Post Thanks / Like

And now back to the original topic:

The DR economy!
    One Dominican at a time please!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PICHARDO View Post
    Smart guns:

The DR gov has already signed a deal with a smart gun maker to produce a DR exclusive model. The gun will be in two calibers only. The price will be around US$3,500 per gun issued. The buyers will not own the gun outright, but a renewable contract. Which will be on a year to year renewal only term. Also which will require a gun holder/carrier insurance. Just having the gun itself won't be enough, as having a policy that will cover any claims for loses or damage cause for its improper or criminal use will be mandatory. The guns will incorporate a growing tracking device which activates once the gun is fired and will keep going with a heart beat signal until its next inspection by the Police. This will enable instant live reporting of a discharged firearm and its location as well.

We are in the process of reducing the number of regular firearms in the country, prior to the new gun Laws taking effect as well the replacement of all guns with the smart guns under licenses today. The old forearms will be auctioned and the balances applied to the new smart guns of their owners(licensed operators).

While I find this to be comical. I do have a few questions. If all the legal guns are to be smart guns, then who is the government going to auction the non-smart guns to? Criminals?

Are all of the shotguns also going to be smart guns?

Cashless society: 

Just the CB of the DR reports over RD$70 billion in daily transactions via electronic means. The rest of the banks are now at over 60% on these. The trend is increasing each quarter compared to the last.
    As the entire gov payment system moves online and via electronic means alone, this trend will continue to increase. The next phase will require all employers to move to the electronic payroll system.

It takes time but we are getting there faster than we planned.

I had thought all of the above was already done. I am referring to the local colmados and moto conchos not taking cash.

Laptops:

I know you don't follow jack s$it of anything of this, but to date, thousands of laptops have been distributed to students at the national level. You can find and count them yourself via the portal of the presidency.

You are correct, I have never heard of any child, neither Jack no Jill, in my area getting a laptop from the government.

Rainbows:

All around you'

Sugar and spices:

Hmmm... 

Going sour on us??

You can't see what you don't want to see...
    For the rest it's self evident!
    This is the land that spice forgot.

3. Likes Buzz65 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Smart guns and cashless society, laptops and rainbows, sugar and (lack of) spice. Manana. I live on the north coast, I don't expect much and I have yet to be disappointed.
    I don't expect much out of life either.I started out 70 years ago with nothing and still have most of it left.
    I always ask the motoconcho guy if he accepts debit cards yet, and remind him that Pichardo says it is coming soon, very soon.
    Der Fish

5. Likes southern, bob saunders, Russell, windeguy liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Derf! I got nuttin but respect for you. I'm 53.  I pray to god I get to 70 and got your pizzazz. I also hope when I'm 85 I know whoever is the Ariana grande of 2030.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mofongoloco View Post
    Derf! I got nuttin but respect for you. I'm 53.  I pray to god I get to 70 and got your pizzazz. I also hope when I'm 85 I know whoever is the Ariana grande of 2030.
    if you think Derfish is a great guy in the postings, you should meet him in real life. just one magnificent soul..

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am from Nova Scotia and was travelling to DR during 06 to 09.
    I understand there was a recession...but here in NS we seldom feel recessions. In fact during the ''Great Depression'' back in 1929 +++ we did quite well, and provided other provinces with food and raw materials. Oh yes! and the Moonshine to USA "Rum Runners''..... some pundits say that NS is always in a Recession so we would not notice one anyway ! Maybe that is true.
    But there were plane loads of Tourists going to DR and Cuba every week...... and has been since I have ben visiting in 2006,

I think in the Luperon area we were hardest hit when the Luperon Beach Resort went bust... about 500 direct jobs lost and at least 2500 people affected directly. Revive that facility and we could recover quite nicely.

Russell

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Derfish , I can relate to that. Only with another 5 years on that.... I found my paradise in DR. I love it here, yup! There are improvements needed.... all in time.
    I may not be rich with cash but I am wealthy with good friends in the DR. My esposa's grandfather hits 103 in December,,, should he make it.... he could tell us all about the DR economics. Never changed in 102 years for him. He still has basically the same he had when he came into the world; and I am sure a drop in tourism will not affect him one bit.
    But that is micro-economics , what we need is a boost in the Marco-Economic state of the nation....
    That takes dreamers, visionaries and financing...we already have a good Educational base for Tourism here in DR.... time to dream a little and move ahead. In the meantime I plan to enjoy what is left of my time on Mother Earth by veging away here in my found paradise.
    Russell

