vacationing jarabacoa/cabarete late March

amy paraniuk

Sep 3, 2007
Greetings from Kentucky USA!!! My family will be staying in Jarabacoa for a week in late March 2008. We will then travel to Cabarete. Any suggestions of how i should pack clothing/necessities for a 13 year old boy? Will it be easy to purchase everyday supplies (soaps, shampoos, ets) so we dont have to travel on the plane with them? What about grocery stores? Any suggestions you can offer us will be a great help!!

Warmest Regards--KY Woman

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
At the Jarabacoa Supermarket and the store next to it you can get all your groceries, shampoos, soap, booze....etc. Price wise somethings will be a little more expensive, some cheaper, and some way more expensive, toothpaste for example. Where are you staying in Jarabacoa? Both of these stores you will see on your leftside, just as you enter Jarabacoa. There will be a big sign, Super Mercado Tony, who speaks English.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
For clarification. Tony speaks English, not the sign. Jarabacoa, although not supplied with the variety of stores that a larger center in the DR has, nor even close to what most American town have has several very good fruit/vegetable markets, one very close to the town square. Clothing stores are abundant, and there is a very good Pharmacy. Two private Medical clinics, one with 5-6 Doctors, and one larger than that. I've only been to the smaller one and it seems clean. They do have an autoclave for sterilizing, so that's a good sign. I can't think of anything that you can't get their for a 13 years old. If he plays games that take batteries, I would take a supply of those because they are really expensive there.

alloallo3

Jan 27, 2007
I think Bob has done a good job of describing the access to goods in Jarabacoa -- they're all there, but the pricing is different (some things are more, others less). If your son wants to make friends, there's a coterie of shoeshine boys on the plaza there. They range from about 10 - 14, and they seem to be pretty nice. Let me suggest that if you want to be the most popular people in town, you can bring with you a baseball bat and a couple balls. The balls you can find in the DR for a reasonable price, but for some reason bats are beyond the means of virtually every family in the country (us $120 and up!) You can pick up a nice aluminum bat at your Wal-Mart for about $25, or at a yard sale for next to nothing. Trust me when I say the response will be well worth it.

While you're there, be sure to visit Salto Jimenoa One. Because they are easier to access, the guides in town will try to get you to go to the Salto Baiguate and Salto Jimenoa Two, but you should insist. This is the falls from Jurassic Park, and it's spectacular (a tough walk back up, though).

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
While you're there, be sure to visit Salto Jimenoa One. Because they are easier to access, the guides in town will try to get you to go to the Salto Baiguate and Salto Jimenoa Two, but you should insist. This is the falls from Jurassic Park, and it's spectacular (a tough walk back up, though).

Is Salto Jimenoa One the one with the huge waterfall at the end after you finish walking across several rickety wooden suspension bridges?

If it is, then yes, please go to this one. It is spectacular.

alloallo3

Jan 27, 2007
actually, no.

No, to get to Salto Jimenoa Two you take a trail down to the bottom of a deep canyon. (The walk back up is why most guides don't want to take you there.) It's about two to three times the height of the Baiguate and SJ One, and you'll probably have it all to yourself. We learned about it by reading the Rough Guide.

J

John Evans

there was no bridge when i went it had been washed away ...early november has it been rebuilt