Roller skate lessons

tuxedodan

Sep 22, 2004
Does anybody know a number I can call to learn to rollerblade in the capital? I really want to learn.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Just buy a pair of skates, get on them and roll along. Tough thing will be finding paved roads you can skate on. On Sundays at the Malecon you can rollerskate/blade. But good places to skate at are hard to find in this city. Trust, I have tried. Still, get your skates and roll around a bit.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Just buy a pair of skates, get on them and roll along. Tough thing will be finding paved roads you can skate on. On Sundays at the Malecon you can rollerskate/blade. But good places to skate at are hard to find in this city. Trust, I have tried. Still, get your skates and roll around a bit.

Just what I was thinking ;)

What about the botanical gardens, I wonder if you can roller blade there? The pavement is wonderful and the surroundings are beautiful

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
As silly as it may look, PLEASE wear a helmet, and pads if you wanna tell your children about your rollerblading adventures in RD.

t'

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
One of the best spots would be the Parque Mirador del Sur. I always see lots of people roller blading there in the morning and late afternoon.

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
Just what I was thinking ;)

What about the botanical gardens, I wonder if you can roller blade there? The pavement is wonderful and the surroundings are beautiful

A word of caution: Do not skate INSIDE the gardens. While it is really pretty, it is also kind of isolated and you can easily be mugged. Skate outside... but watch out for cars in those narrow curves.

Parque Mirador Sur is the best spot by far. There are police in the daytime now, and most areas have really smooth pavement.

Alternatively, you could find a parking lot near your house and practice there.

Best of luck! If I buy skates, soon maybe, I'll PM you :D

Last edited:

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
ok thanks for the advice. However, I was looking for lessons :p

I think you missed the point:

Ever heard of a how to ride a bicycle class?

I learned how to roller skate in 1 day. I fell about 50 times on the first day, 30 on the second, 20 on the third... and about 10 times on average for the first week.

:D

Just buy decent (not expensive) skates and put them on... voila! Free lessons!

Honestly, that is the best way to go. If you go out there to Mirador Sur you could meet up with other people... skate with them and try new and painful things.

But I've never heard of lessons, b/c it is something you just learn to do.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
A word of caution: Do not skate INSIDE the gardens. While it is really pretty, it is also kind of isolated and you can easily be mugged. Skate outside... but watch out for cars in those narrow curves.

Parque Mirador Sur is the best spot by far. There are police in the daytime now, and most areas have really smooth pavement.

Alternatively, you could find a parking lot near your house and practice there.

Best of luck! If I buy skates, soon maybe, I'll PM you :D

People walk around the gardens all the time, how is rollerblading any different? You think it would make it easier to get away ;)

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
People walk around the gardens all the time, how is rollerblading any different? You think it would make it easier to get away ;)

Yeah, but I meant inside the gardens. Also, I don't know when he was planning to rollerblade but if it is early mornings then it is bound to be even less populated.

Hey, it's just my humble opinion... it could be dangerous. :ermm:

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I wonder which is the more probable outcome- - -rollerblading and getting hurt or rollerblading and getting muggeed? Actually, with pads, helmet and a kevlar vest you may be impervious to both:)

I kinda got the feeling tuxedodan ws looking for a tutor.........

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
I wonder which is the more probable outcome- - -rollerblading and getting hurt or rollerblading and getting muggeed? Actually, with pads, helmet and a kevlar vest you may be impervious to both:)

I kinda got the feeling tuxedodan ws looking for a tutor.........

Yup, so I guess we're not helping at all... :dead:

richardmci

Dec 27, 2007
Hi,

How wide is that path through Mirador Sur?

Do bicycles, roller bladers, and joggers and walkers share the road / path well?

Crime was mentioned in connection with the other park, and that there are now cops in Mirador Sur. What is the general assessment about safety in Mirador Sur these days?

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
Hi,

How wide is that path through Mirador Sur?

Do bicycles, roller bladers, and joggers and walkers share the road / path well?

Crime was mentioned in connection with the other park, and that there are now cops in Mirador Sur. What is the general assessment about safety in Mirador Sur these days?

The path through the trees and green area is about 2-3 meters wide. There are also 2 roads with 2 lanes divided by a grassy median.

Cyclists ride on one road, rollerbladers and pedestrians on the other. There are also sidewalks on either side for pedestrians only.

Roads are closed to traffic from 5 or 6am to 9:15am, though sometimes the garbage trucks and police slowly :ermm: transit the area.

There are mounted cops and cops on foot about every 1/2 km on the roads outside, some in the forest path.

I would say it is a very safe area now, but it never hurts to go in pairs, and to visit during peak hours, since the police leaves when the roads are opened to traffic.

Roads are closed also from 4:30 to 7-8, not sure on the specific times.

IMO, best place to do these activities.

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
You can also try the Malecon (from Lincon to Maximo Gomez) on Sundays: they close it down and it has a nice smooth surface for the most part. I personally don't bike there though: the saltwater mist = death for bikes.