10. Likes Buzz65 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Here is some impact on the DR

Corruption Cases: (Never A Dull Moment Here in the DR!)
    An article in El Dia highlights that while the Odebrecht case is the most famous one, the Dominican justice is hearing eight high profile corruption cases. These cases are at different phases. Involved are former mayors, prosecutors, military and government officers of all ranks. The cases were submitted by the Specialized Prosecutors Office for Administrative Corruption (Pepca).These are:
    The Tucano aircraft case where Embraer admitted to bribes for US$3.5 million. This case is still in investigation, with four accused.
    The National Aqueduct and Sewage Institute (Inapa) where two are accused of fraud for RD$190 million, among other crimes. This case is being heard.
    The case against former San Cristóbal mayor Raúl Mendesí for fraud and misappropriation of RD$300 million from city funds. This case is being heard.
    Los Tres Brazos case for the irregular sale of government land, with one person under investigation.
    The State Sugar Council case where it is known government land was irregularly transacted. This case is under investigation.
    The OISOE school construction corruption case, where four were sentenced to five and six years in jail. The case now moves to the appeals court.
    The cases of judges accused of corruption in office, with two under arrest as the case is being heard.
    The cases of bribes for US$250,000 delivered to a fiscal suspect of favoring an accused in the Banco Peravia case. This case is being heard.

12. Likes bachata liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Corruption Cases: (Never A Dull Moment Here in the DR!)
    An article in El Dia highlights that while the Odebrecht case is the most famous one, the Dominican justice is hearing eight high profile corruption cases. These cases are at different phases. Involved are former mayors, prosecutors, military and government officers of all ranks. The cases were submitted by the Specialized Prosecutors Office for Administrative Corruption (Pepca).These are:
    The Tucano aircraft case where Embraer admitted to bribes for US$3.5 million. This case is still in investigation, with four accused.
    The National Aqueduct and Sewage Institute (Inapa) where two are accused of fraud for RD$190 million, among other crimes. This case is being heard.
    The case against former San Cristóbal mayor Raúl Mendesí for fraud and misappropriation of RD$300 million from city funds. This case is being heard.
    Los Tres Brazos case for the irregular sale of government land, with one person under investigation.
    The State Sugar Council case where it is known government land was irregularly transacted. This case is under investigation.
    The OISOE school construction corruption case, where four were sentenced to five and six years in jail. The case now moves to the appeals court.
    The cases of judges accused of corruption in office, with two under arrest as the case is being heard.
    The cases of bribes for US$250,000 delivered to a fiscal suspect of favoring an accused in the Banco Peravia case. This case is being heard.

You're correct on impact!

The impact is that such undergoings would had been unthinkable years past.
     We are witnessing a change from the population all the way to the judicial in terms of dealing with corruption in the DR. It's slow but moving along.

In terms of competitive in fair terms:

Dominican Republic anti-fake app taps citizen power

The Ministry of Health and Social Assistance in the Dominican Republic has developed a smartphone app that can be used by the public to report suspect drugs, foods and other products.

The DigemApps app – which will be made available via the Google Play store – will allow consumers to anonymously report products that they believe may be counterfeit, fraudulent or not meeting health and quality standards directly to the authorities. They will also be able to upload pictures of the suspect goods and each report will be tagged with GPS coordinates.

The report will be forwarded to the Directorate General for Medicines, Food and Health Products which will carry out an inspection of the retail establishment and – if warranted - impose penalties.

Health minister Altagracia Guzmán Marcelino (pictured) said that if used to its full potential the app could create a citizen army that would have a dramatic impact on the circulation of illict and substandard good in the country.

The app is just one part of the Dominican Republic's Digital Republic initiative, a set of policies and actions introduced last year to promote the use of information and communication technologies in services provided by government services to Dominican citizens.

https://www.securingindustry.com/pha...wer/s40/a5166/

You'll see more stuff like this in the DR, where citizens will be the cops and the gov the enforcer.

It takes time, but little by little change is happening one step at a time.

We are soon to have our very own Amazon/Alibaba-like online market. With a new credit company unlike Visa/MC/Amex/etc... Just like Russia did. All nationally owned and operated.

We have yet to finalize the General Amnesty as planned, in order to roll out the new system. The database is ready, the Haitian gov has been given a direct notice to act or face the consequences of their inactions.

Keep in mind this national biometric database is the key to the overall new system.

Citizens will all be able to conduct transactions using their bank cards, prepaid cards or even their Cedula alone, linked to their unique account. 

In the next decade, the DR will evolve rapidly from an oil import economy to a nationally sourced energy matrix.

Expect to see a ban on non Electric or hybrid vehicle imports for the DR. 

Let us finish the work on immigration and you'll see quick results on the wages and labor force in the DR.
    One Dominican at a time please!

I love Hillary!
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow this is great news, that means 30 dollar an hour union jobs should start next month. The trade unions must be in heaven here.