

You can mistake it for a fine Cognac if you put it in a snifter.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It depends how you are going to drink it. With Coke and ice, I think just Brugal Carta Dorada is very good.
I dont think Barcelo mixed with Coke is any good.

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
I have to say I really love Brugal - we bring some back every time we go, that and coffee lol! But I'm no connosieur of rum as I don't like any other. I remember the first time I went to DR and came back in rum mood and went out for a meal and asked for a rum and coke and it was disgusting! Unfortunately we can't get Brugal here so it means we have to visit DR as often as possible - not the best excuse for a holiday but it works for us!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Siglo de Oro is by far the best you can buy.......it comes around once per year, and is guaranteed to be at least 100 yrs old.....and yes it comes in a porcelain bottle....I just bought 6 bottles and dam is it good......and you don?t mix this with coke or anything else, if you do, you waste some good rum, when you can buy a bottle for 100 pesos for mixing

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
I agree that it is somehow a "crime" to mix good rum with Coca-Cola !!!

After spending 2 weeks in Haiti enjoying Barbancourt sundowner almost everyday, I had yesterday 2 regular Barcel? a?ejo on the rocks, and I woke up today with a headache !!! That's the price to pay when one drinks cheap rum !
(I never ever had a headache after drinking Barbancourt ;) )

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Siglo de Oro is by far the best you can buy.......it comes around once per year, and is guaranteed to be at least 100 yrs old.....and yes it comes in a porcelain bottle....I just bought 6 bottles and dam is it good......and you don?t mix this with coke or anything else, if you do, you waste some good rum, when you can buy a bottle for 100 pesos for mixing

siglo de oro is a mixture of rums and nothing in the batch is 100 years old.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
siglo de oro is a mixture of rums and nothing in the batch is 100 years old.

So what IS the big deal with the BLUE bottle? Is it worth the $53USD they were charging in the duty free at the airport? I bought a bottle of Barcelo Imperial...and have a decent supply here....gotta admit I'm a big fan of RED LABEL n coke......Brugal uhhhhh (not so much)

Ideally, though Pyrat Pistol Rum.....it's smoooooooooth.