How to stop bribe taking. Solution enclosed

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Thought you might be interested in how to stop the corruption (big time) at the airports and other hot spots of the DR.
From this morning's NYT

DEATH FOR BRIBERY

Iran has executed an airport customs contractor accused of bribe-taking and has sentenced three others employees to death.. a spokesman said 3 employees of Mehrabad Airport in Tehran have been charged with " bureaucratic corruption, economic crimes, inference in the economic system and other crimes"

Quick and to the point.
john

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
If applied to the D.R. this penalty would result in genocide.

Yes, but the island is overpopulated and setting an example (meaning, implementing such a law) perhaps IS THE ONLY WAY for these criminals to stop abusing tourists and nationals, getting rid of at least a couple parasites won't hurt it...Perhaps people will learn the lesson (stop bribing) once they start implementing it, especially if it is done in public view like they do in those countries.

A este pa?s, le hace falta un l?der que les de un poco de miedo...por lo menos, talvez esto har? que progresemos en ciertas ?reas.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Yes, but the island is overpopulated and setting an example (meaning, implementing such a law) perhaps IS THE ONLY WAY for these criminals to stop abusing tourists and nationals, getting rid of at least a couple parasites won't hurt it...Perhaps people will learn the lesson (stop bribing) once they start implementing it, especially if it is done in public view like they do in those countries.

A este pa?s, le hace falta un l?der que les de un poco de miedo...por lo menos, talvez esto har? que progresemos en ciertas ?reas.

That's exactly what I was thinking, now if we could only find a way to either clone or resurrect Trujillo, we'd be all set. Let's not educate people or pay people respectable wages so they aren't enticed to take bribes. Let's just kill them. That ought to solve all our problems. I mean, who cares about human rights anyways. Right?

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
You know, the tourism sector should police itself. It is to their own benefit. Some of the big Ai groups should flex their muscle a bit and get the abuse to stop. That is who can and should do something.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
You know, the tourism sector should police itself. It is to their own benefit. Some of the big Ai groups should flex their muscle a bit and get the abuse to stop. That is who can and should do something.

Agree, I have been to several AIs, including one in Arabic country. Male resort workers were extremely nice. No one asked for anything. They offered services (hair cuts, massages, spas) etc., but nothing illegal involved. No extra charges or harassment. Manager explained they are afraid to get fired. Why they are not scared of ANYTHING in the DR? Is resort management and other officials get a part of profits or what?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Why they are not scared of ANYTHING in the DR? Is resort management and other officials get a part of profits or what?

The resort workers here have so many fat canadian / american women sending them money on monthly basis that they can care less if they get booted from their jobs. They are all set with monthly income inflow from their girlfriends.
AZB

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I wa referring to the resort LOBBY doing something politically. If tourists are getting shook down at the airport, its bad for resort business. Bad rep entering and leaving a country is bad for tourism. The large hotiers have tons of political clout.
As for entering and leaving by boat, that is a complete shakedown. The commandantes that issue your papers expect a propino. Ive come and gone from here by boat maybe 50 times and it is non stop. For folks entering for their first time, without the language skills or the experience in a latino country, they get hit a lot. And my friends in the Marina de Guerra actually want to be posted in ports where private vessels embark and disembark because they make a lot more money.

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
The law is a good idea but it could make things more difficult as well. If we get a certain political party in control of the nation (I'm not suggesting to any, just giving an example) and lets say that this party was fairly corrupt they could just use this law as a way of getting rid of people they don't want to deal with. A death penalty in this country could only be taken seriously if the corruption was to be dealth with first. I guess that means no death penalty! :ermm:

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008

Kill 'em? Wow!

I read your posts and think, "Hey, there's a Dominican who loves the DR."

But now this post...

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
The law is a good idea but it could make things more difficult as well. If we get a certain political party in control of the nation (I'm not suggesting to any, just giving an example) and lets say that this party was fairly corrupt they could just use this law as a way of getting rid of people they don't want to deal with. A death penalty in this country could only be taken seriously if the corruption was to be dealth with first. I guess that means no death penalty! :ermm:

And from a future doctor to boot.