Best way from SDQ to Samana??

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I just discovered this fantastic forum--Thanks for the great info!

My hubby and I are coming to DR in a few weeks to vacation AND possibly purchase property/small house/condo in Samana (!??)

We arrive SDQ at 3 pm and if we get a rental car, can we make it to Samana before dark? Is part of the new highway open yet?

Or can we get a bus and then rent a car when we get to Samana?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Susan

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks for your response, Janin
Guess we'll overnight and catch a morning bus-
Susan

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Thank you, Geedee! This is exactly what we need--
We arrive at 3:09, so we SHOULD be able to take 5:00 flt to El Patillo- right?
I love this forum!!

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I love this forum!!
take the late flight to El Catey,not El Portillo....El Catey is just outside Samana,while El Portillo is about an hour away...
bob

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I thought El Catey was farther away from Samana City than El Portillo; nearer to Nagua. Portillo is between Las Terranas and Limon on the road to Samana. But I could be wrong.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I thought El Catey was farther away from Samana City than El Portillo; nearer to Nagua. Portillo is between Las Terranas and Limon on the road to Samana. But I could be wrong.

you are correct,I meant Arroyo Barril International Airport is in Samana
bob

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Hardly Used

...Arroyo Barril International Airport is in Samana
I don't think that MDAB is an international airport...
As far as I know no scheduled flights go there.

One could call it a politically motivated airport... ;)

Janin

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
check flights

I love this forum!!

IF you fly, get a recommendation from someone first. It can be dicey. You must have a strong stomach. Make sure you will be landing in daylight. Ask for feedback from someone who has done it recently.

I got in at 3:30 once and went to the smaller airport to catch a flight over towards Samana city. JA. I waited ...until 5:00 ....for them "to find another passenger or two", tho by then it was getting dark and they canceled the flight!

So, I took a taxi (that they called for me) all the way to Samana, at night. The gods were with me as the taxista was/is the tour bus driver for a famous band that drives all over there; he knew the roads and where to not stop!

I was lucky; don't try that on your own!

Keep us posted on how it goes for you!--sam

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Flying to Saman?

... went to the smaller airport to catch a flight over towards Samana city.
"Takeoff" flies out of SDQ to El Portillo on daily scheduled flights directly, no transfer to a smaller airfield necessary.
Arrival in EPS is before nightfall as the airfield is not equipped for night flights anyway.
Flights to "Saman? City" (Arroyo Barril) would be individual charter flights and somewhat expensive.

Janin

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Well.... 2 round-trip flights (SDQ to EPS) will cost $320 total- But I think the convenience and travel time savings will be worth it--
If we took the bus, we'd have to stay over night in SD and we want to get to Samana!!
Thank you all-
Susan

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
What is the RUSH?

You know that when you arrive into Portillo at dusk, you will have to be transported to Samana (20-25 min ride). You will most probably not see anything along this beautiful route as it will be dark. If you plan to stay in Las Galeras that same evening, it will be another 30 min. ride from Samana. Again not seeing any of the beautiful views. Transports after dark to Las Galeras from Samana are almost impossible to find and vey expensive. Good luck. :bunny:

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
What's the rush? Well, we have exactly 6 days in the DR because my loving husband HAS to be home for an "important" basketball game!!
So, we need to focus on the destination instead of the journey this trip- We plan to stay in Las Terrenas, once I decide where--
But I hear and appreciate your counsel-
Susan

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I'm betting he changes his mind once he gets to Las Terranas! They have television reception in most of the hotels that line that pristine beach. You will truly regret not taking more time to enjoy it.