Playa Limon

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
Want to share a magic part of DR
We have stayed for new year at a small hotel called Harley Heaven near Playa Limon, about 40 minutes drive from Mitches.
Playa Limon is in my opinion the last real undeveloped carribean beach, about 5 km long, yellow sand, palm trees and medium size waves. There is no infrastructure, only during the weekdays there is a group of tourist who ride horses to the entrance to the laguna limon.
The hotel Harleys Heaven is run by a Andy, a german, and as a name suggest harley lover. He is a very nice guy. He has 6 rooms on a small hill, overlooking the palm trees, and with a views of Monta?a Redonda, a vulcano like hill nearby (you can drive all the way up to the hill, if you have 4x4, you could do it with a normal car too I guess, but the road is pretty steep, best time to visit the hill is at about 4 pm when the sun goes down, and you have amazing view of both lagoons from there Redonda and Limon).
Andy also has a bar in a new hotel (two stories, and has about 8 or 10 rooms) that he is building near the river below the small hill, there is also another hotel there run by austrian, I think it is called las Cuevas, it has a restaurant, but when i asked for beef, i got something that looked like two 25 peso coins, and was charged quite a lot of money for it.
Harleys Heaven has no air con, just fans, two of the smaller caba?as on the hill have small fridges. As there is no electricity supply, Andy has his own generator and inversor.
Anyway the beach is beatiful, and if you have 4x4 you can drive kilometers down the cost throught the coconut palm forest, without seeing a soul.
I have been to the hotel 4x already and it is my favourite place in DR. It will not last long as there are plans in motion for some development alias Cap Cana, Casa de Campo. Which does not surprice me much. So go and see it before even this place will go.

If anybody wants more info let me know. Here are some pics from the area of Playa Limon and its surroundings and from the road to Mitches.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

I will post more pictures in a next post as there is 10 picture limit

A

apostropheman

it looks beautiful.

thanks for the pix and the info.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Wow... it looks beautiful. Do you have a website for Harley Heaven? How do you get there? I couldn't find anything. I'm looking to get away and this looks perfect!!!!! What is there to do? Snorkeling? hiking? or is there just NOTHING?????

Thanks

2LF

I am Tourguide in Dominican Republic.
I made 40 different excursions with tourists in 13 years.
The Tour Laguna Limon VIP is in my opinion the best and most intereresting Trip in Dominican Republic.
Surely Harley Heaven has a website.
Andy the owner is already 14 years a good friend from me.
He is German. And you know that Germans always want to have everything perfect.
I never stayed in his hotel. But I am sure that it is very OK.
Harleys Heaven - Playa Limon - Hotel - Cabanas - Bar

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
Andy's Details

Glad you people liked it, as I said I have seen quite a lot (by means not all, of DR, and quite a lot of other beaches Tahiti, Australia, Brazil) and this is one of the most beautiful. This is his website:
Harleys Heaven.
He had some problems with his previous site, but I guess he fixed this one now. By the way he has INTERNET there as well. :) (satellite)
As to what can you do there? Well it is not really for snorkeling, as there are waves. The excursion (driving your self) to the Monta?a redonda is worht the trouble. You can also get horses and go horse riding (cannot remember the prices, but Andy will know), or go for a boat trip to the Laguna Redonda (I brought my own inflatable kayak, so that was not a problem). But the best is to explore the beaches with 4x4, and getting coconuts and making coco loco :). bring your own machete, rum and ice. Be warned, not all is paradise, there are mosquitoes and sand flies, in the afternoon. So take repellent. Not much hiking, as it is too hot anyway. I did not go there during summer, as I guess it would be too hot without air. But it was OK all the way to may.
Andy is real helpful, and if you can mention that David send you. He is also on skype his nick is "harleysheaven".
Oh I guess you can also arange excursion to see the whales, but that would be from Mitches I guess, ask Andy about it, he has some friends who do that.

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
I guess his Spanish and English versions do not work yet, but there is his mail and phone. If anybody wants a detail map how to get there, I have one from google earth, I made for my friends when we went there last year. Just let me know

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Hi Borec,
As most posts say your pic are very good, i love the one in the trees with the sun light filtering though the palm trees.

Sorry where is Mitches ?????????

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Hi Borec,
As most posts say your pic are very good, i love the one in the trees with the sun light filtering though the palm trees.

Sorry where is Mitches ?????????

I think he meant Miches ;) (It's on the northern part of the east coast nearing the samana bay)

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
I think he meant Miches ;) (It's on the northern part of the east coast nearing the samana bay)

Ya, sorry that is what I ment, the hotel is actually near a small town called El Cedro, some 40 minutes drive east from Miches, and then another 10 minutes along a dirt road towards the sea.

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
Unfortunately not

Unfortunately the paradise is not going to stay there much longer, another 2-5 years I guess, it seems there are big developments plans in motion, one of the lovely beaches Esmeralda has been closed already to public (unless you have a boat), just as well I went there last year. Laguna Redonda is going to be turned into a huge marina. Too bad this used to be all scientific area, it was all scam from the beginning.
Anyway here is a map, Playa Limon is in the vicinity where it says Cabo San Rafae

DR.jpg
l

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
You need a car to get there, 4x4 if you want to drive along the beaches, but normal car is enough if you just want to get to the beach. As this is not developed you will need all the other stuff too (seats, table, cooler with drinks - you can get ice in most of the villages along the road - shade is provided by the palms), unless you are happy just with a towel.

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
Sorry, forgot to tell you how to get there, from Santo Domingo, you drive along the road to San Pedro de Macoris (very good road), there you turn to north to Hato Mayor (pot holes), there east to El Seibo (good road), there north to Miches (some stretches of gravel road, and pot holes), there east along the coast untill you arrive to El Cedro (pot holes), some 200 meteres after El Cedros broken bridge you turn north on dirt road adn drive about 4 km. In total about 4-4.5 hours from SD

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
Oh and I guess you might get there by bus too (local) by doing some bus hoping, getting eventually to El cedro and from there you will need to get a motorbike taxi.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Oh... I was hoping that it was a bit easier.... a Caribe Tour Bus to.... and then a Taxi/Guagua to.....

I would be going it alone....

I'll have to put it off for a little bit and research it a little more...

Thanks..... It looks beautiful. I really want to go..

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Yes. I'd also like to know about the enhancements on your images. Is this all the result of special effects on digital or is there some other secret?

BTW: SssHHHH! Let's all keep really quiet about this and maybe it (the whole area) won't be entirely developed beyond all recognition within the next five or so years.

I imagine that Punta Cana would also be a good airport to fly in to -- and for some of us a lot cheaper than Santo Domingo.