Out of 192 identifiable beaches in the Dominican Republic, 70% are private.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Apparently all beaches are public

http://www.dr1.com/forums/248704-post19.html

“Art. 49.- It will be subject to maritime navigation, as well as to any other public use established by Executive regulation, the strip of land called the “Maritime Zone,” meaning that which is parallel to the sea, 60 meters wide, measured from the line reached by the normal high tide inland, and comprising, except for those property rights in existence, all the Dominican coast and beaches. Said zone comprises rivers and currents, navigable lagoons and lakes up to the line where they are affected by the tides. The maritime zone is part of the public domain, as well as the zone of the tides, that is, the portion of land found between the high water and low water marks.”

A

apostropheman

technically they are all supposed to be public.
that does not mean that the hotels won't try and stop people, especially who appear not to be tourists, from entering or forcing people to pay for access. also in a recent thread it was pointed out to me that the hotels do not have to give access thru their property.

i've entered beaches at all-inclusives, walking along the water, without any major incident although occasionally the guards, sometimes armed, have tried to stop me....unsuccessfully. i can only imagine that many of the locals might be intimidated, as portrayed in the video clip.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This has been a problem ever since resorts began to appear on the Dominican shoreline. The same problem has been occurring in San Juan, Puerto Rico. If Puerto Rican authorities, despite having better funding and overall being more efficient, are not able to enforce the laws on those hotels, much less will Dominican authorities.

-NALs

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
As I understand it all rivers are public too even if they run through land which you own (on both sides).

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Forget the Law

The laws of this country are good (and remind me of democracy).
Quite interesting to read, too.
Then, just forget them... :tired:

Janin

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Clearly the law states otherwise, but what is legal and what actually happens are two different matters.
As well, despite not being supportive of the AI resorts who block access to a given beach, I do understand why they would do it, for security reasons.
It's one of those debates like abortion, where there will always be two distinct opposing views.
What I don't get is the title of this thread.
Out of 192 identifiable beaches in the Dominican Republic, 70% are private.
70% ??????
First of all, none of them are private, but if the insinuation is that 70% of them deny access, then that's got to be BS.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The plus side is that at least the AI look after the beaches.

Many beaches I see that are frequented by lots of Dominicans are usually trashed.
Waste, pampers, cartons, bottles etc etc etc. Sad as it sounds, it's true.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Seems all beaches should be public, which it seems they are, unless, you let an armed guard convince you otherwise? I can deal with that. I also understand owners of private property on the beach refusing access through their front yard. Is there something wrong with that?

Sollie

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The plus side is that at least the AI look after the beaches.

Many beaches I see that are frequented by lots of Dominicans are usually trashed.
Waste, pampers, cartons, bottles etc etc etc. Sad as it sounds, it's true.
That may be one of the reasons why the resorts protect their stretch of beach.

-NALs

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
That may be one of the reasons why the resorts protect their stretch of beach.

-NALs
QUOTE Janin

IMHO, wherever there's clean water, Dominicans tend to polute it (washing lorries, motorcycles, waste disposal, etc.).

6k8gqva.jpg