Examination of nation's history in baseball opened to public

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Exhibit recognizing the contributions of Dominicans to MLB now on display.

If you go, please report on it.

Last edited:

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Went to the Exhibit today, and really liked it. It gives a general overview of all topics related to baseball in the Dominican Republic: how the game got here and got started, basic information about local informal leagues, the minor leagues, and the winter league, the major teams through history and playing now, the importance of the game in politics through history (how Trujillo used the game to achieve his ends, etc.), and brief backgrounds and bios/photos of most major Dominican players.

I can't say that I learned anything new, but it was great seeing some of the old pictures from games being played back in 1907, world series rings and golden gloves awards for various players, some of the 'handmade' balls and gloves that the poor kids use (gloves made from cardboard cartons, balls made from twine, bottle caps used as balls, etc.. which they have there to see), and other stuff like that.

Everything is in Spanish only, but I did buy the Exhibition Catalogue, which is mostly in Spanish, but contains two very informative and lengthy essays at the end in English. The Catalogue contains all of the photos and pictures of all the displays on view at the museum, so its a really great keepsake. It costs $1000 pesos ($30 at todays exchange rate), and for a baseball fan like me its worth every penny. You are not allowed to take any pictures in the exhibition, which is the one beef that I have with the show, as I was there with friends and we would have liked to have gotten some photos in front of some of the exhibitions.

The entrance fee for the museum, including the baseball exhibition, is only $70 pesos ($2.00), so it's a good deal. It is up and running until May, so hopefully lots and lots of people will get up to Santiago to see it.

Be sure not to miss the excellent collection of both older and contemporary art on the second floor, as well as the Anthropological exhibition on the first floor (collections of pottery and art objects from the Tainos and throughout Dominican history, info about the various types of peoples who have been here and populated the country through the years, etc..). Both are worth the price of admission as it is, as this is really one of the best museums in the entire Caribbean.

I can also highly recommend the cafe. I had Crepes which were absolutely delicious ($140 pesos, or $4.00), and all my friends loved their wraps, salads, and sandwiches. It truly is one of the best lunches I've had here in quite a while, and very reasonably priced considering the freshness and quality. The gift shop, besides having the Exhibition Catalogue book, also has lots of other interesting books, decorative objects, t-shirts, and is definitely worth a look as well.

Hope that some of this info is helpful to those thinking about making the trip up to see it! In short, two thumbs up from me!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Great report, thanks!

Hope that some of this info is helpful to those thinking about making the trip up to see it! In short, two thumbs up from me!

Thanks mb2. Wish I could make it down to see it myself.

I did once go through the catacombs of Estadio Quisqueya; amazing to see all the old trophies and whatnot.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
mb2 echoes what we have been preaching for a couple ofyears now. Go see the Centro Leon.
Nobody i know that has gone has been disappointed.

HB