Hotel in Pedernales

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
Hello,
Can somebody recommend me a "good" hotel in pedernales, meaning it has at least a fan, if not air.
Thanks

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are two decent places - one is called Do?a Chava. The other place is nearby - I can't remember the name, sorry.

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
Thanks, I have called them, unfortuantely all si booked in Pedernales for the long weekend

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Hotel In Perdanales

The other hotel is called Hotel Rossy next to the Shell Gas station..US $15 per night..Cold water only...celing fans and no screens..But clean and comfortable..

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
All will be booked, for certain

Pedernales has reached maximum capacity for hotels, the three good ones are Dona Chava, D'Oleo Mendez and Villas del Mar but they only have about 35 rooms between them so that on a long weekend they will all be booked long in advance. Try going during the week.

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
Maybe you get a chance before Pedernales?
I have not checked capazity right now, bu tmany hotels around Barahona are also fully booked.
Villa Morinda in Ojeda oder Oasi Italiano in Los Patos. But still long way to drive...to Pedernales.
The hotels in Enriquillo and Juanchez (some write Guanchez) will not fit to your needs. Very dominican Campo style. cold water only...bu tbefore I burn my mouth, just look to the LonelyPlanet discription. Not really recommended for people who like a little bit of standard.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Was unclear

Pedernales has reached maximum capacity for hotels, the three good ones are Dona Chava, D'Oleo Mendez and Villas del Mar but they only have about 35 rooms between them so that on a long weekend they will all be booked long in advance. Try going during the week.

Not that Pedernales is at maximum capacity but that all the good hotels are usually full up every weekend. I don't know the economics of the hotel business - of whether of not a hotel can survive on just weekend business but if it can, well Pedernales is ready for another one.(well, duh, the three hotels that are there are surviving... one of them is for sale)

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Why fully booked in Pedernales?

Thanks, I have called them, unfortuantely all si booked in Pedernales for the long weekend

Just curious - what would be so interesting in Pedernales that 35 hotel rooms would be booked during a weekend? - Pedernales is nice but is really at the end of the road; unless you are in the used clothes tranding business with Anse-a-Pitre on the other side of the border.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Bahia de las Aguillas and Hoyas de Pelempito (hope I got the spelling right?) two of the most beautiful spots in the country...plus a sweet little town, away from it all, and a gorgeous drive down there which some consider the best in the country.

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
@arrica
I totaly agree on your comment! What is nice in Pedernales??
I would not have a house there even it is for free!
BUT:
think tourist way:
Pedernales is near to Playa de Las Aguilas. Not all people like to go on one day trip over there. And in fact, around there is many more places to visit, like Hoyo de Pelempito.
So go there, visit the most beautifull beach in the DR (for me it is), sleep in Pedernales (perfect Sunday-Monday) and go to the local market on monday.
Even on other days you can cross the border to Haiti for some time (<30min) without Visa. Than you go uphill to Pelempito. And take a slow ride back to Barahona with stops on places like Los Patos, San Rafael, Quemaito Beach...
Around and in Barahona you find a few nice hotels to start next day a trip to other places like Lago Enriquillo, Cachote ( not well know but a must see!!!)
and more.

kmorris

Feb 20, 2006
Does anyone know the hotel rates for Dona Chava, D'Oleo Mendez and Villas del Mar? Also, are they located in town, with a view, etc? Thanks for your help.

K.

Feb 15, 2005
I don't know of the others but the number to Hotel Villas del Mar is 809 524 0448. It's the best hotel in Perdenales in my discussions regarding places to stay in town. Also, from what I can recall there are no hotels with oceanviews, since they are located in twon and away from the ocean shoreline.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I liked Do?a Chava when we stayed there two years ago, but I can see how it might be too basic for some, especially if it hasn't been well maintained since then.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Dona Chava is still well maintained but smaller and a bit older. Villas del Mar has a pool and is newer - but if you have no car it can be a walk for coffee. Both Dona Chava and D'Oleo Mendez are right in town. Dona Chava serves breakfast - ASK the night before and D'Oleo Mendez which is right across the street - has the best restaurant in town. I think I posted the numbers on another thread. Anyway - BE sure to make reservations for the weekends as town is always full.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I love D'Oleo Mendez, I always eat there when I'm in town and the food is great. I have never stayed in the hotel but the restaurant is right on the patio by the rooms and I have seen all the rooms and they are well kept and maintained. I think the have A/C in some of the rooms.

Feb 15, 2005
I don't know how many posters here would agree with me that Perdenales is a quaint little town and as I visit more and more I find it that I like it more than Barahona. It just has that old charm about it that somehow is being lost in the rest of the country.

Feb 15, 2005
some additional information:

Sur Caribe (Calle Duarte, ☎ 809-524-0106) $$. With a location just off the public beach, a swimming pool, and air-conditioning and hot water in the rooms, Sur Caribe is a good choice. Some of the more

spacious rooms come with small kitchenettes. The hotel restaurant specializes in seafood.

Villas del Mar (Barrio Villas del Mar, ☎ 809-524-0448) $$. This newish two-story hotel is somewhat off the beaten path, but could be worth seeking out if you have your own car. All the rooms have cable TV, fans, and small air-conditioning units that might take awhile to cool your room. (And as a general rule, beware of any top-floor rooms in Pedernales – keeping in mind that hot air rises. It’s so hot here during the day that nights spent without air-conditioning can be very uncomfortable.)

Do?a Chava (Calle Segunda, ☎ 809-524-0332, marinojos@yahoo.es) $. While the 11 rooms are basic – double beds complemented by writing desks and chairs, ceiling fans and no hot water – Do?a Chava is often full, so be sure to reserve well ahead. One reason for its popularity is the excellent service. Another is that the owners have a flair for decorating, sprucing up the rooms with attractive paint, window curtains, and cane chairs. Birds congregate in the lush garden and a gazebo with rocking chairs attracts guests for breakfast (RD $80 extra).

Hostal Restaurant D’Oleo Mendez (Calle Antonio Duverge 9, ☎ 809-524-0416) $. Across the street from Do?a Chava, this hostal’s rooms are a little more expensive and a little more comfortable, with cable TV and nice tiled bathrooms. The restaurant is excellent for lunch and dinner, though the breakfast is better at Do?a Chava. And the D’Oleo Mendez trails in level of service and character as well. But if Do?a Chava is full, this makes a perfectly decent alternative.

Reactions: mountainannie

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I don't know how many posters here would agree with me that Perdenales is a quaint little town and as I visit more and more I find it that I like it more than Barahona. It just has that old charm about it that somehow is being lost in the rest of the country.

Richard, I definitely agree with you. Barahona is too busy and when I'm there I can't wait to go back to Bahoruco, I just go and purchase whatever I need and leave as soon as I can. When I was around 15 or 16 years old I spent two weeks in Pedernales at a family friend's house and I have many fond memories of those two weeks, Pedernales is definitely in my list of favorite towns.

Feb 15, 2005
Hi Marilyn,

If your stay in Perdenales for a month you probably go nuts. But if you're visiting, that quietude and tranquility, is just the mental and physical medicine one needs.
This is still one of those old-times Dominican towns of years past.
People gather in the plaza on the weekends for a few hours, then go home. Others stay later in their tables drinking their beers and listening to music. Real nice and easy.