Caribe Tours - 6 questions

AySquare

Jan 12, 2008
Hi
Im not a spanish speaker and I couldnt find answers to the questions below anywhere.

a) Whether Caribe Tours takes advance reservations or is it first come first serve?

b)If it is first come first serve, what happens if theres more people than seats on the bus and its the last bus of the day?

c) How does it work if you are making a connection through Santo Domingo?
Do you buy tickets to the ultimate destination before you get on the bus or do you have to buy tickets to the 2nd leg at the bus station in Santo Domingo?

d) Are there any options for food in/just outside the bus station in Santo Domingo in the event that we have a long wait between the 2 legs

e) Do they take credit cards or is it cash only?

f) If its cash only, is it Pesos, USD or both?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Here's the response to your questions

Hi
Im not a spanish speaker and I couldnt find answers to the questions below anywhere.

a) Whether Caribe Tours takes advance reservations or is it first come first serve? first come, first serve

b)If it is first come first serve, what happens if theres more people than seats on the bus and its the last bus of the day? they won't sell you a ticket, everyone is seated and no one is standing up. If it's the last bus, try waking up earlier and getting the eariler bus or go to Metro, another bus company.

c) How does it work if you are making a connection through Santo Domingo?
Do you buy tickets to the ultimate destination before you get on the bus or do you have to buy tickets to the 2nd leg at the bus station in Santo Domingo? At the original station you buy your ticket to your final destination. No, you do not have to buy a second ticket.

d) Are there any options for food in/just outside the bus station in Santo Domingo in the event that we have a long wait between the 2 legs
Buses do not stop for food stops, only terminal stops. So buy some food before getting on the bus in case you mght get hungry.

e) Do they take credit cards or is it cash only? Cash

f) If its cash only, is it Pesos, USD or both? Pesos And if you only have dollars, then at most caribe tours stations there's a caribe express offices, where you can exchange dollars to pesos

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

AySquare

Jan 12, 2008
Thanks for that super quick response - really appreciate it.

Just a couple of clarifications:
i) When i asked about the last bus of the day - its because the time that the flight lands in SDQ only allows me to take the last bus of the day (in this case to Barahona).
So if I do find myself in the situation that the bus is sold out - any suggestions for what my options are?

ii) About the question of food - I meant food at terminal stops, not food stops along the journey.

Thanks again.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Thanks for that super quick response - really appreciate it.

Just a couple of clarifications:
i) When i asked about the last bus of the day - its because the time that the flight lands in SDQ only allows me to take the last bus of the day (in this case to Barahona).
So if I do find myself in the situation that the bus is sold out - any suggestions for what my options are?

ii) About the question of food - I meant food at terminal stops, not food stops along the journey.

Thanks again.

I doubt you will experience sold out seats from SD to Barahona. Apparently there are other options, just look into that -beautiful picture from that link

GoBarahona.com - Come and Enjoy this Adventurous Place!!! - Transport

If all fails, stay in Santo Domingo and leave early in the morning - if that's an option you can consider.

At the upper level of caribe tours you can buy food

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Just one caveat: Unless they have changed things recently, if you take the Caribe Tours route with a stop in San Francisco de Marcosis, the terminal there has restroom facilities, a place to purchase food, and a casa de cambio. On my last trip to Sanchez, it was compulsory to leave the bus for a short time at that stop.

AySquare

Jan 12, 2008
Thanks everyone - you've been a great help.

Ironically I had found the GoBarahona site - but it didnt strike me to look for Transportation info in the 'Invest' section when I didnt find it in the "Tourism" section...