Snorkling daytrip

Stateside

Dec 11, 2007
Traveling to the DR for the first time next month, my fiance and I are going to be spending three days at an AI in Bavaro. Since we definitely want a snorkling day trip, Isla Saona and Isla Catalina seem to rise to the top.
1) are we looking at the right destinations for the best snorkling? (selfishly want to see the best fish/most color, but my conscience wants us to also ensure we're 'tredding lightly'-- making as little impact on the environment as possible)
2) is it reasonable to expect to be able to do it as a daytrip and still remain fun/relaxing?
3) is there a recommended tour company (or alternate recommendation) for such a trip?
4) should we rent snorkling 'equipment' from a local company or use what the tour offers? (recognize importance of it being well maintained and fitting right)

And since alcohol is mentioned in most postings regarding snorkling excursions, thought is was worth mentioning that access to it is not a factor in our decision of one tour over another. We're there for the purpose of snorkling.

Thanks!