What is the name of this fish??

HurricanLorenzo

Jan 11, 2008
Hey There,

The last time I was in the DR, this place made me a fish with rice and beans. The lady called it "colorubio'?? I think thats how she pronounced it. Does anyone know if there is such a fish? And was it Red Snapper perhaps?? I would like to eat it again if they have it here at home....
thanks
HL

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Hey There,

The last time I was in the DR, this place made me a fish with rice and beans. The lady called it "colorubio'?? I think thats how she pronounced it. Does anyone know if there is such a fish? And was it Red Snapper perhaps?? I would like to eat it again if they have it here at home....
thanks
HL

Probably be "Colirubia" or Yellowtail Snapper.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
There's also a fish.............

............that almost everyone eats and is common on the North Coast that is called Cutora. Commonly served with it's head in the Puerto Plata area and the roadside fish stands in Maimon........(not sure if spelled correctly but is pronounced Ku-tor-a)........

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
cloirubia is yellotail snapper, and I believe cutora will be parrotfish, of which there are several species served whole. I prefer yellowtail.

HurricanLorenzo

Jan 11, 2008
Thanks Guys! after looking at fish pics, and from your responses...I have come to the conclusion that it indeed was Yellowtail Snapper. This was the first time that I have eaten a fish with its head on...lol...he was staring back at me saying "NOOOOOO", but I had to do it! Also, my DR trips were the first times that I had ever eaten Chicken that was killed a day or so before it was served. the stuff we get in the grocery store pales in comparison.