Driving Directions from Las Americas Airport to the Wyndham Dominicus Beach

reraises99

Jan 18, 2008
hey all i need some help. i'm flying to SDQ and am renting a car from there ( both VERY cheap from my company). i'm staying at the Wyndham Dominicus Beach -Bayahibe La Romana, Dominican Republic. Please advice on
1) driving directions
2) what to look out for
3) how long the trip should take
4) what time of day i should travel

thx.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
hey all i need some help. i'm flying to SDQ and am renting a car from there ( both VERY cheap from my company). i'm staying at the Wyndham Dominicus Beach -Bayahibe La Romana, Dominican Republic. Please advice on
1) driving directions-Turn east as you leave the airport, following signs to La Romana. In La Romana, follow signs to Higuey. There is a major intersection about 15 minutes (+/-) out of La Romana. Go right. The signs indicate Bayahibe.
2) what to look out for: All other drivers!!! No sh*t!! The turn in La Romana is at the first light. You go right. Pretty well marked.
3) how long the trip should take::::>About two hours is a rough guess.
4) what time of day i should travel::::>Daytime is really necessary.

thx.

And like many here I would suggest taking a taxi and paying the fee to get there. There are services that people here can recommend that will take you to the hotel no sweat and no hassle. Driving is not for newbies or the timid!!Not in this country,..

HB

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
HB is right take a taxi, but here's my answers to your questions.

1) Exit the airport turn left at the highway and keep going. Bypass Juan Dolio and San Pedro turn left on the highway again when you have crossed the road going from San Pedro to Hato Mayor. Unfortunately you can't bypass La Romana but have to deal with that, continue till the turnoff with the signboard to Bayahibe, can't miss that.
2) Watch out for cars, motorbikes, horses, cows, goats, guaguas on both sides attempting to overtake, overloaded trucks almost flipping over and will make a pancake of your rental car if the load hit you, potholes, three line roads that all of a sudden becomes one line roads all vehicles have to squeeze into the same line.
3) Two hours if you know the road.
4) Daylight, I usually take off six less maniacs on the road early morning.

I saw two cars off the road yesterday between San Pedro and Boca Chica plus one complete wreck on a truck on the way to Santo Domingo after a 15 min rainshower. Good luck.

reraises99

Jan 18, 2008
thanks guys... i'm trinidadian (farthest south of the caribbean) and driving conditions are no different so hopefully i'll be ok... thanks again for your warnings.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
You're probably OK then driving conditions comparable, pretty crazy some of the stretches between Port of Spain and Galeota Point if I remember correct, and I believe it's on the "wrong" side of the road. Be lucky have fun.