Best non-All Inclusive hotel on the north coast

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
All inclusives can be fun, but in Cabarete/Sosua there are so many great restaurants and bars to try, why bother.

A great hotel in Cabarete is the Villa Taina. Its is on the beach side and just at the end of the restaurants/shops ...just before all of the all-inclusives start. They have a nice, small pool, nice beach area, beach side bar and patio, and guests get a free hour windsurfing.

Best part---breakfast is included, and its a really nice buffet/made to order omlettes on their patio restaurant on the beach. Eating breakfast at that place is always super relaxing and my fav part of my vacations there!!!

I have stayed here many times and HIGHLY recommend it!

A

apostropheman

sounds great! :)

can you please post the link? any pix?

also what in your opinion is the best place, non AI, in Sosua, and why?

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
I stayed at RIU merengue about 2 months ago, by La bahia de maimon..and I HIGHLY recommend it.

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
villa_taina

if you have a group of 4 go for their 1 of 2 suites on the roof level where you get a large patio all to yourselves perfect for taking in the sun

A

apostropheman

my goodness :surprised, i'm not sure whether i'm poor or just taca?o :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Villa Taina is more than i would usually wish to spend, starting at $79-109 USD, depending on season, a night and Casa Colonial Beach is simply out of the question for me starting at $260 USD a night....plus 26% tax.

i'm not saying they are not worth the price or otherwise challenging their right to charge whatever they want but....i guess i have to go check the lottery numbers :D
(or start a new thread: best non-all inclusive under $50 a night :disappoin)

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
(or start a new thread: best non-all inclusive under $50 a night )

Casa Valeria deserves a mention, though I haven't stayed there since the new management took over. Clean. Pool. Friendly. Adequate sized rooms (except for one that is cramped). Nice though small bar-restaurant . . . and . . . very significant . . . only two minutes from Rocky's (a minute and a half if you're thirsty).

(Now . . . if Marc would just excavate the back courtyard and put in a pool . . . even if the room rate went up five dollars . . . no . . . pool and problems start with the same letter for a reason.)

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
Taina has gotten a little more expensive this past year ...but with the breakfast and lounge chairs (and 1 hour of windsurfing) included it really is worth it.

If you want a cheaper place in Cabarete another great place I have stayed is Hotel Kaoba (it is just about 1/2 a block down from the Taina and on the non-beach side- but it has a bigger pool and is about 30-40 a night. The rooms are still quite nice, most with patios and balconies, very clean, cable, hot showers, gift shop and nice little bar/restaurant)

that site is Cabarete hotel Dominican Republic?Puerto Plata - Cabarete windsurfing and kitesurfing

hazel04?

Jan 21, 2008
North Coast accomodations

Hi

My two boys (ages 12 & 15) and I might stay at the Cabarete Surf Camp for a week in mid-February. What do you know about it???

Can anyone recommend it?

Thanks, H

RonitHillary

Jan 22, 2008
Cabarete or Casa Colonial?

Can anyone tell me about the Velero Resort in cabarete? We were thinking of staying at
casa colonial in playa dorada but we heard that the nightlife and beaches in cabarete are better..for the same price as a standard room at Casa, we booked a 3 bedroom penthouse at Velero! I do question the low price so any info would be helpful...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The Velero is very nice, especially the penthouses. Definitely the nicest place to stay in Cabarete. Great view of Cabarete Bay from the pool and beachfront restaurant...and about a 5 minute walk along the beach to all the "action". Only knock on the place is the pillows...may want to bring your own.

RonitHillary

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks for the tips David, Kemo, why would you pick Casa Colonial over Velero? You didn't say so I'd love to hear more..always good to get more opinions!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Casa Colonial is a true 5 star hotel...but it's sandwiched between two big 3 star all-inclusives. The spa is world class, the hotel, rooms, service and restaurants (very expensive) are top notch as well, but the location is far from private or secluded. And the only entertainment you can walk to is within the Playa Dorada complex. Velero is tucked away at the end of Cabarete bay, so it has a feeling of privacy, but is minutes away from all of Cabarete's action...and as you mentioned there's no comparison in price.

krsibley

Jan 20, 2008
Does anyone have any information or feedback on Sousa by the Sea Boutique Hotel? I am not looking for an AI, just a comfortable, friendly affordable place to stay on my 1st trip to D.R.

Thanks

RonitHillary

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks DavidZ!! You are a great help..we were unsure but that answered our questions..our next question is about getting to Cabarete from SDQ. We are flying in from Los Angeles and will be just beat..is it worth it to hire a private car to drive us or will we be comfortable with Caribe Tours??

hazel04?

Jan 21, 2008
All inclusives can be fun, but in Cabarete/Sosua there are so many great restaurants and bars to try, why bother.

A great hotel in Cabarete is the Villa Taina. Its is on the beach side and just at the end of the restaurants/shops ...just before all of the all-inclusives start. They have a nice, small pool, nice beach area, beach side bar and patio, and guests get a free hour windsurfing.

Best part---breakfast is included, and its a really nice buffet/made to order omlettes on their patio restaurant on the beach. Eating breakfast at that place is always super relaxing and my fav part of my vacations there!!!

I have stayed here many times and HIGHLY recommend it!
Can you recommend the Cabarete Surf Camp ?

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
I don't know much about the surf camp- sorry. I have only stayed at and seen the Villa, Kaoba, Azzuro and Windham in Cabarete ....my pick of those is Villa

swiggy

Oct 7, 2007
Does anyone have any information or feedback on Sousa by the Sea Boutique Hotel? I am not looking for an AI, just a comfortable, friendly affordable place to stay on my 1st trip to D.R.

Thanks

stayed there 4 years ago right after it opened. place is nice, right next to the beach food was ok. wew tended to eat the fresh food that was grilled or cooked in front of you instead of the food in the trays. other than that no complaints