Porfirio Rubirosa, Jet-setting playboy, or ultimate/original sanky panky? Discuss

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Some background from wiki, notable points in bold:

Porfirio Rubirosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Porfirio Rubirosa Ariza, (January 22, 1909 in San Francisco de Macor?s, Dominican Republic - July 5, 1965 in Bois de Boulogne, France) was a Dominican diplomat, polo player and race car driver who competed in the 1950 and 1954 24 Hour of Le Mans, but was best known as an international playboy for his jet setting lifestyle and legendary prowess with women.

Born to a middle-class family, he was the son of an army general. He grew up in Paris, France, after his father was appointed the charg? d'affaires at the Dominican consulate in 1920. He returned to the Dominican Republic at 17 to study law but did not complete his schooling, instead enlisting in the military.

Rubirosa married Flor de Oro Trujillo, daughter of Dominican dictator Rafael Le?nidas Trujillo Molina on 3 December 1932. Trujillo dispatched Rubirosa to his first diplomatic post in Berlin. He later granted his daughter a divorce when it became obvious that Rubirosa had been unfaithful. Unable to return to the Dominican Republic, Rubirosa supported himself by selling Dominican visas to Jews seeking to flee Europe. Rubirosa soon got back into his former father-in-law's good graces, and continued to receive government posts until Trujillo's assassination.

His suave manner and rugged good looks came with a prodigious male appendage and sexual prowess, both subjects of much gossip.[citation needed] Truman Capote described his male organ as "an 11-inch cafe au lait sinker as thick as a man's wrist".[citation needed] At the time, large pepper grinders were sometimes referred to as "rubirosas" in the fast international set.[citation needed] He was linked romantically to Dolores Del Rio, Marilyn Monroe, Ava Gardner, Rita Hayworth, Soraya Esfandiary, Veronica Lake, Kim Novak, and Eva Peron. He dallied with his ex-wife Flor during his marriage to Doris Duke, and with Zsa Zsa Gabor during his marriage to Barbara Hutton. He was named a co-respondent in at least two divorces, the husbands charging adultery.
He married Danielle Darrieux on September 18, 1942. Duke (whom he married on September 1, 1947), and Hutton (whom he divorced just 53 days after their December 30, 1953 wedding) made him wealthy: Duke gave him $500,000, a stable of polo ponies, several sports cars, and a converted B-25 bomber, and gave him a 17th Century house in Paris in the divorce settlement; Hutton bought him a coffee plantation in the Dominican Republic, another B-25, and paid him a reported $3.5 million in their settlement. His last marriage was at age 56 in 1965 to then-19-year-old French actress Odile Rodin, which lasted until his death by crashing his Ferrari while speeding near his home in Paris."

So there are a few things that could put him the sanky category, i.e
-Getting rich marrying gringas
-Player
-Large Salami

And a few that kind of exlcude him:
-educated
-didn't work at a resort (not necessarily a prerequisite for being a sanky)

So was he or wasn't he a sanky? Either way, I'm sure he is the idol of just about any sank out there.

What are your thoughts?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Yes he was, I wished he lived right now so he can be my sanky, i read that he was an excellent lover. heheheh

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
And a few that kind of exlcude him:
-educated
-didn't work at a resort (not necessarily a prerequisite for being a sanky)

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Truth be told many would label him an icon if anything. Plus he was white. Not to bring race into this, but the fact that he was white changes everything removing him from the sanky category. Instead he's a playboy/socialite and from what i understand he never really had a job....

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Truth be told many would label him an icon if anything. Instead he's a playboy/socialite and from what i understand he never really had a job....

Oh he had a job, he was a fashion consultant for Trujillo himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Fashion consultant? I thought Trujillo only did military suits and leather chaps?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
before this colour thing gets out of hand let me just say that a sanky = gigolo and gigolos come in all colours and levels of education, it's that people around here are used to the usual description of sankies talked about in this forum.

Carry on

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Yes he was, I wished he lived right now so he can be my sanky, i read that he was an excellent lover. heheheh

Maybe that's why.. I read that he was also "well endowed" ...But he wasn't that all good looking to me

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Maybe that's why.. I read that he was also "well endowed" ...But he wasn't that all good looking to me

I guess he had it and knew how to use. but a man does not have to be good looking in order to be a good lover, actually I think the not so good looking ones are the good lovers.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
To answer Uruguayo, yes race changes things. I agree with AnnaC, we have a perception of a sanky/gigolo in the Dominican context, but what I meant was that such a simple thing as the color of his skin changes the way history looks at Rubirosa and the way we remember him. White = icon in this case. It's part of the "Eurocentric" context with which we look at history. We do it all the time. Had Porfirio been Black he would have been demonized. Has anyone seen "Birth of a Nation?" I mean look at Hugh Hefner, James Bond and a litany of other "playboys." [Rubirosa] was the quintessential image of what a Dominican man "should be. " It's a very subtle argument that I am making here. A clearer example is how a man has multiple partners he is, well an icon, and a woman has multiple partners she is easy etc. But i feel like this conversation has deviated towards the topic of race and will get out of hand... and finally I will say this. Money has a lot to do with it. Porfirio never needed the money and most sankies are sankies because they need the cash...

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
I don't think color is the main reason why Rubirosa is looked in such way or why he is not consider a typical "sankie" in history, Rubirosa was very well manner, well educated and could carry great conversation with women, also was a great dancer and had really good taste when it came to dressing up, he always show a lot of class, was a polo player and was always in the "high" society circle.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I agree Tallman, so people do not get into the race thing, pleeeease!!! the thread is not about that, he was a sanky because he live off women and in return he gave them lots of loooove.:cheeky:

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Sanky for sure and a professional too.

(Just not sure what part I am the most jealous of) :surprised

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Porfirio never needed the money and most sankies are sankies because they need the cash...

Although he wasn't poor.. He always dated the RICH women and they all used to lavish him with gifts like expensive cars... etc.. So therefore, I don?t think this is necessarily true

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
If he told women the truth and did not pretend to be something he is not (single, rich, poor, robbed, etc.) - then he is just a really fun person to be around. But if he had to lie and con women into friendships or relationships with him while trying to affect their self esteem so that they cannot get out - then he is a sankie I think. Does anyone know how he did it?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
If he told women the truth and did not pretend to be something he is not (single, rich, poor, robbed, etc.) - then he is just a really fun person to be around. But if he had to lie and con women into friendships or relationships with him while trying to affect their self esteem so that they cannot get out - then he is a sankie I think. Does anyone know how he did it?

No he wasn't like that from what I've read. He was very charming and women fell for him because he made them feel special and loved, so in return for all the loving they gave him stuff, because they wanted to keep him.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
No he wasn't like that from what I've read. He was very charming and women fell for him because he made them feel special and loved, so in return for all the loving they gave him stuff, because they wanted to keep him.

Than I wish there were more guys like him ;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
me too

His suave manner and rugged good looks came with a prodigious male appendage and sexual prowess, both subjects of much gossip.Truman Capote described his male organ as "an 11-inch cafe au lait sinker as thick as a man's wrist".

At the time, large pepper grinders were sometimes referred to as "rubirosas" in the fast international set.

it sounds like he had great assets ;)