How does one help a poor teen better his life in DR ?

oceanbound

On Vacation!
May 31, 2007
What is the best way to help a Dominican teen better his life and have a brigher future. This male teen (18 years old) speaks very little English and comes from a VERY poor family.

Will paying for English lessons improve his future? I am open to suggestions. I am not interested in adopting a family or bringing anyone to America. I want to find a way to help a teen create a better life for himself in DR.

He currently attends school, but how often and the extent of the quality of his education is unknown. He is certainly not a candidate for a college.

Are trade schools are a possibility?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
First idea that comes to mind would be to find out what he would like to do with his life.
If he isn't really interested in school then that would leave the need for college out since he probably wouldn't attend or complete.
English is necessary but only if he might end up working with expats in any way.
It is always great to know another language but if he won't use it there are other things he should focus on.

Whether it is a trade school, English lessons, college, or finding a job it all seems to come down to money.
Every 'leg up' seems to be possible with a bit of funds. From buying some new clothes to become presentable for interviews for work to school or for tools to learn/work in a trade.

The biggest obstacle may be how motivated he is. No gift no matter how large or helpful is useful if not wanted.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
what he would like to do with his life...

I agree:

"First idea that comes to mind would be to find out what he would like to do with his life."

Don't tell him that you are going to help - just throw out some careers and ask him what he wants to be when he grows up.

(If a language is part of his plan - do not assume that English is the one that he needs. French and German as well as Italian have helped tourism workers.)

Let us know what he tells you......about his plans for himself.

Myself, I only throw my money after folks who are rescuing themselves - with the right attutude, plans and proven dedication. It is like investing in stocks - you study first -both the stock and the market - before investing.

Keep us upated please. Thanks, Sam

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
My step son attends the Air Force academy. He boards and there has lessons and also learns a trade. If he is bright I suppose he could become a pilot but they teach everything from mechanics to engineers to barmen. It costs us 4000RD$ a month. But he is certainly far more disciplined when he comes home, and is eating well and doing loads of sport. I am sure the other forces have the same type of school?

Matilda

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They do to an extent. Not for everyone, yet tons of people would like to send their kids there. And RD$4000 a month is expensive!!

HB

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
What is the best way to help a Dominican teen better his life and have a brigher future. This male teen (18 years old) speaks very little English and comes from a VERY poor family.

Will paying for English lessons improve his future? I am open to suggestions. I am not interested in adopting a family or bringing anyone to America. I want to find a way to help a teen create a better life for himself in DR.

He currently attends school, but how often and the extent of the quality of his education is unknown. He is certainly not a candidate for a college.

Are trade schools are a possibility?

If you're really interested in helping this kid branch out and have a better chance in life in the DR:

Trade schools are a good option but leave very little in terms of growth potential as they are focus on very low or mid trade skills and niches.

Sending him to a military academy is not a bad idea for him, given that they also adjust the attitude of the people there, but then again why such limits for somebody that may have a soft and friendly way of going.

On the other hand, very few young people can attend college in the DR, mostly because fewer yet can deal wit being a 100% of the time student and having to provide for themselves and to some large extend, with the family's basic needs.

If you really want to help this kid and feel proud to have done a very good deed, then by all means ask him what he wants to be "when he grows up", and from that point you can more or less point him towards a careers that will allow him to grow to his full potential and provide for himself and later generations a much better living and chance of making it a better life in the DR.

English or any other idiom is always a good way to acquire personal enrichment, both cultural and economic. Why not? If you can afford modest English school the more power to him!

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
I am also I the process of helping out 2 kids (16 and 18) one finished HS but will not be going the college route, but did have an interest in English ...she is studying that for 1 year (with my help), after already having quite a bit of skill. The other boy is still in HS.

I think it is important to keep encouraging this boy you know to work towards something, whatever that might be. Make him get excited about something and want to do something with his life. I made a bet with the boy I am working with that if he kept perfect attendance at school this past fall semester I would buy him a new pair of Nike Basketball shoes. He did it and I got him the shoes. It might be a small step, but it was a start. Although he is bright, I know that not missing class helped with the all A's and B's he got on his grade report, and it also helped teach him that attendance IS important- even though the public HS doesn't do anything to encourage it.

I would find out what this kid is interested in and run with it ...if its a sport- find magazines, books, etc about it ...he might not be the next Sammy Sosa, but if he obsesses about baseball through tons of reading, drawing, or something like that it might help in other ways.

And by all means ...if you do end up helping the kid out money-wise ...do it by teaching him how to handle having some money. Help him open a bank account. The 2 kids I work with have to log all of the money they spend from the allowance I give them in a checkbook kind of form ...and if they don't do it they dont get the money ... they also dont waste it on crap because they know I will see at the end of the month.

I wish you and the kid you are trying to help out the best of luck.

As far as the Air Force post--- where is that at? Is there a web site? How old to start? What other requirements other than the cost? Post or PM me. Thanks