Seek Good Restaurants in Cabarete & Santiago

vel4769

Apr 12, 2006
Ok I know you've guys have heard this question numerous times but I've searched the posts and many are old, outdated, or the majority of your posts couldn't agree on a specific spot. I would prefer clear answers if possible. I'll be traveling to DR January 31 through february 8. I'll be in cabarete for 4 days and 4 days in Santiago. My wife is Puerto Rican so some good traditional Dominican restaurants would come in handy. Italian, chinese, etc are all welcome. As long as the service and food is decent I'm willing to pay for it.

So please supply the info. Oh by the way I'll travel by rental car so if the restaurant is couple of miles away I'll travel. Thank you all.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
... or the majority of your posts couldn't agree on a specific spot. I would prefer clear answers if possible....

I usually respond to requests & update my opinions on what I think are the best restaurant options in Cabarete, but not this time. Apparently the way I and others have responded in the past didn't suit you as we didn't all agree or indicate our preferences in a clear, concise manner that was up to your standards.

vel4769 said:
...so, please supply the info

Now that you have set the rules for how people should reply, perhaps other DR1 members will confer by phone & e-mail, decide on the definitive answer, & make a single post that supplies what you seek.

Good luck with your quest and don't worry, it's safe to drink the water.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Ok I know you've guys have heard this question numerous times but I've searched the posts and many are old, outdated, or the majority of your posts couldn't agree on a specific spot. I would prefer clear answers if possible. I'll be traveling to DR January 31 through february 8. I'll be in cabarete for 4 days and 4 days in Santiago. My wife is Puerto Rican so some good traditional Dominican restaurants would come in handy. Italian, chinese, etc are all welcome. As long as the service and food is decent I'm willing to pay for it.

So please supply the info. Oh by the way I'll travel by rental car so if the restaurant is couple of miles away I'll travel. Thank you all.

See this more or less recent thread about restaurants in Santiago.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/best-dr/44704-nice-restaurants-santiago.html

vel4769

Apr 12, 2006
Sorry If I sounded arrogant. I'm only seeking information. I'm not here to upset anyone or set any new standards for posts. But also be fair here. I've searched the posts and many were outdated. The ones that were recent were a bit vague. I wasn't demanding the information just asking for a bit more. God forbid someone asks for a bit more details. No one should take this personal. If they want they can contribute and if they don't I'll understand. I really do appreciate this forum and everyone that contributes to it. Thank you all.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Sorry If I sounded arrogant. I'm only seeking information. I'm not here to upset anyone or set any new standards for posts. But also be fair here. I've searched the posts and many were outdated. The ones that were recent were a bit vague. I wasn't demanding the information just asking for a bit more. God forbid someone asks for a bit more details.

Listen vel ... often times we sound 'a bit vague'. Now for Cabarete. Go down to the beachfront in the evening. Find the longest lines for a restaurant. That is the restaurant that has the best food or did the best promotion that evening. Enjoy ...

Or figure out if Papis is open and have a good time nevertheless. A bit vague is the right thing. It is an island .. there is some mystique .. leave a little time open for the unexpected.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
New for Santiago: ZOL on Calle 11, just off Metropolitana in Los jardines metropolitanos.
It is a very good place to eat lunch or dinner. Prices are quite reasonable and food is very good.
I have not read this entire thread, but the previous thread mentioned the PEZ DORADO, Santiago's premier restaurant. On Sol St, near La Altagracia church...

HB

vel4769

Apr 12, 2006
There is a wealth of information on this site. I will adhere to your advice Chris and Hillbilly. Thank you all for your help.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I'm in the process of putting together a page of reviews from all the bars & restaurants on Cabarete beach. A work in progress which will hopefully be more complete next week, when I'm back in the rain and cold.

www.cabarete.org/ then follow the cunningly named "About the Restaurants".

Strangely Chris, the best restaurant on Cabarete beach IMHO was the one with no queue at all. Miro's was fantastic (Thai & Sushi, I had Thai), yet I was the only customer in there that night while other places were full... No accounting for taste... or lack of!

Of the places not yet written up, a couple more that will feature well:

I ate in La Calamar en Folie tonight. Excellent. First time there, won't be the last.

Cassa Del Pescador, plastic chairs look naff but the food is very good. I usually have the surf and turf. Choose your own lobster from the tank although I prefer to meet my food only after it is dead.

But if you like Thai, Miro's is the best restaurant on the beach.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Papis La Casita has the best shrimp and longostinos in the whole country hands down. Order the camarones a la Papi. If he has longostinos go with that instead of the shrimp. Make sure you order the pasta as your side dish.

A new, not well known Italian place in Santiago is actually an Italian Deli across from La Sirena, next to Radio Shack. They are now serving Pasta and Italilan sandwiches from 9AM to 6PM. This is the real thing, the chef is the owner of the Deli. He hails from Milano. Best Pasta in town, at about 200rd, all tax and tip included.

HB, give this place a shot. Just a light bit cheaper than Carlos place. LOL.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Passed by there the other day. They are sort of "tucked away" but they do have everything you need for making anything Italian...I will have to check the food...
Thanks for the tip...

HB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Passed by there the other day. They are sort of "tucked away" but they do have everything you need for making anything Italian...I will have to check the food...
Thanks for the tip...

HB

Another plus about this place is they sell very nice Italian wines, which you can buy and drink during your meal. Nice selection at various prices.