study abroad students

jessann116

Dec 31, 2007
I am considering studying abroad in Santo Domingo during June/July 08 (studying Spanish). I was wondering if anyone has advice or insights on how foreign (I'm from USA) students are precieved and recieved. I have read all the "cultural differences" threads and learned alot. Does anyone have funny stories/good or bad experiences/insights they can share?

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
I would go through the international university in Santiago if you want to learn the most Spanish FAST ...its a beautiful campus and they have a lot of programs for international students. I dont know much about SD but know of a lot of people who have had great experiences in Santiago

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You could benefit from some different experiences, I think. Try Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra - Campus Santiago and see if you can get into one of the summer programs for Spanish as a Second Language.
Foreign students are just students...at least at PUCMM...and there are plenty of them around..no biggie...
and, you might meet a different type of person....not that some things would change all that much...sorry...

HB

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
that is the university I was also refering to--PUCMM ...great school. I toured the campus with some friends who go there and love it ...my friends are Dominican, but they hang out with lots of international students who are not. Seems like a good place to make friends and easily adjust to your surroundings. Check it our before you commit to Santo Domingo.

sauteedpeas

Jan 1, 2008
My one piece of advice is to watch out for the men. I studied at PUCMM in Santiago last year and not to say it wasnt great, I just cant count how many men I had come up to me and say "lets hang out, I can teach you spanish and you can teach me english". Im pretty sure they had ulterior motives!. I was told that american girls have a bad rep for being easy so just keep in mind thats how some people might treat you. I dont want to discourage you tho. Once I got used to the hissing and my middle name being rubia (even tho im not) it was an absolutely awesome time. brugal, riding the conchos, se fue la luz...All those things make me want to go back!!!!.
anyway if you have any question pm me.