Playa Dorada

Status
Not open for further replies.

trishdeyar

Oct 16, 2002
www.hiddenhilltop.com
Hi there,

Been a loooong time since I have posted here. We are heading to Viva Wyndham Playa Dorada on Saturday with a group of 20 and have a few questions.

1. Does that beach have water sports? specifically parasailing? If not, where can we go?
2. There is a trip to a city, what's it like? Does it tell a lot of the history of the country and show a lot of the city etc? Is it recommended?
3. The Cafe Cito tour...impressions? opinions? I'm thinking my hubby and I might do that the second we as we will be on our own that week and it would be a good time to see Sousa & Cabarete. Can we travel back on our own or is that recommended.

Thanks!

Looking forward to getting there on Saturday. This morning it was -23C here and +23 there....~sigh~

Trish

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Cafecito is closed at the moment. It's possible that Tim will be open again by Saturday but I'm not sure about the tour. Call at (809) 586-7923. :cool:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nice to see you here again, Trish - can't help with the questions but hope you have a wonderful time in the DR.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Hi there,

Been a loooong time since I have posted here. We are heading to Viva Wyndham Playa Dorada on Saturday with a group of 20 and have a few questions.

1. Does that beach have water sports? specifically parasailing? If not, where can we go?
2. There is a trip to a city, what's it like? Does it tell a lot of the history of the country and show a lot of the city etc? Is it recommended?
3. The Cafe Cito tour...impressions? opinions? I'm thinking my hubby and I might do that the second we as we will be on our own that week and it would be a good time to see Sousa & Cabarete. Can we travel back on our own or is that recommended.

Thanks!

Looking forward to getting there on Saturday. This morning it was -23C here and +23 there....~sigh~

Trish
I was at the Playa Dorada - Viva Wyndham in December.
Although they have some equipment at the beach, boards on racks, I honestly don't know if they're for parasailing. I don't think so. I think Cabarete has more wind for that sort of sport.

Regarding tours, if you walk over to the Playa Dorada Plaza - 1 block to the left when you exit the Wyndham - you can talk to Miguel at Marysol Tours. Walk into the plaza and on the right there's a small booth. (Tour include: Catamarans, Sosua, Cabarete, Santo Domingo, Santiago, Brughal Rum factory and Puerta Plata nightlife). He'll help you up at a lower price than the hotel. With 20 people, I'm sure they will take care of you. Very nice people. By they way, Marysol Tours will also let you use their computers to access the internet - free of charge. Tell him Margaret from Toronto sent you!

Have a great time and be sure to go dancing at Terrazo Caribe.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Good advice Margaret - Miguel will take good care of them.

Cabarete is the place to do parasailing! If they offer it on the beach at the hotel it will be less then good.

For a night tour to local clubs - there are other options now. One tour goes into Puerto Plata to local clubs. Ask Miguel about it. Also there is the new Dominican Males review. It is only for the women - men won't want to be there....LOL

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Also there is the new Dominican Males review. It is only for the women - men won't want to be there....LOL
Are they like Dominican Chipendales... six packs, little bow ties, tight pants... not that I ever saw any in my life... I swear. :paranoid::paranoid: cross my heart! :ermm:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Very similar honey!!!! I have seen the practices - looks good to me..... The producers do Chipendale shows in Canada. The plan is to have the shows Monday thru Wednesday here in front of Playa Dorada and later in February do 1 or 2 nights a week in Punta Cana.....

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Cafecito is closed at the moment. It's possible that Tim will be open again by Saturday but I'm not sure about the tour. Call at (809) 586-7923. :cool:

Update: Tim is back and Cafecito is open again. Call the above number to find out about the tour.

Margaret and Planners advice about the excursion companies at Playa Dorada is spot on. I would suggest you go to more than one booth though, as their prices are competitive with each other. All of them will save you a bundle as opposed to booking at your resort. :bunny:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
We recommended Miguel because of experience with him and his company. If there are ever problems he stands behind what he sells!

