Polo Magnetico

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
Hello,
I am going this weekend to Pedernales and Paraiso, and probably to Lago Enrequilo.
Can somebody confirm if there is a road from Paraiso to Polo? If so how good/bad is this road and how long does it take to travel. (I do have 4x4 suv)
I would like to go from Paraiso to Polo Magnetico and from there continue to Lago Enriquilo. Is this posible, or is it just not worth the trouble, and it would be easier and faster to go back to Barahona and go that way.
Thanks for any suggestions

Borec

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The best way to go is just after the airport approaching Barahona going east you will make a right turn towards Cabral. At Cabral you need to go left up the mountain to Polo M. When you get to Cabral just ask for the turn, everyone knows it. Takes about 45 minutes from Barahona.

Do not try any other way. This one is best.

Feb 15, 2005
There is a road right around Paraiso that takes you round the back of Polo. It's probably the same distance, however the view this back way is awesome and I would recommend it. You might as well see something new and this is very very scenic.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Not a question about Polo itself since I've been there, but since someone mentioned Paraiso does anyone know if there are accomodations right in Paraiso. I would like to go and spend a dya or two there...Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread.

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
There is a road right around Paraiso that takes you round the back of Polo. It's probably the same distance, however the view this back way is awesome and I would recommend it. You might as well see something new and this is very very scenic.

Thanks, it seems that you have travelled on this road. how good or bad is it? And how long does it take to get from Paraiso to Polo? Thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not a question about Polo itself since I've been there, but since someone mentioned Paraiso does anyone know if there are accomodations right in Paraiso. I would like to go and spend a dya or two there...Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread.

There is a hotel in Paraiso that is OK. I think it is called Hotel Paraiso. They charge about 500RD per night. Clean with no frills, and I mean no frills. For water you need to tell the desk to turn it on, but it works OK. When I asked about hot water the clerk said this is the Caribbean, just THINK HOT.

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
Go to the Bay of Eagles...it's amazing. (We walked down the giant hill b/c we didn't have a 4x4, but it's a GREAT place to find shells).

Feb 15, 2005
Borec, yes I went through there during a strike in Paraiso. The road is excellent and you would be going through the town of Polo before reaching the Polo Magnetico road. Keep your eyes opened or you will miss it coming in this direction and it's your first time. The Polo Magnetic road splits to the left from this direction and merges again 50 yeards up the road.
FYI:
You should ask someone in town for the the best organic coffee in the region if not on the island called Mama Gueda 809-688-1806. The coffee is a product of this cold region, it's awesome. Don't miss out!!! It's coffee you will go back for, promise.

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
Richard,
Thanks for the tips, I have been to Praiso last year, and was planning to go to the polo, so I researched the road a little on Googleearth, but when I got to Paraiso it was late and I had to get to SD so I left it alone. I am going that way again and this time I do not want to miss it, as it might be the last time I will be in the area.
Thanks for the coffe tip, but unfrotunatelly I am tea drinker, and cannot stand the smell of caffee.

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
a GREAT place to find shells).

I have been there last year, but I drove all the way to the end of the beach, and did not find many shells (I found some large snails, but in about 12 feet of water, and old snail shell with octupus in it). Where exactly did you find the shells? near that steep hill, or further in? I will be going on friday (hopefully)
Thanks

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
Borec, I'm going to get you the route and post it here in the next day or two.

Hello,
I did not make it back in January, but will be going Friday early morning, will try to do it this time. Would it be possible for you to post the route by then? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
David

Feb 7, 2007
It's quite easy in the town of Polo
If you are coming from east, you have to turn left. if you are coming from west, you have to turn right.

There is a small "Parque" (in a form of triangle) after which you make the turn (about 100 mts). Better ask where it is because the road sign is quite invisible.

Feb 15, 2005
The best that I was able to access from the direction given to me was that the passage is from Enriquillo through what's called Iguero. You will have to ask once you get to Enriquillo. But the trip is very easy and the connecting roads are very good. Sights are nice as well..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Make sure you bring a large bottle of water to pour there and see which direction it goes. Also bring a camera. When you get there you will see a side road where you can stop and let your car go up the hill in neutral.

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
Made it this time.

I originally wanted to go directly to Paraiso from Polo, but I was told that the road is bad (which I have my doubts about, since the only real bad road that I found in DR is the short hill climb in Bahia de Aguilas), but since I was with the family I took the road to Enriquillo. Which at one stage (like maybe 50 years ago) was asphalted, but now it is only partly, and is narrow, just for one car at most of its trajectory. The road is not perfect, especially the broken down asphalted bits. You could drive the whole road with a normal sedan, no need for 4x4 or high clearance. Due to the potholes, you can go only about 20-30 mph, which is fine, as you get nice views (especially around Polo). There is one bit which is fairly steep, just outside of Polo, but unless you are driving a 500cc indian car, you should not have a problem getting up there. The views are nice, reminding me a lot of Bolivia's Yungas region.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Update on Paraiso-Polo Magnetico Road

Has anyone been on the direct road from Paraiso to Polo Magnetico lately? Is it passable for a medium size sedan? How long does the trip take?