Good Beach near SD??

NY76

Jan 28, 2008
I'm heading down with my wife and want to hit a beach, but we're stayig in SD. I was told a taxi to Boca chica would be $130 US for the roundtrip. This can't be the best deal. Help.
Thanks.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The best beaches near SD are in Juan Dolio. Boca Chica is nice, but the town ruins the experience.

On the other side of the island, in las Salinas there are some relatively nice beaches. However, the nicest one's near SD are in Juan Dolio.

-NALs

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I like Carribean Sun, about 10 min east of Boca Chica. It's a smaller beach, with waves, and not too much hassle.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
For a day trip from SD Boca Chica beach has the advantage of having the largest lagoon in the Caribbean, sheltered by a reef about a quarter of a mile off shore. It's a great swimming beach and the water is shallow enough so that you can walk out to the reef.

If you spend the day at the Playa Vista beach cliub just behind the Europa Hotel you can have a pleasant experience at a place run by a great Englishman and a pretty good Dane.

The downside is the many beach vendors but they can be dismissed with a smile and a "no gracias."

There are hookers who ply their trade and that is a turn off if you are not used to third world "ambience" but they won't bother you (while your wife is looking :laugh:).

The night scene in Boca Chica can help you understand the concept of "low life".

The other beaches mentioned are nice but Boca Chica town has more options for eating.

$130 round trip for a taxi is a rip off.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
go to Boca Chica- and spend US$100 and serious scratchinig time on lotions and bug bites, bacteria from the putrid unfiltering water there.
suggest Juan Dolio beaches that are wide open, serious diving and water that filters/circulates instead of the big salt water pool at Boca Chica.
You can get there by Bus - about 35 minutes - dont wear jewelry/expensive watches anywhere and bring enough Dominican currency so you don't get ripped off by the local exchange houses all over the DR
You will enjoy your day.

CES

Jan 1, 2002
The best beach . . .

I'm heading down with my wife and want to hit a beach, but we're stayig in SD. I was told a taxi to Boca chica would be $130 US for the roundtrip. This can't be the best deal. Help.
Thanks.

Go to this website ===>

_www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental_

===>

Guayacanes is from 15 km las Americas airport, 40 km from Santo Domingo, 17 km from San Pedro De Macoris with motorways and 2 km before Juan Dolio ( Resorts, Condominiums). This fact that the village retains its authenticity and its tranquility.

:alien:
__ces

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
Guayacanes

I have to agree about Guayacanes and Juan Dolio. I especially like the more rustic feel of Guayacanes. There is also a great restaurant there, Playa del Pescador. The absolute best food and the prices are very reasonable.

Good luck!

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I have to agree about Guayacanes and Juan Dolio. I especially like the more rustic feel of Guayacanes. There is also a great restaurant there, Playa del Pescador. The absolute best food and the prices are very reasonable.

Good luck!

Where is that restaurant located?

CES

Jan 1, 2002
Where is that restaurant located?

Pull up the website I linked and you'll see the restaurant, we were there last Oct., the food and service, top notch.

alien.gif

__ces

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i think it depends on what day you are doing the beach. Juan Dolio is nice but really sorta boring. Boca Chica is nice tues-friday...but gets really crowded on sunday. There is the other problem with paying for beach chairs etc. I dont pay where i sit...but if you are a newbie you will have to negotiate this before you sit. You can usually negotiate a free chair etc if you agree to but lunch and a couple of drinks....but for certain ask before getting comfortable.

People bitch about BC....but if you want just a day or so in the carib its good enough. Juan Dolio isnt as crowded....but the water is kinda funky. Guyacannes is nice but you have to know where to sit as you can be harrangued by some locals looking for a fee (even with no chair). Playa Caribe is great....no hassles at all. its just really small and the waves are really big. (i love it there)

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Thanks.

assuming from your handle that you're from NY one would guess that you're not seeking a redneck place...go to Aura in Juan Dolio.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
assuming from your handle that you're from NY one would guess that you're not seeking a redneck place...go to Aura in Juan Dolio.

that is hillarious! Us NYC'rs are known for the love of Coney Island, Riis Beach and other less than spectacular beaches.

Many NYC'rs dont mind a little bit of honkey tonk at the beach. In january or february we just want wamrth and water. If anything I would say a typical NYC'r would prefer boca chica as it kinda fun to watch the scene on the beach. (i would just recommend going to the farther end of the beach (west) to avoid the europeans).

Juan Dolio is ok...but its just boring. As a NYC'r i prefer some people watching. I have heard the same complaints from co-workers who've been to PC. They say its pretty...but boring.

CES

Jan 1, 2002
40+ years . . .

'. . . People bitch about BC....but if you want just a day or so in the carib its good enough.

'. . . Guyacannes is nice but you have to know where to sit as you can be harrangued by some locals looking for a fee )

Mi esposa es una Dominican, so if you what to hear some real bitchn' about BC then just ask her. She would spend summer vacations w/at her friends parent's beach homes back in the 50s & 60s, I made my first visit in 1966. Now la Se?ora can't stand what has become of BC and the only reason we go there is to eat at Neptunos restaurant, good sea food and the ambiance of dinning on/over the water.

Guyacannes is today what BC was years ago. If you go on week days the restaurant will let you stay most all day (use their chairs, shade, facilities, etc.) just buy some drinks and food. Some time in the not to distant future we'll be renting the house that I linked above.

alien.gif

__ces

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
listen...i am not trying to start any ****ing contests here. Actually they have cleaned up BC pretty well over the past few years.

If somone wants real luxury....then you go to casa de campo, and the like. If you are a humble traveler on a budget tho...aint nuffin wrong with BC and the other smaller towns.