Metal-Detecting at the Beaches

tpires315

Jan 29, 2008
Heading to Bahia Principe in April. Wondering if it's o.k. to metal detect while at the beach there. If it is allowed can you go any time in the day (or night) Also if allowed anything I should be aware of. Thanks

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Oh heavens .. I'm just laughing so much .. metal detecting on the beaches in the DR? If anyone, any Dominican, should lose a quarter on the sands here, they'll probably call out the whole neighborhood to come and dig for it.

Anyways .. do it! I've seen so many folks do this on the US beaches. So, give it whirl won't you and let us know what happens.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Yeh, I like to know too, you probably have an army of kids behind you and if you find something it will suddenly have 100 owners saying it is theirs !?

But if you do well you can probably sell your kit for a profit and start importing more !!! A new trend.....

pas

Jun 7, 2004
well know a dutch man who did it around sosua area..okt 2007..
and you would be amazed with all the stuff he found ...
from coins to golden rings ..bracelets,..

tpires315

Jan 29, 2008
When you consider the age and history of the D.R., I am surprised metel detecting is not a very popuar hobby there. There certainly must be old coins and relics in the old fields and farmlands from the 15-1700's when it was first occupied. Considering the tourism there now, the beaches should be a very good place to find jewelry items in the water that swimmers have lost. You would be amazed at the gold and silver rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc. that people lose while swimming in the water. Thank you for the help. Since there does not appear to be any prohibition against detecting, I think I will bring my detector when I come there. Thank you again

J

John Evans

i believe you would find quite a bit...ive come home with a kopec or two and thats without a metal detector...seen a lot of coins while snorkling but they were too deep lol

aamybush

Nov 27, 2008
Yeh, I like to know too, you probably have an army of kids behind you and if you find something it will suddenly have 100 owners saying it is theirs !?

But if you do well you can probably sell your kit for a profit and start importing more !!! A new trend.....

ha ha Well said. I dont know what he will get from beach.
I also heard the same thing that they will show you ownership if he will find some thing

tpires315

Jan 29, 2008
Not much, several small denomination coins from many countries. I was at Grand Bahia in Punta Cana, beach is very sandy and a water a little rough when I was there. Those conditions are not favorable for detecting. The coins I found were very deep. No gold or silver jewelry. People have become very aware of their personal items such as rings and either take them before going in to the water or leave them at the hotel.
Especially with the price of gold these days. Like anything else you have to be there at the right time. I would like to try some of the old farm fields outside the capital some day. Should be some nice old spanish coins in the ground. Maybe next time I go.

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
I know there is a guy here in Punta Cana that does it on a regular basis. I think he sells the jewelry to a store here so it can be melted down and made into something else. I guess there is nothing prohibiting it since he seems to have been doing it for years.

tpires315

Jan 29, 2008
It is a nice hobby, especially if you enjoy history. You are not going to get rich from detecting as many people think.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I know there is a guy here in Punta Cana that does it on a regular basis. I think he sells the jewelry to a store here so it can be melted down and made into something else. I guess there is nothing prohibiting it since he seems to have been doing it for years.

The guy is a canadian from Montreal, is he not?? He was married with a dominicana. She lives in Montreal or used to live (I think she moved to Toronto) and he moved to the D.R.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I'd walk the water line...if you had a detector designed for underwater use, you could walk in, up to about waist deep....where a lot of people play in the surf....and increase your findings....put your scoop or sifting basket on an extention pole and you're good to go

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
Mariposa - Yes I do believe that he is Canadian. I don't know about his wife. I've said hello to him a few times but that's about it, but I always see him with his metal detector. I've thought about picking one up in the States myself just to see how it would go. Maybe I'll get one on my next trip.