Immigrant stories for Documentary Film (NYC)

cineasta

Jan 11, 2008
I am a documentary filmmaker planning a documentary for PBS about the experiences of Dominican immigrants in NYC.

If you or anyone you know has a story to share, please contact me.

The purpose of this documentary is to share with the general audiences a few of the untold stories behind immigrant lives. As an immigrant myself (Argentino), I feel Americans know very little about us and it is important to tell our stories - of migration, adaptation, nostalgia, pain, joy, the whole spectrum - in our own voices.

The one-hour film will tell the stories of three individuals. The Dominican stories will be the first of a series of four documentaries to be produced in the next three years.

I am particularly interested in stories related to water (the dangerous voyage to PR, Hombres Ranas living in NYC, fishermen, etc.), but am eager to learn about the many other stories out there.

If you or anyone you know have a story to share, and would be interested in sharing this story in professionally produced documentary for Public Television, please let me know and we'll make arrangements to speak (English o Espa?ol).

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you!
Leo

cineasta

Jan 11, 2008
Documentary Information

If you are interested in sharing your stories, please contact me off-list at
cineasta2007@yahoo.com and I can provide more details.

There's no pay (though we have a small budget for incidental costs).
But you have your story shared with the world on public television. Your contribution to a rich document of the Dominican history, culture, and experience in the US ... your legacy to future generations.

Leo

cineasta

Jan 11, 2008
Documentary - confidentiality

Sorry to cross post, but someone in the "yola" thread asked an important question about confidentiality that might be relevant to folks following this thread.

The issue of confidentiality can be worked on an individual basis. The person can remain anonymous through a few techniques (like not showing tha face and changing names). It would be ideal if they could share everything (and they are now legal, of course). It makes the documentary stronger and more personal.

At this point, I am searching for stories with full confidentiality as a form of research. Once the story is chosen for filming, the person can choose how they want to proceed.

Thanks
Leo