Getting from Jarabacoa to La Cascada without a car

AySquare

Jan 12, 2008
Im hoping that I can make a day trip to La Cascada from Jarabacoa.
From what I've been able to piece - this is probably a 2-3 hour trip one way which im willing to deal with.

Im looking for information on whether this is possible via any combination of Caribe tours/Metro bus/Motoconcho/Javilla tours etc.

The worst case scenario is to do this by cab roundtrip but I would also be interested in whether this is more feasible by one of the tours/buses etc while going and cab the coming back (or vice versa).

Any specifics on costs/total trip times/connection times etc would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for reading and for your help.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Are you referring to Cascada del Limon in Samana? You are talking more of a 3-4 hour trip because you need to get to San Francisco de Macoris and from there to Samana and from there to El Limon. I would do it in two parts.

If you want to visit the Cascada del Limon, I would not recommend traveling there from Jarabacoa. It is too stressful to try to get there and back. If you cannot overnight in Samana, forget it.

Note that you would get there around noon and then it is about a three hour trek, at least, and then you would have to head back which would get you back to Jarabacoa in the evening, totally exhausted. El Limon is lovely, but all that traveling is just too much.

Closer options are Damajagua Falls in Imbert. If you leave at 7am from Jarabacoa, you can make it there by around 9am, and take the hike up the 27 falls (do not take the excursion where they pull you up 7 falls), and have time to be back by nightfall in Jarabacoa before nightfall.

AySquare

Jan 12, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I did indeed mean the Damajagua Falls in Imbert (Sending you to the 27 Charcos!!!). I should have clarified this.
So yes, any information about getting to these falls would be great.

Also, could you expand on your statement about "do not take the excursion where they pull you up 7 falls" ?
From what ive been reading on the website above, it seems you can just land up and the local guide will take you to all 27...

Thanks a lot.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There are two options at Damajagua. The one where they pull you up 7 falls is the shorter way to go. The guide actually pulls you up the falls, and then you jump, slide and swim down.

The better option is the hike on foot by the trail up to the 27th and then you jump, slide and swim down. This is slightly more costly, and takes twice the time, but makes it a much more worthwhile experience.

Take the climb to the 27th hole -- RD$460.

AySquare

Jan 12, 2008
Indeed - the hike up to the 27th does sound more worthwhile and this was the one i was planning on doing...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
To do all 27, you need to be in decent physical shape.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I have to say that traveling over 2 hours from Jarabacoa for waterfalls seems a bit strange, since Jarabacoa and the surrounding area are famous for their cascades/saltos. Kind of like "coals to Newcastle" in reverse.

There is no excursion which would directly correspond to the Damajagua experience, but there are outfits that will take you "cascading" or "canyoning" in the tributaries of the Rio Yaque Norte, and while you are there you should definately look into the Jiminoa and Baguate falls.

amcm

Feb 2, 2010
27 Charcos

How long does it take to get from Puerto Plata to 27 Charcos? and what's the best/safest way to get there?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Expect about 20 minutes after you leave Puerto Plata city. You need to cross the tunnel at Altamira and the town of Imbert. Once you pass Imbert go looking for the sign of Saltos de Damajagua that is to the east side of the road. After that crossing, figure another 5 minutes of inland travel on a bumpy road.