Dominican restaurant

lanena414

Jan 10, 2008
I am opening a small spanish restaurant and I have not thought of a name yet, have any ideas?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I am opening a small spanish restaurant and I have not thought of a name yet, have any ideas?

I think a lot will depend on where you plan on putting it. For example, if it is here in the DR you might want something completeley different than in the States. Furthermore, if you are in the States in an area with not a lot of hispanics, you might want to go with something very obvious(assuming you will have Dominican food), like "Santo Domingo Restaurant", however, in NYC, "Mi Quisqueya" would probably be better. Also, many Dominicans in Florida who have restaurants inevitably name their restaurant with the term "Cuban" specifically for name recognition as many gringos in the States are completely oblivious to the existence of the DR.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
El Gran Mars de Plata
Rancho Jubilee
El Castillo de Jagua
El Castillo de Oro
El Nuevo Portal
El Viejo YaYo
El Continental
The Original Rockys:laugh::laugh:

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
I like the names CONUCO, LATIN FIRE, CARIBBEAN DELIGHTS

yes there are many restaurants in Florida that have the name "CUBAN" somewhere in the restaurant name.... but there are also many restaurants with "LATIN CUISINE"

By the way .. Cuban food is very good.. just like all Caribbean foods. It all has to do with the "CHEF".. it all has latin flavor!!

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Why have a Dominican name for a Spanish restaurant? Now, if the restaurant is Hispanic, then a Dominican name could work.

She didn't ask for a dominican name. She stated she was opening a spanish restaurant and wanted suggestions for names. The title is "Dominican restaurant" and this is a Dominican board so...my guess is the Spanish restaurant will be in the DR ;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I like the names CONUCO, LATIN FIRE, CARIBBEAN DELIGHTS

yes there are many restaurants in Florida that have the name "CUBAN" somewhere in the restaurant name.... but there are also many restaurants with "LATIN CUISINE"

By the way .. Cuban food is very good.. just like all Caribbean foods. It all has to do with the "CHEF".. it all has latin flavor!!

What I found out to be somewhat funny is that in Central and North Florida at least, the majority of the owners of the restaurants are not Cuban even though they have "cuban" in their name or say "Cuban cuisine" in fact most of them happen to be Dominican. Of the top of my head I know at least 4 in the Orlando area.

However, I can eat at a Cuban restaurant or whatever and tell you if the cook is Domincan; they are the only ones who consistently make delicious rice and beans. The PR's and Cubans are guilty of using canned beans a lot of times and add absolutely no seasoning to their rice.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The spanish restaurant here in Juan Dolio is called El Meson. There is also one called el Sueno. But why not go half dominican and call it el espanish retaurant.

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
She didn't ask for a dominican name. She stated she was opening a spanish restaurant and wanted suggestions for names. The title is "Dominican restaurant" and this is a Dominican board so...my guess is the Spanish restaurant will be in the DR ;)

I just wanted to illustrate in my post that the original poster made an incorrect use of the word Spanish, because what she meant with it was 'relative to a Spanish-speaking country or to Latin American culture.' In this context, her usage of Spanish means 'relative to Spain.' So she should have said 'Hispanic' instead of 'Spanish.'

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
We'll send an invoice

Hi lanena--so what do you think so far of the suggested names and the questions that were presented? Give us a hint. Need your input. You probably thought all this was free advise. LOL
JOHN

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Would that be Quixote II as one already bit the dust. Hey, where did all the top shelf brady and grappas go?

First he drank all the limoncello, then brandy and grappa.... it was Don Quixote I (aka miguel), your thread is going drive him over the edge. :paranoid:

PS... we want to attend the opening of the restaurant, all of DR1

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
First he drank all the limoncello, then brandy and grappa.... it was Don Quixote I (aka miguel), that other thread is going drive him over the edge. :paranoid:

He's obsessed with that other thread! With over 5300 views -4300 must be his.Wait till we get him started on this subject.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
WAAAaahhhhhhaaaaa! You're bad.... let's generalize:

Let's call the restaurant "asapao", it's a good name EVERYONE will want to go there regardless of the cuisine. :)