Thieves when departing Santo Domingo

oceanbound

On Vacation!
May 31, 2007
After my carry on went thru the security check, the thieves, aka, domincian security personel, decided to steal many things from my luggage, including, some expensive unopened candy I was taking back to New York for gifts. They must hv been hungry and my candy was desirable.

"It is not allowed" was the excuse they gave regarding my personal property and many other travellers who were also being stolen from. They refused to give any other details on why.

When I demanded to see a supervisor, they refused. I was between a rock and a hard place as I did not want to be classified as a security flight risk so I finally just zipped up my bag and left, as did ALL other travellers. How advisable is it to stand there and demand your rights when u hv a flight to catch and you can easily be classified as a security risk?

Do not carry-on anything expect clothes. They might want to steal ur stuff "legally."

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I like to see them take my personal belongings from me, the things which are allowed on the plane.
AZB

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
I had some colone stolen from me too in AILA last november, but the item were in my check in luggage.

oceanbound

On Vacation!
May 31, 2007
Sorry, but this thread is not about checked luggage. It is about bold-faced theives who all work together to steal right in front of your eyes.

I would love for DR security to explain what happens to all the stuff taken from carry-on luggage. It is supposed to be destroyed? Well, I am certain it is shared between security personel, probably the supervisors getting the lion's share. This is organzied and systematic.

oceanbound

On Vacation!
May 31, 2007
They also stole several one ounce unopened bottles of shampoo and conditioner which was given to me by the hotel. They also stole a 4-pack of unopened non-lithium AA batteries.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
I have flown out of SDQ & MIA or FLL over 12 time in the past 8 months and have been carrying a book of matches in my computer bag (carry-on) all the while. No one has ever stopped me for them. I have been stopped for my watch (setting off the metal detector at SDQ), which was not a problem. Although they tried to take away a package of Wrigleys gum, but I did not give it up. I just unwrapped them all (in front of them and put the whole wad into my mouth! Dont bother fighting them, you will never win.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I don't understand, where were you when they were seaching your bag and taking items?

I can undersand that items can get taken off the trays, while you are waiting to pass thru the metal detectors. But generally when they search your bag you are standing right there in front of them.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Basically they are "confiscating" the items because they are "not allowed." However the items mentioned are permissable, so they are just using it as a front to take stuff from people. I have a problem with this, I haven't had anything taken from my carry on, as I usually don't carry any liquids. But I have had items stolen from my checked baggage, cologne, shampoo, sun screen. The total value wasn't that much, but they were gifts, and enough to bother me. Calling AA the answer was to come to the airport to get it resolved. Going to the airport takes almost an entire day, not worth it. The trouble is that you can't take many items on your carry on where they are under your vigilance, and checking them, you run a risk of having them stolen. Looks like there is someone who has a connection with a pharmacy or something.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Next time ask for their names and the number off of their ID card.

Take the details down in front of them so they are aware of what you are doing.

Then come back and post their names/ID's and details on this board and we will make the necessary people aware of the thread.

You might not get your items back, but you will have the satisfaction of knowing someone at the airport will do something in order to weed out the thieves.

They hate press, especially international press.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
It's a real shame that this happens - especially at the airport, where you will recieve your first and your last impression of the country. It may be minor items that are taken, but it still leaves a bad taste in people's mouths, and people will tend to remember the negative experiences they have more than the positive ones. I wouldn't be surprised if these things have drawn away many potential return visitors.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I think they ripped you off with the chocolate, but the liquid stuff they can confiscate if you don't have it in a clear bag and put it through the x-ray machine. They do here in The US. As for the batteries that's debatable. Most places allow them, but I've had some places try to give me a hard time about them (never confiscated though).

These goods are divided up amongst themselves, just like they do here in The US. The only difference is here they will probably throw away some stuff that they would keep in The DR (i.e. used bottle of shampoo).

I once saw a guy who bought a bottle of a Cartier cologne at the shops before you go through security in Santo Domingo. Of course they wouldn't let him take it through and he had already checked in his luggage. He was enraged. In the end he ended up giving the cologne to one of the people who check you in at the AA counter.

Next time travel lite.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Excuse me, but the Duty Free Shops are past the security check point. You can load up with all you want there. For me, this is a serious gap in true security, if you think about it...

However, we did have two large tubes of Colgate Toothpaste confiscated from a carry on in FLL......Too big...Oh well...

HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Bin Laden's kicking our azzes....

It's my understanding that you can't bring food or beverage onto the plane, unless purchased in the duty free area.
So that would cover the chocolates.
I understand there is a ban on batteries as well, which explains the confiscation of the 4 AAs.
As for the shampoo, I do believe they have some ban on liquid cosmetics too.
I was not permitted my shampoo and toothpaste either, the last time I flew.
Personally, I would have been too ashamed to mention the bottles of shampoo and conditioner from the hotel, but that's another matter.

I'm not saying that they don't benefit from confiscations, and they may even be overly strict, but y'all should be blaming Bin Laden and the US for over reacting with their terror campaign.
Flying used to be fun, but it ain't no more.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
It's my understanding that you can't bring food or beverage onto the plane, unless purchased in the duty free area.
So that would cover the chocolates.

Beverages are a problem, but food is allowed. I had some non-liquid food in my carry-on Tuesday when I traveled to the DR and US airport security did not say a word.

However, on a flight from LA last summer, they did confiscate some peanut butter because it is a "cream" according to the security agent.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
On my last trip from New York to Santiago, security personnel a Delta - JFK - 'stole' from me 2 big bottles of Wishbone salad dressing. They told me it was not allowed on
the plane. So I gave them up. Don't point the finger at Dominicans for doing what the
big boy (USA) tells them what to allow or not.

Don't cry over spilled milk. It's for your own safety. Come back soon, 'ya hear.

Zeus (dominicano hasta la tambora)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
not trying to sound unforgiving but this is what happens when you don't know your rights. i would have never allowed them to take my items and i would have gotten out of line and refused to board until i saw a supervisor.

sorry....

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
besides food, beverages or liquids...has anyone ever had problems with small electronics being "legally confiscated?" im thinking more like small cameras or ipods. i know that people wouldnt just roll over and accept something like that if that were to happen but i was just curious if its happened to anyone out there.

Feb 15, 2005
My buddy had batteries taken right from a radio. So that's should be placed in the checked bag. No liquids what-so-ever should be taken on board. Shampoo, conditioner,colognes etc. This is all too very well known. Whether here in the US or abroad.