Surname change

Moar

Jan 28, 2008
Greetings new to the site, and I need some help:
I am married to a Dominican and I am having problems changing my surname here in Canada. According to the regulations and policies here, registries wants to make me take both my husband's names, even though I know I should only have his Father's surname and not his Mother's. The staff here takes one look at our Marriage Cert. sees both names and that's where the confusion begins. I know there must be ways to by pass this confusion but I am at a loss as to how to do it.
Any wisdom or insight would be appreciated thank you:eek:

Johana

May 24, 2006
been there

Hi there,
I was married in October and I understand what you are going through. When I went to change my driver's license they told me I had to take both last names. I said that would make us brother and sister!!!

If you are assuming your husband's name (meaning you are not legally changing your name) then you have to take both of his last names as that is his legal last name. If you want to only take his first last name then you would have to legally change your name. You will have to pay for this and if you are in Ontario they will change your birth certificate and it will take about 6-8 weeks. If at any point you want to change your name you will have to legally change it again. I decided to just take the two last names but only use one when I am signing.

Hope that helps!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you were actually going to follow the DR tradition, you wouldn't take his surname at all, so you may as well take both because replacing your maiden name with your husband's surname is the custom in your country.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
so you may as well take both because replacing your maiden name with your husband's surname is the custom in your country.

That is an old custom in Canada and no longer true.
Where I come from in Canada, I cannot take my husband's name (even if I wanted to) That's been the law for 20 years.

That's what we got for burning our bras ;)

Moar

Jan 28, 2008
thnx Johana

yes I am glad to hear of your experience. I will do the same, as it seems a little less run around. Cheers:cheeky:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Where I come from in Canada, I cannot take my husband's name (even if I wanted to) That's been the law for 20 years.

Really? You don't have the choice? I know that in the UK, for example, it is less common for women to take on their husband's surname nowadays but they have the choice (which was really what the mythical bra burning was all about). ;)

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
A legal name change is necessary to have the same name as your spouse.
But no one does it. It's a lengthy and $$$ process. Not to mention if you separate you have to pay all over again to change your name back!!!

There are still provinces in Canada that are old fashioned though ;););)

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
I dont think its the provinces that are old fashioned... or a custom to be called anything but a Choice for a women , who may, or may not want to change their surname. I dont think I know one couple in the last 10 yrs, who have married , where the women did not change her last name. To each their own

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I dont think I know one couple in the last 10 yrs, who have married , where the women did not change her last name. To each their own

I don't know one that did change theirs, including me. I've had my name my whole life, why would I change it. Maybe he could change his name to mine ;)

The old fashion bit was a joke ;););) That's what smiley faces are for.

I was stating to Chiri what actually happens in parts of Canada because she thought otherwise.

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
it does, they even read it when you get married...both parties to the marriage keep their name ...blablabla

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006

Where do you live in Canada that it is a law you cannot take your husbands name. I have never heard of such a law

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I am from Qu?bec. I assume Isabelle13 is also from Qu?bec since she seems aware. This has been this way for 20 years.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Options for Ontario - copied from Service Ontario website

CHANGING YOUR NAME DUE TO A RELATIONSHIP & CHANGING IT BACK
There are two ways to change your name due to a change in relationship;

1. Assuming a Spouse's or Partner?s Name

Assuming a name due to a relationship is the most common practice in Canada.

Once you are married, you may apply to change all your identification (health card, drivers licence, passport and banking information etc.) with your marriage certificate. You may assume your spouse?s/partner?s last name (surname) or a combination of your last name and your spouse?s/partner?s last name (hyphenated surname). It is really that simple.

The benefit of not completing a legal name change, is that it does not change the name on your birth certificate.

If you wish to use your legal name again, you simply revert back by presenting your birth certificate as proof of your legal name.

OR

2. Electing to Change your Name to a Spouse's or Partner?s Name

Individuals may choose to legally change their last name (surname) as a result of marriage or a common-law relationship by filling out an Election to Change Surname form.

Couples living together in a conjugal relationship (common law) will also need to file a form called a Joint Declaration of Conjugal Relationship.

There is no fee for this type of name change, if it is made at the time of the marriage or at the time of filing a Joint Declaration of Conjugal Relationship.

Please be aware that if you elect to legally change your name and were born in Ontario, your last name (surname) as it appears on your birth certificate will change. Your birth certificate will show your new name and your previous last name. If you wish to revert back to your previous name at any time, you will need to contact the Office of the Registrar General to complete another name change.

Following a divorce, dissolution of a conjugal relationship or death of a spouse, you may make an application to legally resume your previous last name (surname) by filling out an Election to Resume Former Surname form. Note, this must be done within 90 days after the event. Otherwise you will need to apply for a Formal Adult Name Change.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in poland you can chose following options: leave maiden surname, change to husbands (most common), have both in combination maiden-husband.
i find my new surname quite silly: typically polish xxxxxxska plus typically dominican de xxxx .
my resolution is to ignore this imposed change and stick to my maiden guns. i can't imagine what a hopeless case it would be if i'd decide to change my name into a new post-marriage version. better keep my mouth shut and pretend nothing happened.
you think this may be illegal?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
dv8 - congratulations! You don't need to do/change anything. The 'de Xxxx' bit is optional, mostly found among the upper classes. However, the Do?a Dxxxx Xxxxska de Xxxx is sure to make you sound like some European aristocrat right out of Hello! magazine, so why not indulge yourself?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks!
glad to know de xxx is optional, i swear that to me it sounds like a perfect name for a kid of essex slapper with some latin fantasies. :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky: