Car Rental POP Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackspratt

Nov 28, 2006
Next month I am arriving in the DR and plan on renting a car at the airport from National Car rental. I have been to Sosoa many times so do have a feel for the area and the driving conditions (or lack of) and intend doing some touring.

Does anyone have some insights regarding pitfalls, scams, things I should be watching for, eg. Do you get change at the gas pumps? They don't give it anywhere else.

Any help will be appreciated.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I have no idea what you mean when you say they don't give change anywhere else. Most businesses in the DR can and will give change back for your purchase, although a small Dominican business may have a problem if you want to make a 20 peso purchase and hand them a 1000 peso note. Gas stations will always have change.

The main thing you need to watch for in buying gas is to be sure the pump is zeroed out before they pump your gas. Some attendants will try to leave the amount from the previous customer (already paid) on the pump and then collect it from you too and put it in their pocket.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
And it wouldn't hurt to take out your digicam and take several pix of the outside of the vehicle, just in case you get blamed for someone else's scratches or dents, when you return it.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I too don't understand the change thing, unless you are asking if you pay in dollars do you get dollars in change. You may, but most likely you will get peso's. Living here I too heard you should watch the pump and make sure they zero it out. Some folks have even suggested getting out of your car and watch carefully has the gas is being pumped. I have not had any issues at gas stations. They are some times very slow in getting you your cahnge as though they might be thinking you will drive off if they give you SOME change back and maybe not all of it. Simply know what to expect when you get your change and you will be fine. Use peso's in the DR, you get a better bang for your peso then you would for USD.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
And if you're in Sosua and figure out the new street stripes, please tell us. It's so confusing now I may just park on the highway and walk.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Love it

i love all the new stripes and one way street thangs, but does anyone see them or know where they're going? I'm wondering where all this came from. I guess any change could be good. AMET officer was a little confused tonight too. I'm just happy to see Pedro clisante a little wider. can this finally be the beginning of closing the street? I hope so, at least at night hours.

ace

Apr 11, 2004
National car rental

I have rented from National and Alamo ( same company) many times. Just make sure you buy the tire and winshield ins. It's only $3.00 per day but a must. I usally bring 2 golf shirts for the employees as good will. 1 for Christian ( large ) who will take care of you at the counter and the 2nd one for the young guy ( med ) that will get your car for you. I just had some minor problems at times with the car and they were allways ready to take care of it. They even came to my place and exchanged cars for me ( up grated) You will be fine. Also I use the car ins from my credit car co. That you must sign up for . I think it's $25.00 per rental. for 30 days. Sheck with your company ,just liability.

Have a great trip,

ace

Next month I am arriving in the DR and plan on renting a car at the airport from National Car rental. I have been to Sosoa many times so do have a feel for the area and the driving conditions (or lack of) and intend doing some touring.

Does anyone have some insights regarding pitfalls, scams, things I should be watching for, eg. Do you get change at the gas pumps? They don't give it anywhere else.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All great advice. Photos, insurance (but not for "up grated" vehicles..hehehe)...and watching the gas pump guy. It doesn't hurt to get out of the vehicle...

Other things to be careful of: (1) You are a foreigner in a foreign land, and therefore fair game for all kinds of stunts, like motorcycles that come out of nowhere....really old junkers just brushing up along side so you feel you must pay them off...sh!t like that.
(2) People. They just walk anywhere. Most will respond to the horn..but not all. Most are like cows and go where they please and when they please.
(3) Drunken drivers. The North Shore is a drunken driver's paradise, since most of the folks on the roads during weekends are at least a "little" happy...NEVER, EVER expect anyone to do the "right thing"...

While there are some of us who drive aggressively every now and then, the worst thing that can happen is an accident. You lose, no matter what...

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.