And you are correct - they are all price competitive.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Was there just there on a catamaran and saw people parasailing from the boat in the playa dorada bay.

trishdeyar

Oct 16, 2002
www.hiddenhilltop.com
Thanks so much guys for all the input. We are on the final countdown - leave here at 3 am to catch a 6 am plane. The rest of the crew have already left as they are staying at the airport hotel tonight.

We'll be sure to check out Miguels.

Take care!

Trish

betzi

Feb 9, 2008
Resort map Viva Wyndham Playa Dorada?

Hello everybody,

:disappoinI am looking everywhere for a resort map or some kind of overview about this resort. Going there soon and really looking forward :cheeky:

Hope now someone here might help me.

Please !!! help me if you can.

sun chilled

Feb 11, 2008
Hello everybody,

:disappoinI am looking everywhere for a resort map or some kind of overview about this resort. Going there soon and really looking forward :cheeky:

Hope now someone here might help me.

Please !!! help me if you can.

Try out this link.
Some good info here including a floor plan of the plaza. Not sure how much up to date it is.

Playa Dorada Vacation Complex - Dominican Republic

Hope this helps.

trishdeyar

Oct 16, 2002
www.hiddenhilltop.com
Betzi

We just got back from two weeks and never did get a resort map of Viva Wyndham - I don't even know if they have one. It's quite small and you find your way around very very quickly. If you have any specific questions ask away and I can at least share my experience.

betzi

Feb 9, 2008
Thanks for your replies!

@sun chilled: Unfortunately they just have some single photos of the hotels.
Of course the other maps are great but as I've alreday been to the Playa Dorada Complex it is not the information I was looking for :(

@trishdeyar: sounds good! I hope you had a great time and enjoyed your holidays.
I am really looking forward to mine - and barely can't wait.
My main interest lies in the order of the rooms. I've booked a standard room and on one page I read these rooms are always on the 1st floor, another one said they are all in one special building... and by the few photos I've seen I actually cannot really imagine anything. :confused:

Well, of course this is not a life-saving question. I am just one of this "bad tourists" who always has special wishes at the check in - but just if it makes sense and is possible ;)

Greets, Betzi

sun chilled

Feb 11, 2008
My family are coming over to Playa Dorada towards the end of June and early July and staying in an AI. Us gents are considering a water hole (caf? /bar) while our ladies go round the plaza shopping. Our ages go from a Grandad to dads and grandson.

We have seen from the Plaza complex that there are a few places we could consider (Mango?s bar, Hemingway?s, plaza pub and cheers bar).

Can someone please recommend a good watering hole and likely cost of a beer and soft drinks. We are also wondering if the football tournament in Europe at this time would be shown anywhere? If so where?:)

trishdeyar

Oct 16, 2002
www.hiddenhilltop.com
Betzi

Betzi

The standard rooms, I believe, were mostly in the 2000 building - on first, second & third floor. They are basically a motel room - bed, bathroom and that's it - no fridge, no balconey. Great if you plan on sleeping in your room and that's it. One thing to note is there were rooms that had adjoining doors - lock on one side only!!! Our friends were able to open door and walk in to room next to them....I'd be sliding the t.v. down in front of door! lol

Trish

sporty

Apr 15, 2007
Response to questions regarding playa dorada complex

My husband and I have been there 4 times and have always enjoyed it very much.
The only complaint I heard about Viva Wyndham is that they serve a lot of fish and pasta. I love both so it doesn't bother me.
Caribbean village has a great staff and great food.
We plan to return next year
Sporty

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Check out Phils bar in Playa Dorada, beer and mixed drinks are reasonably priced, and there is usually a football game on the TV.

sun chilled

Feb 11, 2008
Check out Phils bar in Playa Dorada, beer and mixed drinks are reasonably priced, and there is usually a football game on the TV.

Thank you very much Planner.

We will be staying at HVGB and I know my way to the Plaza having walked there from the Marien Coral (via the beach), when we stayed there two years ago.

Is Phils bar at the Plaza?
If not is it near by?

PS I have always found your posts very informative on other threads.
Thanks for taking the time.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.